Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

King Crimson 2020 Tour

King Crimson will be touring for six weeks this summer in June and early July together with the Zappa band in the USA and Canada. The full list of dates is yet to be confirmed, but today does see the announcement of a concert at The Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts in Vienna, Virginia on June 30th.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/921/TZWQxT.jpg

:nopity:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to roadie and do sound for a name guitarist and we opened for King Crimson once back in the mid 70's. I was hanging out watching Crimson's sound check it was the first time I ever saw a custom guitar pedalboard. But the best part was after the sound check Crimson started jamming and they were doing Jame Brown grooves and other funk stuff. It was so cool hearing them do stuff outside there normal fare and they sound great. I think it was Bill Bruford on drums and he was really grooving his ass off.

I think it was Bill Bruford on drums and he was really grooving his ass off.
Sounds like an amazing fly-on-the-wall moment... Bill is of course a master of Progressive Rock Drumming, something my funk band's drummer had to come to grips with when we started covering Long Distance Runaround and he came to understand the agony of playing in 5/8 while the rest of the band is in 4/4, just because. I would love to hear what Bruford sounds like laying down a James Brown groove!

Interested to check out who will be in this lineup of King Crimson. It's a band that never lacks for musical talent, to say the least.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I was lucky enough to catch the band for their 50th anniversary show at the Albert Hall last summer and it was MAGICAL. One of (if not the) best concert of my life. The three drummer layout is inspiring, visually gripping, and far more musical than one would expect. They literally "threw fills" from one side of the stage to the other, definitely a unique sound and experience you won't see with any other band. The rest of the band was in top form. If you get the chance, don't miss it.

One of the great things about King Crimson is they never made their mark out of a "youthful energetic stage show", they were always the methodical discipline band. Fripp's always been a fuddy-duddy, yet they always made the gods tremble. That means that even in their old age, they really don't lose anything. I'm not old enough to have seen Crimson back in their hey day(s) (they've had a few), but from the clips I've seen from the past, they're pretty much as rock and roll as they've ever been: they just stand there, play their instruments, and the walls come crashing down.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

One of the great things about King Crimson is they never made their mark out of a "youthful energetic stage show", they were always the methodical discipline band. Fripp's always been a fuddy-duddy, yet they always made the gods tremble. That means that even in their old age, they really don't lose anything. I'm not old enough to have seen Crimson back in their hey day(s) (they've had a few), but from the clips I've seen from the past, they're pretty much as rock and roll as they've ever been: they just stand there, play their instruments, and the walls come crashing down.

Adrian Belew was pretty engaging and animated as a front man back in the 80s. Fripp as you mentioned was always a dour sort.

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

I think it was Bill Bruford on drums and he was really grooving his ass off.
Sounds like an amazing fly-on-the-wall moment... Bill is of course a master of Progressive Rock Drumming, something my funk band's drummer had to come to grips with when we started covering Long Distance Runaround and he came to understand the agony of playing in 5/8 while the rest of the band is in 4/4, just because. I would love to hear what Bruford sounds like laying down a James Brown groove!

Interested to check out who will be in this lineup of King Crimson. It's a band that never lacks for musical talent, to say the least.

It looks like the lineup is the same as last year's, which was STELLAR.

For Bruford funk: the jam section in Roundabout?

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Fripp, Belew, Levin & Bruford ...

The Crimson lineup I liked most.

All the other were good too,- but that "Discipline" lineup was something special,- at least for me.

For me, the mid-90s Thrak sextet took that sound and brought it to the next level.

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

The trouble all the old guys face now is some Tributes sound better.

On Fremont Street I saw a Steppenwolf Tribute that was impressive.

Captured all sounds and vocals were spot on.

The AC/DC Tribute out of Nashville is also that good.

Other tribs, and I"ve seen most are good, but don"t capture the total sound.

Sure, there"s recordings that are better, but live is where the rubber meets the road.

Loved Crimson though.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Sure, there"s recordings that are better, but live is where the rubber meets the road.

Loved Crimson though.

Saw Crimson very recently. They haven't lost anything, despite their age - not even Mel Collins, who set the record for longest sabbatical (40+ years) from a band.

Jakko as frontman is a lot more "formal" than Adrian was, but to me that does not equate to slowing down with age.

Not so with KC. The thing is, KC is always reinventing themselves, and they wouldn't be King Crimson otherwise. A KC tribute loses a lot because it attempts to be conservative, while the real KC would show up with a few more drummers, a didgeridoo, or whatever their next evolution may be.

I will admit that Jakko is a completely different animal than Belew. "Indiscipline" in particular is very weird when sung. I didn't like it at first, but really warmed to it live. He absolutely KILLS the Greg Lake and Wetton material though. Epitaph has never been more chilling.

Loved Crimson though.

No-one can do a tribute to Crimson, they are in a complete league of their own.

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Fripp, Belew, Levin & Bruford ...

The Crimson lineup I liked most.

All the other were good too,- but that "Discipline" lineup was something special,- at least for me.

Same here, saw them several times back in the 81-84 period, truly amazing. Have since seen several versions including a Fripp solo tour, also great but the early 80's quartet remains the best.