Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Lyle Mays

https://m.facebook.com/LyleMays/photos/a.67520478696/10157028846863697/?type=3&source=48

For those not on FB:

'It is with deep sadness that I share that my uncle, Lyle Mays, passed away this morning in Los Angeles surrounded by loved ones, after a long battle with a recurring illness. Lyle was a brilliant musician and person, and a genius in every sense of the word. He was my dear uncle, mentor, and friend and words cannot express the depth of my grief.

From his family, thank you for loving him and his music.'

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of the 'jazz culture" is 'be hip, not corny". But Lyle wasn"t afraid to be 'romantic", as in 19th century Romantic. He used the word 'drama" to describe it. There is Sturm und Drang in his music.

For me this gave his work, especially with PMG, a timelessness. The marriage of new music and very old sensibilities.

And the sense that the music he made was coming from a complete person.

Oh hell, I"ve been missing him for years, and now I know he"s not coming back. I think it"s time to relisten to the last section of Wichita Falls.

This is so sad. I'm literally in tears. The only comfort is that he had already "retired" from the music business and seemed content with his body of work, which is indeed massive. RIP Lyle and thanks for inspiring me to become a musician. The first time I heard "Phase Dance" my life was forever changed.

So sad. Didn't know he was ill. I got to see him with the PMG a couple of times. Such great shows with great musicians. His first solo release is a favorite of mine. Also, he recorded with bassist Eberhard Weber in a live recording that's different than his PMG music, but just as compelling. RIP

[video:youtube]

I was able to see every Pat Metheny Group tour from First Circle to The Way Up. I also attended many of Metheny"s non-Group shows. There was always something special about the Metheny/Mays connection. Many of us always held out hope that one day they would collaborate again and reunite that special chemistry. Sadly, that can never happen. Also sad that during the past fifteen years we heard very little from Lyle. This is an enormous hole in the world of music. RIP Lyle.

Sad, sad day. He was a phenomenal musician. I first experienced Lyle with PMG when I saw them in NYC in '85 at the Pier 84 next to the Intrepid during the First Circle tour. They opened with First Circle and I was transfixed. Lyle's first solo record is still in my listening rotation. The Way Up is a masterpiece.
Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

He was a very early inspiration! We are fortunate to have his catalogue to listen to.

I loved his first two solo records...interestingly enough, the first one still sounds good today!

That first record really revealed to me who Mr. Mays was. ( In comparison, I thought he sounded more restricted in the Metheny group...)

I played the heck out of all those Metheny and Mays records in 80s and 90s - to the point where I have trouble hearing them with the right ears anymore. Overplayed, possibly?

But Lyle's first solo record (and perhaps "Offramp") still sounds vital and alive today. Thank you so much, Lyle!

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

From my Lylecentric playlist for today, a track from an ECM album by Steve Swallow called 'Home'- musical settings for poems by Robert Creeley, with Lyle Mays on synth casting a mood that matches mine today. Sadly this link only works for 'YouTube Premium' subscribers; since I'm a 'regular' guy, I'm taking it on faith that it'll work for those who are paid up.

Next up on my list, 'Imaginary Day' in 5.1 surround. Pretty much an epic experience.

Thanks for the beauty you sent into the world, Mr. Mays.

[video:youtube]

I got to see The PM Group years back when I was still having afterglow from the main prog era and I was floored by Lyle's fluidity. He also showed me a completely new angle on synths that left a positive impression on my own approach. Anything from ECM always has great inherent worth, but I especially liked his work there. I've never been a huge jazz fan in the usual sense, but I've always been a fan of Lyle. He had a superior musical run worth remembering... and re-playing at home.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Ohhh, that´s so sad !

He´s my generation, one of my all time favourites and was always an idol for me.

PMG, Hamburg/Germany, Onkel Pö´s Club ...

I was there and it was a revelation !

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJAS6RkLtjg&fbclid=IwAR1sD8U45S4BOT74oKUe3bkrcrARzxzlkGJGef42hnQG_MzYzbG3i6erE-I

RIP Lyle

A.C.