Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! #3028217 02/09/20 08:25 PM
Dave Ferris Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Just read this on Face Book and passing it on. I'll post the link, and copy and paste for those not on FB. Very sad. I can't begin to fathom how devastated this Great Artist is. I simply adore her playing ! cry

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I feel ready now to share a very sad piece of news. It happened ten days ago, and has been such a shock to me that I didn't immediately want to share it with the world. For the moment I will just write this, and not comment further. At the end of my most recent CD recording sessions (Beethoven Variations in Berlin), when I was so happy with the results and feeling elated, the piano movers came into the control room (where I was finishing up with my producer) to say they had dropped my precious Fazioli concert grand piano. My very own that I have used for all of my CD recordings done in Europe since 2003 (and of course for many concerts). I couldn't believe it. Well yes, it happened, and unfortunately the piano, now that it has been inspected by Ing. Fazioli and his staff, is not salvageable. The iron frame is broken, as well as much else in the structure and action (not to mention the lid and other parts of the case). It makes no sense, financially or artistically, to rebuild this piano from scratch. It's kaputt. The movers of course were mortified. In 35 years of doing their job, this had never happened before. At least nobody was hurt.

I adored this piano. It was my best friend, best companion. I loved how it felt when I was recording--giving me the possibility to do anything I wanted. It was also the only F278 Fazioli in the world to have the 4-pedal mechanism (normally reserved for the F308 model). And It only recently had new hammers and strings put on it. You will hear on the Beethoven Variations CD (when it comes out in November, I hope) that it was in top form. Now it is no longer.

For my festival this summer in Umbria, of course we will still have Faziolis--that goes without saying. And at least I have no recording scheduled in the next few months. But now there is all the insurance saga (hopefully this won't take long), and then I can choose a new one in Sacile when Mr. Fazioli has three of them ready for me. But what with his production schedule, and my touring around the world, this will take some months, I imagine.

You can hear this piano on my most recent recording--the Six Partitas of Bach (BBC Music Magazine's Record of the Month, by the way), but also on so many others. One of my favourites for the sheer quality of sound and colour from my Fazioli is the Debussy CD, of which you can hear extracts here. I hope my piano will be happy in piano heaven.....

https://www.facebook.com/angela.hewitt.37/posts/2766502216797870

KC Island
Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3028220 02/09/20 08:49 PM
Michael Wright Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
What a shame.

Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3028227 02/09/20 09:28 PM
marino Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
So sorry to hear that. Angela is a genius artist, and very much at home in Italy. Love her Scarlatti, Bach,Debussy.

Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3028233 02/09/20 10:10 PM
analogika Offline
While an utter shame, at least it’s not a historic instrument and is somewhat replaceable.

I can’t imagine what those movers must feel like.

Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3028238 02/09/20 11:10 PM
N
Nathanael_I Offline
N
Devastating. Most of us can only have that relationship with an instrument in our homes. For an artist of her caliber who has been able to take the same instrument everywhere she needs it to be, I can only imagine how well she knew the ins-and-outs of that instrument. And after so many years of being worked on by exceptional technicians, it was no doubt playing and sounding EXACTLY as she wanted. That is a significant loss. Even with an identically nice and high-quality piano, there will be that journey to get it "exactly right", and that takes time, and won't be hurried. That is the frustration she will feel for quite some time. But still, she will get to choose from three brand new, and
"prepped as well as possible" instruments hand-selected at the factory....

Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3028239 02/09/20 11:11 PM
davedoerfler Online Content
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
At least nobody was hurt.

silver lining in the cloud

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Plus, old gear has a story. I like that.
Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3028250 02/10/20 12:33 AM
JimboKeys Offline
I hope she had all her patches backed up on a USB stick laugh

- Jimbo (not a piano player)

"It's called an expression pedal for a reason: It's not a volume pedal." -- Dr. Lonnie Smith
Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3028253 02/10/20 01:16 AM
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member
Very sad.

This is why piano movers have insurance; she will eventually be made whole (or, at least close to whole as another 'similar' instrument will get).

I had heard of a similar mishap years ago with Bob James and Fourplay. Their contract apparently strongly prefers a Yamaha MIDI grand. They found two in the Bay Area for hire. The piano movers dropped and significantly damaged the first. I can only presume an insurance company made that owner whole as well.

"I'm not just untalented. I'm multi untalented."
Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: timwat] #3028255 02/10/20 01:31 AM
MathOfInsects Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
The part of me that feels that objects are temporary and only people matter, is at war with the part of me that would be furious and devastated if that ever happened to my Mason & Hamlin.

My ex plays a very expensive old violin and I used to (unkindly) joke that if the violin and the kids were in the middle of the street and a car was coming, yes, she'd save the kids, but she'd have to think about it for a split second.

"
Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3028278 02/10/20 07:41 AM
M
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
M
Yeah, my parents' Mason & Hamlin (which will at some point be my sister's) would be too risky to move coast-to-coast; we already discussed this in my family. It's not replaceable, by any stretch of the imagination, and we all prefer it to the Steinway that possibly might be mine at some point (though more likely we'll sell it and split the proceeds).

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari
Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold Top, G5422DC-12, T486-RB, ES295, PM2, EXL1
WX5, XK1c, Voyager
Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3028305 02/10/20 03:36 PM
J
Jazzmammal Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
J
I love Masons. I'm not some piano expert or anything just a half assed player compared to some on this forum but I've played the usual suspects and they're all good but the Masons I've played were just great. Can't describe it but they have "something" about them I would love to have in my living room.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...
Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3028321 02/10/20 04:54 PM
O
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
O
I wonder how much it's insured for?

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3028342 02/10/20 05:48 PM
N
Nathanael_I Offline
N
I'm sure it was insured for full replacement value. I know my piano is insured for full list price of a brand new one, and is on a dedicated rider on my studio policy (which is different than my homeowners policy). I also would not like to lose my piano, but if I did, I would not have to wait long to get something to replace it.

Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3028343 02/10/20 05:50 PM
N
Nathanael_I Offline
N
I would also guess that the moving company's liability insurance will pay in this case, not whatever Ms Hewitt had on it. I've always insisted on using bonded moving companies with large amounts of coverage. I would be certain that a fully pro company with necessary documents was moving this instrument in and out of a studio capable of working at this level...

Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3028433 02/11/20 03:53 AM
Doc Tonewheel Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
So sad! It's like grieving the loss of a friend. More so than any other keyboard, it is so hard to find that one acoustic piano that you bond with. I can only liken it to finding your partner or a best friend or a pet that just fits with you. One that responds to your playing and allows you to effortlessly translate the music in your head and heart through your fingers. It really is a true merger of the player and the instrument where the piano becomes an extension of the player. I hope that she will be able to find a new instrument that can replace her trusty old friend.

1975 Hammond A105/122RV, Yamaha N2 AvantGrand, Hohner D6 Clavinet, 1978 Minimoog Model D, Korg Mono/Poly, Yamaha CS-60, Arturia KeyLab mkII
Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3028507 02/11/20 05:03 PM
Dave Ferris Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3028522 02/11/20 07:34 PM
O
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
O
Dave that sucks. I wonder what Faziloi will do.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3028525 02/11/20 07:48 PM
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
So, so sad. Heartbreaking for all involved.

Eric
Website
Rhodes Mk 1 Stage 73; Hammond M3; Kurzweil SP-6; Roland FP-4, Juno-106; Nord Stage 3C; Studiologic Sledge; DSI Mopho KB; Moog Minitaur; Stuff
Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3028528 02/11/20 08:06 PM
O
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
O

Sounds like it may be a battle with insurance if you read between the lines. I don't know they should in good faith give her the monetary value. I wonder what the 4th pedal was for?

Last edited by Outkaster; 02/11/20 08:08 PM.

noblevibes.com

Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: MAJUSCULE] #3028531 02/11/20 08:25 PM
Dave Ferris Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by MAJUSCULE
So, so sad. Heartbreaking for all involved.

Yeah, she's one of Canada's Greatest exports to the world of the Arts. Her, Oscar and Glenn Gould are the ones that immediately come to mind. . wink

Jason, the 4th pedal is for playing at ppp volume easier.

I'm hoping that it was insured properly on her end. But I'd think the moving company would be liable for at least replacement value. Hopefully there won't be any loss on her end for a new one.

Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3028532 02/11/20 08:30 PM
Dr Mike Metlay Offline
Reading her letter kind of made me sick to my stomach. I know it was just an inanimate object, but still... what a loss.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, whoop de doo)
Wordsmith - Musician - Tech Freak - Amiable Zany
Everyone on this forum is a friend I haven't met yet
-- except for Bryce, who's, well, YOU know.
Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3028558 02/11/20 11:21 PM
David Emm Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I cringed at the news. I may have pulled a muscle! Its almost unimaginable that she would protectively tour with a V-Piano (for ex,), which simply hasn't proven to be a classical alternative. Great elsewhere, not so much in this arena. Having had a couple of acoustics I really embraced, I can understand at least part of how she must feel. I held a small ceremony when my old workstation truly croaked. I don't want to know how many multiples of that you feel when you lose an entire Fazoli. I'm glad to see her surrounding communities rise up for her sake, though. It makes perfect sense. Her skills already had her noted as a person of high merit. Bad scene, but an uplifting resolution.

First SETI contact hailed as aliens beam out Voyager response!:
"SEND MORE CHUCK BERRY!"
Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Outkaster] #3028579 02/12/20 02:55 AM
Tom Williams Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by Outkaster

I wonder what the 4th pedal was for?

It's an alternative soft pedal: Unlike the usual leftmost Una Corda pedal, which on grands shifts the entire keyboard action to the side (so only one of a triplet of upper strings is physically hit), the Fazioli 4th pedal reduces the hammer blow distance (like the soft pedal on an upright piano) to reduce the strike velocity.

-Tom Williams
<First name><At>AirNetworking<dot>com
PC361, PX-5S, AX-Edge
M-Audio Keystation 88, Axiom 61
Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3028590 02/12/20 03:59 AM
Docbop Offline
Being most my life was spent as a guitarist this is kind of like welcome to our world along with violinists and other small instruments airlines find ways to destroy. I'm actually surprised she moved it so much if that much a part of her. I'd like to know how big of a fall did it take to do that much damage had to be pretty big, had to be stairs involved.

You know the movers insurance is going to fight this and mover might just file for bankruptcy to get out of it. Feel sorry for her and sure Fazoli will get another piano she will learn to love.

Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3028592 02/12/20 05:17 AM
Mr. Nightime Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I find it hard to imagine just what could have gone wrong to cause this much damage. All I can think of was a failure in the equipment used to move it.

With a piano of that size and value, it would have to be a very reputable piano moving company, probably one that has experience moving this very piano. Plus, they would have some very experienced people working with this.

I doubt that the mover would fight this, as it is without much doubt their fault.

I really hate to admit it, and don't get me wrong, I am very saddened by her loss and the loss of such a beautiful instrument, but hearing that it was destroyed in a fall just reminded me of so many old comedy routines encompassing the movement and destruction of a piano. That and "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" where Roger finds that Eddie's brother was killed by a toon that dropped a piano on his head.

The bout of irreverence over, I really hope she is able to get a replacement that she loves at least equally as well.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.
So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3028600 02/12/20 09:27 AM
G
GRollins Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
G
I have a question:

Do acoustic pianos get better with age the way violins or guitars do?

I've not heard that they do so and I can't envision a way that the metal of the frame would improve significantly over time. The wood would mature somewhat, but you're not seeking resonance to the extent that you are with a stringed instrument, so I'm thinking that's going to be minimal.

So...if she gets a brand-spanking-new 2020 piano, will it sound as good as her old one (yes, I understand that individual pianos can sound different), all things being equal, or will it take time for it to age?

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.
Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3028607 02/12/20 12:55 PM
O
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
O
I don't think they appreciate at least some brands don't. Speaking of movers I had my B3 delivered from a reputable company and they guys didn't have ROK dollies. I had to make sure they were being careful as it was evident these guys have only moved pianos. The weight is centered on a B3 so it shouldn't have been an issue. It was a good thing I was there yesterday. I didn't have time to move it myself so I had it delivered but there are certain techniques for getting up steps for example.

noblevibes.com

Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: GRollins] #3028614 02/12/20 02:07 PM
Dave Ferris Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by GRollins

Do acoustic pianos get better with age the way violins or guitars do?

I can only speak with my experience of owning three grands since 1988. The two Yamahas started out at the top and actually got worse as time went on. The S6 needed new hammers by the time I sold it 9 years later. I was constantly having the hammers filed because it was so bright. Actually the C7e fared better in that regard. But it didn't have the more refined, sweet, round tone of the S6, after it had been worked on.

The Steinway on the other hand, is getting better with age. At coming up on 14 years, I feel it's at the apex right now. But it might surprise me and keep getting better. I just had it tuned and now it could use some minor voicing and regulation. I keep it covered when not in use. I have the two tank Dampp-chaser system. The majority of the time I play with the lid down and the cover pulled back for practice. Inside it looks brand new.

It took a solid three years for it to "come in" from purchasing it at 9 months old. So much of how a piano ages is the related to the quality of the tech you employ. Mine stated out ho hum and through the combined work of about four different techs over the years, it just blossomed into this fabulous piano.

Right now I use my long time guy for tuning - Allan Cate. And another woman - Teri Meredyth- who does the voicing and regulation.

Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3028638 02/12/20 05:26 PM
MathOfInsects Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
I think the common wisdom from piano tuners/techs is that older is not better, for pianos. Too much wood to stay pristine. Some do, most don't.

"
Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3028641 02/12/20 05:42 PM
G
GRollins Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
G
So, if I'm understanding what you guys are saying, tonally she might end up better off with a new piano?

To be clear, I'm not talking about her emotional attachment to her now-dead piano, etc., just the tone--the pure sound quality of a new instrument versus her older one.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner