Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any way to "refresh" the plastic case of a synth?

Hey gang, I just picked up a K2000. It's in pretty good shape, but the case looks like it has dust on it permanently....meaning, that wiping it down with a dust cloth or wet paper towel doesn't remove it.

It's not the end of the world if I can't get it off, and I can live with its sign of age. But I was wondering....is there any sort of spray or cleaner or treatment that could "refresh" the black plastic case to look a little better? Sort of like the stuff some people use on the dashboard of a car's interior?

Thanks!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question: Could it actually be dust that's just stuck to the case with who-knows-what kind of stickiness (say, cooking grease, for instance)?

Possible solution: Naptha (aka lighter fluid/charcoal starter fluid) is an excellent solvent for that sort of problem. Buy a quart. It's cheap and you can also use it to remove the gummy residue left after removing labels and a thousand other things. It also works pretty well on that nasty brown slime that results from cigarettes.

Anyone need incentive to quit smoking? Wipe down an old Hammon A-100 that belonged to a smoker. Consider that your lungs look like that on the inside. (ewwwww...)

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I keep a variety of solvents on hand, here's the order of usage I would suggest, based on my experience with regard to "plastic friendlieness":

water

windex

rubbing alcohol (from your medicine cabinet)

denatured alcohol (from a paint store)

paint thinner (mineral spirits)

The following have demonstrated some degree of "unfriendliness" (a.k.a. melting) to plastics, so I can't recommend using them on your synth case, but just for reference:

Goo Gone

lacquer thinner

epoxy thinner

acetone

Lou

Just a thought, but I would try Armorall.

While that seems like a proper idea....don't do it. It will leave a permanent weird feeling sheen....

If it were me, I'd take it apart and paint the thing :) but that's me.....

used sparingly, non-chlorinated brake cleaner can clean these kinds of plastics without melting anything. Be Careful.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

There's a product called "Back to Black" used for restoring black plastic or rubber trim in cars.... It might work.

Be sure to test carefully whatever you decide to try. Like on the bottom where any stains won't be visible. I have some tools with plastic handles and the handles got spotted with brake cleaner. Not damaged; just discolored.

I use Krud Kutter for cleaning plastics or finishes.

It is a citrus based solvent. It doesn't smell bad and the fumes are not toxic.

It has yet to cause any problems in my applications.

It will remove sticker goo and other funk quickly and easily. Does not leave a residue if you wipe with an old cotton T shirt.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

It will remove sticker goo and other funk quickly and easily. Does not leave a residue if you wipe with an old cotton T shirt.

This sounds appealing...where does a person usually pick that up? Home Depot? Auto parts store? Grocery store?

This sounds appealing...where does a person usually pick that up? Home Depot? Auto parts store? Grocery store?

I've found it at our local Fred Meyer (part of the Kroger chain). I'm sure Auto parts stores and Home Depot/Lowes should have it.

I really ike it, am tired of using VOCs and the results are really good. I'll usually spray a safe amount on a spot isn't subject to overspray and the spread it around with my fingers (dishwashing gloves are cheap and work great). Then I wait a bit and let it works it's magic.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

You need a product made to prevent UV damage. FORMULA 303 protectant is available at marine and auto supply stores. Best I"ve tried.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

K2000 made of plastic?

That's not how I remember it.

Great board, congrats, how i yearned for one back in the day, but could never afford.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's plastic. Albeit a very rugged, tough seeming plastic. I guess it could be some odd composite?

I'm certain that the K2500, K2600 and others are metal.

Just a thought, but I would try Armorall.

+1 to that -- clean it with Windex first. Some solvents may discolor the plastic.

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

As mentioned above, avoid acetone and lacquer thinner (which often contains acetone as part of the mix). Other than that, most anything is "safe" for this sort of situation. Personally, I tend to avoid some of the preservative sorts of things because they can indeed leave the surface feeling greasy/slimy/sticky. I've got some sort of Armorall product that makes whatever you put it on so sticky that dust adheres to it and will not come off, no matter what you do. Counterproductive for you, I think. (No, I don't remember which product it is--smallish [4 oz.?] pump-squirt bottle. If it matters I'll go hunt the bottle down and read the label.) Your choice.

If you're worried, test in the proverbial "inconspicuous spot."

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.