Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sometimes you want to bring all the gear

Have a non-tribute band gig tomorrow.

I was sitting here looking at my various keys:

PX-5S

PX-S3000

MODX 6

VR-09

Keylab 61 mk2

Komplete Control S61 mk2

Mac Mini with Mainstage, Gig Performer, etc....

I decided I wanted to bring a triple board setup, non Computer rack.

SO I added my standby third tier to my Onstage Z-stand.

MODX6 (most sounds from it)

VR-09 -- only used as Organ, no presets..using it "real time"

PX-S3000 controlling the piano sounds from the MODX6

The PX is MIDI'd via USB to the MODX in host/hybrid mode

VR-09 on its own. Audio output runs thru the MODX6 A/D L+R in

MODX6 Audio out to my Radial Pro D2 DI, then to FOH.

It's hard to get a pic with my phone that show the keys are closer to each other than it looks. I am not reaching to play the MODX6 or change patches on the Live Set Screen

Should be fun!

76IsPb.jpg

BVeUw0.jpg

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That"s a nice 3 tier setup, giving you hammer, waterfall, and synth action (no aftertouch).

And you don"t even need your own sub mixer. MIDI is a snap.

Really isn"t a stretch going 3 way, as easy as 2, esp since they"re lightweight.

My multi tier was a bit more involved, but I found having everything pre-wired was the trick. Bass and keys good to go before drums, guitar / sound, and vox / lights.

Sweet set up! A lot of us focus on efficient rigs, but sometimes it is fun to bring out extra for fun!

Have you posted about your blue vr-09? Is the blue a custom color from Roland or did you do that yourself?

This is just another in my long line of custom painted, by me, keyboards.

Red PX5S

O1F429.jpg

U8hBVC.jpg

Which has turned into an Oil Rubbed Bronze PX5S

SGEvLv.jpg

Can't forget the Corvette Competition Yellow PX-350 with the '67 Camaro SS stripes. Inspired by my '67 Camaro SS/RS

qgrl6j.jpg

McP4e8.jpg

"Anodized/brushed aluminum red Vortex Wirless 2

zLtt22.jpg

Sitting next to one of my very first paint projects. Original Vortex in Hammered Copper

wxl7Z7.jpg

Very first project Korg M50-61 in Challenger Plum Crazy, complete with 8-ball shift knob on the pitch/mod stick :)

mfjMEx.jpg

David

Painting Orca (PX 5S) is wise.

Such a decent unit deserves a better skin.

Nice mod jobs.

I"m debating White Gold/Silver Meta Flake for Physis K4.

Saw an old A90 painted like that, looked great as the colors changed with lighting.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Welcome to my past life. I"m not great at anything but I"m Okay at everything. A lot of my gigs were utility player gigs. Keys, guitars, banjo, steel, dobro, organ, whatever pays the bills. I"m too old for that. I play keys now and guitar if I can go direct with my modeler.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Very nice!

Yup, I'm always tempted to bring more of the gear.

I just always hate having to pack it up and schlep it back to the car after the gig's done.

The only upside is for me is that then more of the rest of the PA gets packed up while I'm packing my stuff :D I keed, I keed. Our setup is so small and easy these days that the biggest effort is quite literally our big fancy banner that hangs behind the stage (looks 100% better than whatever crap is on the wall).

I have an Onstage Z two tier, which was retired for my spider pro....HOWEVER, I'm debating adding a 3rd keyboard to my rig. How did you manage a 3rd tier with that stand?

I was thinking I'd just go "L" with an x-stand, but space would sometimes be an issue...not to mention, limiting the x-stand keyboard to either left or right hand.

Hey All,

I received a couple messages about my "3-tier" onstage Z-Stand. OnStage does not make this.

Years ago, I bought the OnStage KSA7500 which is the 2nd tier add-on for their x-stand.

It can attach to 1" i.d. round or square tubes. The 2nd Tier Arms of the Onstage Z are 1" i.d. square tubes. Easy :)

A WORD OF CAUTION: Physics dictates that your 3rd board needs to be light. If the 2nd and 3rd are too heavy, you Z-Stand will tip over backwards (away from you) at the slightest touch. In the use I showed here, it's not an issue.

One way to solve this if you want to do this, is to have a couple of vertical bars that go from the floor to the cross member of the 2nd tier. Now it can't rock back. I've done this before when I had my PX5S, Komplete Kontrol 61, and Fantom X6.

Lastly, the OnStage (and several other non height adjustable 2nd tier add-ons) are way too high, and you really have to angle them. My easy solution was to get out th hack saw and cut them dwon from the top.

Then I drilled a couple holes lower for the arm attachments. I used a miter box and drill press to cut and drill both at once so they're even.

nf2mnY.jpg

c6q1aL.jpg

David

Huh, very interesting! I'm not too far from being able to do that, I've got one mic boom adapter already (that looks like what you have there?)

I definitely could see the tipping problem, mine was tippy just with two tiers and with the heaviest board on the bottom.

Every time I think of gigging three boards I have to grab myself someplace sensitive and yell--look at the places you are playing. The only person who gives one hoot about my keyboards at these joints would be me...plus the thought of moving that Z around again does not thrill me.

My boards are currently so light though that I wonder about a 3-tier x stand, provided I add a rope or something to prevent it collapsing...a bit of piece of mind. It would be a move backward aesthetically from my spider pro for sure....

Anyway, that's a great idea, wish I was more of a handy person :)

My boards are currently so light though that I wonder about a 3-tier x stand, provided I add a rope or something to prevent it collapsing...a bit of piece of mind. It would be a move backward aesthetically from my spider pro for sure....

Friends don't let friends use X stands! Remember, you can sturdify them, but you can't disguise the look.

http://hotrodmotm.com/images/ironingboard.jpg

Moe

---

I played with my Funky Blues Project band this weekend. I used my smaller set up, just the SK2, and the QSC K10 as a side fill with my keys and the vocal monitor through them.

I saw a video of that night, and noted that the keys were not strong enough. I believe it's because the bass, guitar, and drums have the onstage volume pointing out front, where the keys were going to the side, dependent on the FOH to be heard.

So, when I gig this weekend, I'm bringing my pair of Mackie Thumps to place behind me in stereo, and run the vocal monitor through my Mackie SRM150.

I WILL be heard

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I just moved in the other direction, and eliminated my 3rd keyboard from my Floyd tribute rig. I am using a Kronos 88, NE5D, and Nord A1. I was able to do some creative programming on the Kronos using Karma scenes and was able to remove the A1 from the stack. Nice sleek setup.

I have that same Z stand and never had problem with it tipping back, but the Kronos is like a boat anchor on there!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com