Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: GRollins] #3028642 02/12/20 06:14 PM
D
danstein Offline
D
Originally Posted by GRollins
So, if I'm understanding what you guys are saying, tonally she might end up better off with a new piano?

To be clear, I'm not talking about her emotional attachment to her now-dead piano, etc., just the tone--the pure sound quality of a new instrument versus her older one.

Grey

At that level of instrument, "better" is pretty subjective. And bear in mind, this is an instrument she has owned, played, and had worked on for years (if I understand correctly.) So it's not just about the instrument itself, but understanding its quirks and subtle qualities; and also hundreds or thousands of extremely fine adjustments that have been made to the action, the voicing, etc. Regardless of the tonal qualities of the instrument, those are things that can't be replaced. And developing a similar level of intimacy with a new piano can only come after hundreds or thousands more hours of playing, and adjusting it.

KC Island
Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: danstein] #3028656 02/12/20 07:18 PM
Dave Ferris Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by danstein

At that level of instrument, "better" is pretty subjective. And bear in mind, this is an instrument she has owned, played, and had worked on for years (if I understand correctly.) So it's not just about the instrument itself, but understanding its quirks and subtle qualities; and also hundreds or thousands of extremely fine adjustments that have been made to the action, the voicing, etc. Regardless of the tonal qualities of the instrument, those are things that can't be replaced. And developing a similar level of intimacy with a new piano can only come after hundreds or thousands more hours of playing, and adjusting it.

Exactly ! At her level, the music she plays, the colors and subtleties she's used to hearing on her piano -- even brand new and as great as the high standard of Fazioli manufacturing is, it's still not going to be the same. There will be a long mental adjustment period for her.

Any piano is going to need work over time. She mentioned she just replaced the hammers and strings. That would be commonplace for a piano that old and used heavily in practice at home, recording dates and concerts. There was probably even a period of adjustment for her when she heard the partial rebuild.

All this said, being the great artist she is- I think she will survive. smile Still, I feel sad for her. If my studio were leveled in an earthquake and my D was damaged beyond repair, I would be devastated ...but I would also survive and continue to make music, if even on a lesser instrument.

Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3028662 02/12/20 07:33 PM
Mr. Nightime Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
It could be that as the piano gets older, your perception of the tone changes with it.

If it is an instrument that you truly love, the tonal changes are going to be loved by you, and be barely noticeable.

Then when you have to replace the instrument, it just will not seem the same, even if it sounds identical to how the old one sounded initially.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.
So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3028670 02/12/20 07:55 PM
Docbop Offline
A piano like a guitar is wood and over time the wood continues to dry out and tone changes. Also the vibrations of the instrument help it settle in change the tone, it is all said it needs to musical vibration so just vibrating the wood doesn't help. What I have heard is pianos unless maintained in a temperature controlled room to start having problems around 100 years old. What happen is the soundboard shrinkage become a issue. Now replacing the soundboard is possible but VERY expensive and some companies don't consider the piano to be that brand or model anymore if soundboard is replaced.

So a new acoustic piano does go through an aging process, and how the piano is cared for over the years determines how long it is going to last.

Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3028767 02/13/20 08:52 AM
MikeT156 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Personally, I can't imagine taking that piano "on the road". It might have been better to put a recording studio in her home in the same room as the piano. I can't imagine moving an instrument like that is ever a wise decision. Pianos last longer and are better suited kept in the same room at a constant temperature and humidity. I don't know that an instrument of that quality and age can be "replaced".

I always practiced the "One to show and one to go" policy of instruments back in the days when I was on the road. Of course, I never owned an instrument anywhere near the value of that piano. But my piano I had at home was safely kept in its own room in a controlled climate. It was always ready to be played when I returned home.

Mike T.

Last edited by MikeT156; 02/13/20 09:03 AM.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.
Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3029137 02/15/20 05:56 AM
N
Nathanael_I Offline
N
I think the difference is that her art is not going to be practiced on a Nord Grand.. or anything other than a full concert grand. She is one of the finest concert pianists in the world in the repertoire she favors. Like Gould, or Horowitz, or Keith Jarrett, she gets to play what she wants. And is playing at a high enough level that she is going after the last .001 of what is possible at the instrument. I have plenty of room for her to take "her instrument" around. If it is what gets "her sound" - that is pretty much what people are paying for. I'm sure it puts a lot of extra wear on the instrument, but many professional players can work through an instrument in a dozen years or so anyway where action and strings are concerned.

Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3029140 02/15/20 06:15 AM
Dave Ferris Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
^ thu

Yes, after Oscar became world famous he took his Bosendorfer Imperial with him whenever possible. I believe Horowitz used his piano, at least in the States.

The great Polish Chopin pianist Krystian Zimerman tried to bring his Hamburg D into the US shortly after 9/11 and it was destroyed by TSA agents because of the smell of the glue inside the piano. He vowed never to play again in the US. Very sad and unfortunate but lets leave it at that. It can become too political. My thread on PW was just locked because one person took it off the rails. rolleyes

Jarrett doesn't carry his own piano, he just drives the techs before concert time insane with his demands on detail. The women who does regulation/ voicing on my piano said she would never work for him again !

Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3029142 02/15/20 06:56 AM
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I mean, if Jonathan freakin' Cain gets to tour with a Faz, you bet your bottom Angela Hewitt does too rawk

Eric
Website
Rhodes Mk 1 Stage 73; Hammond M3; Kurzweil SP-6; Roland FP-4, Juno-106; Nord Stage 3C; Studiologic Sledge; DSI Mopho KB; Moog Minitaur; Stuff
Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Tom Williams] #3029146 02/15/20 11:32 AM
A
AD1969 Offline
A
Actually, the Una Corda pedal shifts the action so that two of three strings are struck - the name ‘una corda’ presumably originating when early pianos had only two strings per note. 👍
Originally Posted by Tom Williams
Originally Posted by Outkaster

I wonder what the 4th pedal was for?

It's an alternative soft pedal: Unlike the usual leftmost Una Corda pedal, which on grands shifts the entire keyboard action to the side (so only one of a triplet of upper strings is physically hit), the Fazioli 4th pedal reduces the hammer blow distance (like the soft pedal on an upright piano) to reduce the strike velocity.

Last edited by AD1969; 02/15/20 11:42 AM.
Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3029191 02/15/20 07:39 PM
Docbop Offline
Part of being a pro musician is learning to get your sound out of any instrument you have to play. Piano player its been part of playing forever, my background as a guitar player is dealing with using backline amplifiers and these days with all the theft and airlines destroying instrument more and more common to even use your B or C instrument for playing out and touring. Threads here have talked about it having to deal with fly and play gigs and issues with even getting the digital keyboards from your preference list and having to come up with workarounds. People even talk about how the great players do a gig on a instrument everyone thinks is crap and they make it sound great. Learning to make any instrument sound good is just part of the gig.

So yes it's great to play your own instrument, but playing outside of your house or own studio it comes with a lot or risk and in this day and age is that risk worth it.

Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3029192 02/15/20 08:18 PM
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Of course she would make anything she plays sound amazing. That's not the point. Most of us on this keyboard forum wouldn't even hear the difference in her playing, but she will feel it.

Eric Clapton and Slash don't play on crappy backline amps, neither should she.

Eric
Website
Rhodes Mk 1 Stage 73; Hammond M3; Kurzweil SP-6; Roland FP-4, Juno-106; Nord Stage 3C; Studiologic Sledge; DSI Mopho KB; Moog Minitaur; Stuff
Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3029382 02/17/20 02:45 AM
U
uhoh7 Offline
U
Think about all these people loosing their entire homes to fires, increasingly frequently. Hewitt is in a far better position to recover from this mishap than most of them and their familes. So this is not nice, but a long way from tragedy.

Like she herself said: at least nobody was hurt.

It's also happened to alot of people, loosing a beloved axe somehow. Often as not new doors open.

If muscians were paid their worth, they'd all have legions of sherpas. Even then there would be plenty of crashes.

What makes the story compleling, maybe, is we have all gone through that dilema: do I take this thing? My precious. And we imagine it being destroyed in all sorts of ways. So we really empathise. But, really it's OK, the sun is coming up and there are plenty of Pianos left. Many will outlive all of us.

Last edited by uhoh7; 02/17/20 02:48 AM.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760
SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61
Stylophone R8, Behringer RD-8, Proteus 1
MPC1000, JV1010, Unitor 8, DMP-18 Pedals
Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: uhoh7] #3029391 02/17/20 04:58 AM
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by MAJUSCULE
I mean, if Jonathan freakin' Cain gets to tour with a Faz, you bet your bottom Angela Hewitt does too rawk

He actually stopped using it on tour (he has two..one at his home and one at his studio in Nashville). As they increased their touring dates, it got to be too much of a hassle to tune it every day. It weighed more than the famous Whale as well.
You should see the flight case it had, though. Very impressive. The Faz got packed up and loaded right there on stage.
Jon has been using the Roland V-Piano (Grand) with his Jupiter 80 up top. (and of course his Triton and and XK5 Organ)

Originally Posted by uhoh7
Think about all these people loosing their entire homes to fires, increasingly frequently.
It's also happened to alot of people, loosing a beloved axe somehow. Often as not new doors open.

They really need to tighten things up, then.

David
Gig Rig: Casio PX-5S | Komplete Kontrol S61mk2 | Mac Mini | Gig Performer

Re: Angela Hewitt's Fazioli dropped and destroyed ! [Re: Dave Ferris] #3029587 02/18/20 07:02 AM
Dave Ferris Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
And a follow up post from Ms. Hewitt:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...a.154558967992221&type=3&theater

To say that the past few days has been overwhelming is an understatement. I had no idea my Facebook post about the unfortunate accident involving my precious Fazioli F278 would go viral, with such intense media interest. First of all I must say a huge thank you to all my friends and fans from around the world who have offered their support and written such warm words of sympathy and encouragement. That was very heart-warming, and I appreciate it hugely. As for the story being in practically every newspaper in the world, on TV and radio stations, being the subject of a phone-in programme on BBC Radio 2, evidently on the news screens in the Berlin Underground....what can I say? I refused all spoken interviews. Thank goodness. The last thing I wanted was to sensationalise the story. But that is the world in which we live today. News travels fast! It left me rather exhausted. Last night I slept for 10 hours after a few nights of not much sleep.

I just want to make one thing clear that perhaps has been misunderstood: I did not travel the world with that piano. It went out of my house in Italy only for recording sessions (two or three times a year), for my Trasimeno Music Festival in Umbria in the summer, and for the odd concert in Italy or once or twice further afield. For recording, one needs the best, and it never let me down. Those of you who heard it at the festival in Umbria will not forget its beauty (especially last summer when I played Beethoven's Op. 111 on it for the first time). Otherwise, I have been fortunate to play on many Faziolis of the same model (or the F308) provided by their dealers around the world (and in Ontario on one of my own that resides in my home town of Ottawa). If I had taken it everywhere, I would have been broke long ago.

But yes, it's time to move on, even though I will always miss that glorious piano. For various reasons, a new one will be chosen probably only in mid-July.

And through all of this I've been practising like mad--on a Yamaha upright I had to rent in the meantime, and on an electronic keyboard here in my hotel room in Pistoia, Tuscany. Tonight I'm performing (and conducting) Bach and Mozart Concertos with the wonderful Orchestra Leonore--a relatively new group made up of some of the best freelance players in Europe. It has been a total joy and has really lifted my spirits! Thanks to tonight's concertmaster Meesun Hong Coleman (with me in the photo) who has done a fantastic job.
http://www.fondazionepromusica.it/…/conce…/2020-febbraio-15/

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner