Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

insider tips for attending New Orleans Jazz Fest?

I'm thinking of finally going this year but it's a daunting proposition. I'm mainly wondering where to stay and how best to book it. Friends have gone before. I may ask some friends if they want to go with me this year. I'll search prior threads but I was wondering if there was recent info I should be aware of.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be my 9th or 10th year at NOLA JF. The festival proper runs two consecutive weekends at the race track. This year it runs Thurs-Sun both weekends until around 7pm. But during the two week stretch all the music venues in town have shows that run all night and into the morning. Midweek when the track is closed there are free daytime in-store concerts at the Louisiana Music Factory, which is just an amazing record store on Frenchmen at Decatur. You can plan your late nights using the Jazzfest Grids.

There are music venues scattered all around the city, with several in the French Quarter, but the highest concentration by far is in the Marigny along Frenchmen St. I like to stay within a stone's throw of about Frenchmen x Chartres, as that puts you within stumbling distance of about 8 or 10 solid music venues. The Blue Nile is my favorite, with shows upstairs and downstairs nightly. So you can just stay out as late as you can handle it and have a short walk back home when you just caint do it any longer.

I forget which venue holds it, but there's usually a show called 'the Booker Thing' which is a tribute to James Booker with a rotating cast of keyboard players. Marco Benevento, Ivan Neville, Jon Cleary, etc.

You should also check out a show at the Maple Leaf Bar at some point. It'll be a cab ride uptown to get there, but it's one of those only-in-New-Orleans things that you have to check out. It's basically a house that was gutted and turned into a bar, with the one remaining load bearing wall separating the bar from the stage area. It is hot, and crowded, and a lot of fun. I always catch Bonerama at the Rock n Bowl, which is also a really fun venue.

Maybe we need to do a KC Jazzfest hang!

Thanks. I've been to NOLA before, never Jazz Fest. I saw Josh Paxton do a solo set at a place just off Bourbon Street, then the next day I saw him play in the park with Big Chief Monk Boudreaux. I know he plays at the Maple Leaf, but I never got over there. I would make a point of it if I get to NOLA again.

I'm mainly concerned with booking a room. I'm prepared to pay the freight, but I wonder where the best places to stay are, which ones have the nicest rooms, other amenities, stuff like that. I was there last year and stayed in a highly-rated boutique hotel in the middle of the quarter, but I was unimpressed when we got there. I did enjoy the $1 oysters at the place just up the street. It was half a block off Bourbon Street which is a 24-hour party even in the off season. I wonder about staying outside the quarter and nearer the festival grounds.

A KC Jazzfest hang would be cool. :cool:

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Booking this close to the fest might be tough. I went a couple times during the weekends but made reservation months ahead of time. As far as location I'd suggest be within walking distance of the Quarter, but not in the middle of it.

Unless you can live without sleep, you'll have to choose between daytime at the fairgrounds or late nights in the clubs. I've typically stayed up all night and slept through the day.

I went one year between weekends, not as a deliberate plan but just because it worked out that way. Fantastic experience. Sure, you miss the big stage shows and the crowds, but on the plus side you miss the big stage shows and the crowds. The festivalgoers leave town but there remains a huge contingent of musicians who keep playing throughout the week, and you can see any show you want. I recall seeing great shows on Frenchmen and then standing shoulder to shoulder on the street with some of my musical heroes, shooting the shit like it was nothing.

In the future if I had a choice between going on a weekend or between, I'd go between.

I've been to New Orleans during the big parties: jazzfest, mardi gras, Halloween, and I"ve been there when absolutely nothing was happening. Honestly, my best memories are from the nothing happening trips.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Thanks, Adan. That's exactly the kind of insider tip I was looking for. I'm "of a certain age" (as we used to say about older women) and I have a difficult time with crowds so mid-week might be a good solution. I can understand staying up all night on Frenchmen Street and skipping the festival during the day. That kinda makes going to Nawlins during festival and paying for tix a little pointless, but then that's the time that all the other musicians are hanging all night in the quarter. Might as well go then. And stay near Frenchmen. :)

I"ve been to Jazzfest about 6 times but not since 2015. I always had my hotel booked by the end of January and went Friday through Sunday.

My fiancé has never been and we have a bathroom remodel and a wedding to pay for this year but...

She'a grown to love Jon Cleary and we need a break so this week I booked the Inn at Ursulines

for 2 nights at a great price. Thursday April 23rd ( fly in early and enjoy the city ). Friday April 24th

( out to the Fairgrounds for Elvis Costello, Lenny Kravitz and Jon Cleary).

We fly home Saturday morning so I can make a gig but doing the Thursday, Friday got us a short trip

on the cheap. Can"t wait!

Instead of Jazzfest you might consider the French Quarter Festival. This year it's held a week before Jazzfest. Smaller, mostly local acts & everything is free. I've never been to either but at the suggestion of a friend who has been there a few times my wife & I decided to opt for the French Quarter Fest.

Instead of Jazzfest you might consider the French Quarter Festival. This year it's held a week before Jazzfest. Smaller, mostly local acts & everything is free. I've never been to either but at the suggestion of a friend who has been there a few times my wife & I decided to opt for the French Quarter Fest.

That sounds amazing. My favorite New Orleans trip ever was being there a week before Mardi Gras, which I think must be kind of similar. Mostly locals partying with each other at a time when their spirits are highest.

I wouldn't try to talk anyone out of doing Jazzfest on the weekends. Just saying there's an alternative. To me, the best part about New Orleans is hanging with the locals, and you're much more likely to do that when there isn't a crush of visitors.

All of this feels like a past life for me. My wife thinks New Orleans is ok, but she prefers visiting places like Sante Fe, a very different kind of fun.

I've gone. It's fun. I love that city. I actually played at the Blue Nile maybe 12 years ago.

But can I say? There is incredible music there 7 nights a week, all year round, and I personally would never go deal with all the sweaty bros again, and instead go on practically any other weekend and see 80% of the same artists in small venues. Besides, you have to pay extra for the headliners, and I can do that at home.

Not helpful, I know. It's my superpower.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Actually, it is helpful. I've been to Nawlins before but never to Jazzfest. I don't know how the ticketing works. You're saying you pay extra for the headliners, on top of the regular admission? https://www.nojazzfest.com/tickets/ says "General admission tickets include access to all performances on day of use." If indeed you have to pay extra for headliners, that's false advertising.

But the more I think about it, the more I think about going for French Quarter festival instead, or even just any old time when costs are less and just hang out on Frenchmen Street, check out the Blue Nile and the Maple Leaf, etc. That way I don't have to book a room and a flight months in advance and I can do it when it's more convenient (and cheaper) for me. Maybe take a friend. Food for thought ...

Actually, it is helpful. I've been to Nawlins before but never to Jazzfest. I don't know how the ticketing works. You're saying you pay extra for the headliners, on top of the regular admission? https://www.nojazzfest.com/tickets/ says "General admission tickets include access to all performances on day of use." If indeed you have to pay extra for headliners, that's false advertising.

But the more I think about it, the more I think about going for French Quarter festival instead, or even just any old time when costs are less and just hang out on Frenchmen Street, check out the Blue Nile and the Maple Leaf, etc. That way I don't have to book a room and a flight months in advance and I can do it when it's more convenient (and cheaper) for me. Maybe take a friend. Food for thought ...

Hmmm....well, it's been a long time since I attended. As I remember it, there is a mainstage in the festival itself, but then a stadium for the "headliners"--the non-jazz touring acts that they use as a draw. My understanding is that basically, the locals buy their discounted festival tickets and hang out wandering around the racetrack area, and the gullible tourists buy the stadium tickets and fund the festival. But I am writing this from Southern California, after having not attended for probably 20 years, so I defer to anyone who knows more than I do about it.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

No, you do not pay extra for the headliners. The ticket is a general admission ticket. There are two main stages (Acura and Gentilly) at opposite ends of the racetrack, and that's where the big headliners play. They do have various levels of VIP tickets that get you up close or under shade, but to be honest none of that is really necessary. At various other places in between the two main stages there are ten smaller stages where lesser-known or local acts perform, plus there's food and beverage vendors scattered around the infield.

Bring a hat and sunscreen, and wear Tevas or Keen type water shoes without socks, because rain is not unusual and the weather changes quickly there. If there's a sudden downpour you will likely find yourself in shin-deep water. Flip flops will float away and tennies will get soaked.

Also, nobody in New Orleans says "Nawlins."

... Also, nobody in New Orleans says "Nawlins."
I accept that, although there is somewhat of an internet debate about whether locals pronounce it that way or not. I only write it like that for fun. I have a cousin who lives there. My business partner pronounces it New Or-leens. I pronounce it as New Or-lins, or more French as New Or-le-ans.

What OB Dave said. And to expand on his advice re: footwear, bear in mind that if it does rain, the "mud" you'll be wading through will be about 50% horse dung. Plan accordingly.

I'm afraid I don't have much more "inside" advice for attendees because pretty much the only time I go to the Fest itself is on days when I'm playing. And even then I don't plan what acts I'm gonna catch, but just wander around based on what looks good at the time. As for other stuff to catch around town, there's music happening almost 24/7 the whole time. Just moments ago I got an offer for a mid-week 1:00-3:30am gig that I'm debating whether or not I am officially Too Old Forâ¢. And I'm pretty sure there will be another band on after us.

General rules: You'll end up spending more money and getting less sleep than you think you will. Plan what you want to do, but remember that this is a city where nothing works like it should and everything is screwed up, so if any given plan doesn't pan out there will be at least eight more equally cool things for you to do. And bear in mind that any musician you meet is sleeping even less than you and is working even harder than you're partying, so please treat them accordingly.

Also, nobody in New Orleans says "Nawlins."

Oh la di da, we can top that. There is actually no cool, appropriate, or correct way to refer to San Francisco. Pointing is ok.

... Also, nobody in New Orleans says "Nawlins."
I accept that, although there is somewhat of an internet debate about whether locals pronounce it that way or not. I only write it like that for fun. I have a cousin who lives there. My business partner pronounces it New Or-leens. I pronounce it as New Or-lins, or more French as New Or-le-ans.

Yes they do, and when a mosquito bites them they say⦠:roll:

[video:youtube]

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI