Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Canterbury Suitcase Sound Issues?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just re-tracked ALL of my Canterbury tracks last weekend, going through extremely rigorous listening with and without internal effects etc. and coming to strong conclusions about best practices, then doing the same for the new Scarbee Rhodes and finding I really only like that one for RTF textures and don't understand its signal flow at all, or even how it was miked/DI'ed/amped/etc. (a suitcase model has a built-in speaker, of course, so I at least disengage the speaker plug-in for Canterbury if a preset includes it).

Please let me know how you number your octaves, so I know what to listen for.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I liked Cantebury despite that abrupt decay on the B below Middle C.

All of my other Rhodes emus don"t let me comp left handed while soloing w/o having to play lighter which is an added distraction.

Cantebury was great for comps with over the top right hand presence. Just like the real Stage model.

But Keyscape Rhodes and Custom work better for me so Cantebury is on an External SSD.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I liked Cantebury despite that abrupt decay on the B below Middle C.

All of my other Rhodes emus don"t let me comp left handed while soloing w/o having to play lighter which is an added distraction.

Cantebury was great for comps with over the top right hand presence. Just like the real Stage model.

But Keyscape Rhodes and Custom work better for me so Cantebury is on an External SSD.

Abrupt decay....you worded it better than me, exactly what I'm hearing. In addition to the think upper register.

Korg SV2, Nord Electro 5D, Gigperformer/lots of VSTs

Only caught it because of my triple zone performance on a disco tune called Freak Out.

Left hand Rhodes is Am > Bm, but actually a C Major Triad 2nd Inversion, then a D the same way. Both playing a clustered root for a 4 voice chord.

That B dropping out really jacked me off.

Strings and horns were more sparse, so when I needed the sustain it was absent.

Lowest velocity sustains okay but it"s so noticable you think your key contact is shot.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I missed the original thread as it was during the time I was out of the country for my godson's wedding and 100% off-line. I've printed both topics for review later this week.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager