Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pro Tip: Recording Platform for Your Podcast
#3027762 02/06/20 12:36 AM
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
A question I often get asked is what application I use to record my podcast. Over the past decade I've used a few. This is an area where there's definitely not one right answer. So instead I thought I'd give examples of what I've used or seen others use:

1. Audacity: available for both PC and Mac, easy to use. I've not tried to edit a podcast with Audacity but have used it to record my vocal and submitted it.

2. Garageband: I've recorded and mixed 140+ episodes of a podcast on Garageband and it works great. It's partly designed to support podcasting and is easy to use.

3. Logic; it's overkill but for The Keyboard Chronicles I use Logic. I just like the option of slightly more finessed EQ etc although I don't do a lot of tweaking in that regard

4. Standalone podcast apps: I'd be keen to hear what people think of podcast-specific apps. WAY back when I used Ubercaster but it's no longer available. This article gives a run-down on three such apps.. I actually don't think apps like this are needed as a general rule, unless you want really easy integration with a podcast host or you are after automated normalisation etc. YMMV

Jump in with any questions / thoughts / recommendations!

Re: Pro Tip: Recording Platform for Your Podcast
Dave Holloway #3027773 02/06/20 01:40 AM
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
I use Audacity all day every day at work. Can't beat it for the price. wink

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Plus, old gear has a story. I like that.
davedoerfler #3027801 02/06/20 01:40 PM
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
Originally Posted by davedoerfler
I use Audacity all day every day at work. Can't beat it for the price. wink

Indeed grin

Dave Holloway #3027834 02/06/20 05:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member
I'm a Logic guy, but again, it's because we have it at work (that's come in handy for me for some, shall we say, non-work-related purposes).

Audacity is one of the great resources of the audio world. I'm glad that open source software like that can still thrive, even if the communal vision of the net's early days hasn't quite panned out the way many predicted.

Samuel B. Lupowitz
Composer. Arranger. Musician. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.
Dave Holloway #3027950 02/07/20 01:04 PM
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
I have a gripe with Audacity. Years ago, when I used it, it messed with my audio settings on my Mac. After using it, iTunes would be silent. I don't remember if the bit rate or sample rate was changed, but I'd have to launch GarageBand to reset things. I never found a setting within Audacity to make it stop, so I stopped using it and switched to Amadeus Pro from Hairersoft for that kind of editing. It's not free, but works really well.

I think it's bad form for an app to change things like that without asking.

The great thing about music is that there's always something to learn. The frustrating thing about music is that there's always something to learn!
Joe Muscara #3027966 02/07/20 03:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member
Originally Posted by Joe Muscara
I think it's bad form for an app to change things like that without asking.
Something tells me that on a new Mac running Mojave or Catalina, the OS would alert you at least twice before an app was able to change those kinds of system settings!

Samuel B. Lupowitz
Composer. Arranger. Musician. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Moderated by  Dave Holloway 

Link Copied to Clipboard