Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Revisiting the Korg Wavestation A/D-new vid

I thought this was very well made vid, perhaps interesting to some...wonderful pads near the end.

2 Korg M3-73's, Korg WS AD, Radias, , Kurz PC3LE7, Alesis QS6 + QS7.1 used for MIDI controllers. Omnisphere, Alchemy, Painoteq, Spacestation Amp and Berringer 14" sub

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great video. Brought back the painful memories of programming wave sequences from the front panel. Other than the analog inputs for vocoder can't see why you wouldn't use the soft synth version.

"I only found it appropriate to show you that the old Wavestation A/D beats any newcomer by K.O. in the first round."

Respect for this guys talent and technical depth in programming. But...come on, its just a frigg'n box of electronics. Get over the physical attachment and get real. Feature- wise the Wavestate blows this thing away. And that's from someone that has an A/D sitting idle in my back room and no interest in resurrecting it. I'll wait for the Wavestate VST.

I really wish the Wavestate was offered with a fully 61 note, professionally feeling keybed with aftertouch. The Wavestate is really, really cool but the 37 note keybed is poop.

The target market can't figure out why it's generoulsly equipped with 25 spare keys.

I really wish the Wavestate was offered with a fully 61 note, professionally feeling keybed with aftertouch. The Wavestate is really, really cool but the 37 note keybed is poop.

I also think the Wavestate is a great sounding tool after watching several "no talking, just playing" demo videos.

The price is right too and I expect the street price to be lower soon.

Form factor and keyspan is for the home studio/bedroom producer, but I´d use it "local off", play on my 88, 76 and 61 keys controllers and use it´s small internal keyboards for bass/ synth-bass, add. samples/special FX etc..

I think that makes sense in a rig.

A.C.

The form factor Korg chose seems confusing.

Given the way Korg markets, a guess is that Korg was trying to appeal to the Hip Hop and EDM musician crowd. Both are sizable consumer markets. The strange key size and $799 price also points in that direction.

I don't follow J-pop so that there might be other music niches to market to.

If I was Pres of Korg I would have gone for 61 key, and desk top models. Plus the ability to audio in and manage samples. $1199 and/or $899 wouldn't bother me.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Yes that was the first thing I thought too!

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

The target market can't figure out why it's generoulsly equipped with 25 spare keys.

:hugegrin:

:nopity:

Yes that was the first thing I thought too!

+1

Safe to say we aren't the target market.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I was on the beta team for the Wavestate and my conversations with my friend at Korg often strayed back to this. I could live with 37 notes if I absolutely had to, but no aftertouch? Really? And at least one person at Korg hinted that they're looking more at a larger model with a proper keybed than a desktop version like the minilogue xd's, which would really bother me if true. It would be an ideal MPE machine and something that small yet powerful (hooked up to my LinnStrument) would let me do some gigs without a computer, which I'd adore...

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Mike, I hear your pain! I'm with Al Coda, too. The smartest compromise with these smaller items is to see them as modules. Imperfect, but yeah. That view makes the Wavestate much more appealing to me.

Ever see that eclectic stack Vangelis had going in the earlier stages of his big-splash period with "Chariots of Fire" and "China?" Four or five Wavestates essentially EQUAL that in total range & polyphony. Being four independent synth engines in one, programming a Wavestate is less like using a standard synth and more like a starter DAW in complexity. I don't think a 61-key model will help that unless they give it a prohibitively-pricey Quantum-like touchscreen. That kind of high-end design/price pulls it away from the No Computer ideal.

I have the Legacy Wavestation, but programming it is no better than the dark legends of the EX describe. I'm hoping for a Wavestate Mac editor, because those breakout lanes suddenly open up the core of what drew me to the original. Like I don't have enough artifacts of previous bouts of GAS right in front of me. :rolleyes::laugh:

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

I was on the beta team for the Wavestate and my conversations with my friend at Korg often strayed back to this. I could live with 37 notes if I absolutely had to, but no aftertouch? Really? And at least one person at Korg hinted that they're looking more at a larger model with a proper keybed than a desktop version like the minilogue xd's, which would really bother me if true. It would be an ideal MPE machine and something that small yet powerful (hooked up to my LinnStrument) would let me do some gigs without a computer, which I'd adore...

Yeah Dr. Mike ... I also PREFER 61keys of quality synth action w/ (ideally poly-) AT,- but it doesn´t happen,- especially not at this price point.

So ... 2 options only: Take as it is or pass.

I own a excellent condition Wavestation SR module anyway,- but the Wavestate sounds somewhat more advanced IMO.

I´d wish they come w/ a 1HU rack soon,- but I also doubt it will happen at all.

The Wavestate´s keyboard action is more or less crappy anyway, but not unusable when you performed on a Pratt-Read J-Wire contact Prophet-5 keyboard in the past or similar.

I´ll find some use for the 3-oct action in local off mode even w/o AT and before I´d saw it off.

A.C.