Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

StaffPad now for iPad

I'm surprised this hasn't already hit the forum!

Back in 2015, our friend Zephonic asked, in this thread about StaffPad (for Windows Surface tablets):

I wonder if they'll release this for the iPad Pro?

Well, they've done it. Rebuilt from the ground up, apparently.

StaffPad for iPad & Windows

A pretty great review from ScoringNotes.com:

[video:youtube]

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the elephant in the room (in the software) is that they're notating orchestral music. When I notate music, I'm sitting at the piano with a bass and treble staff - I think called the grand staff. I know Duke Ellington wrote at the piano (I've seen photos). I read that he composed in a non-linear fashion, sometimes rearranging snippets in different order. I read that Stravinsky often composed initially with only note heads - the dark dots. Later on, when both these giants had settled on what they wanted, I believe they arranged them on some sort of orchestral score.

When I write music I write for piano. I never see these software demos illustrate writing for piano - or at least not piano music of any complexity. It seems to be problematic. Last spring I bought an iPad Pro and Symphony Pro app. The last time I used Symphony Pro, I spent 5 minutes getting exactly ONE measure the way I wanted it. When I tapped to the next measure/bar - the damn software/app rearranged what I had worked to set up. I probably haven't opened SP for maybe 7 months.

I don't care about MIDI playback.

On my list of things to do is find a graphics forum. I want to ask about a dead simple graphics app. I want to be able to write with the $125 (IIRC) Apple Pencil. I also want a tap and drag menu of things like vertical 5 lines staves, treble cleff symbols, bass cleff symbols, whole notes, half notes, note heads - both open note heads and solid dots. And then all those dynamics that many want. I just write notes and rests. I've developed my simpler way of notating "#" and "b" - I use "^" for a sharp and the downward version for a flat - a traditional sharp requires 4 separate strokes.

It should allow me to write lyrics - maybe write lyrics without a staff - and maybe insert say 8 bars with bass and treble staffs (staves?) for a section with a vocal harmony arrangement.

My biggest desired function for this graphics app is to allow me to rearrange segments of notated music. Maybe duplicate measures 4 - 8 to at he end. Whatever I want to do on my ideal visual layout.

I bought a Samsung $550 tablet and StaffPad about 5 years ago. They continually over promise.

Please excuse this rant. Maybe someone will be able to point me some graphics apps.

Thanks for the heads-up, Sven. It looks very intuitive in that video, I wish my iPad supported stylus input. But $90 is not cheap, compared to other iPad notation apps.

One user review on the App Store:

sbaugh , 02/05/2020

Good start ... but ...

I good start for an app I loved on Surface. But some SERIOUS problems for a $90 app ...

1. When trying to add lyrics, constantly freezes or crashes altogether.

2. Lasso with the Pencil 2 does not seem to select anything.

3. No keyboard undo shortcut? really? That"s basic.

Please fix these issues ASAP. This isn"t a cheap app.

And those were only found within 30 mins.

But when Avid eventually forces me into a subscription for Sibelius, I'll probably get a new iPad with stylus and StaffPad or one of the other notation apps.

Thanks for the heads-up, Sven. It looks very intuitive in that video, I wish my iPad supported stylus input. But $90 is not cheap, compared to other iPad notation apps.

One user review on the App Store:

sbaugh , 02/05/2020

Good start ... but ...

I good start for an app I loved on Surface. But some SERIOUS problems for a $90 app ...

1. When trying to add lyrics, constantly freezes or crashes altogether.

2. Lasso with the Pencil 2 does not seem to select anything.

3. No keyboard undo shortcut? really? That"s basic.

Please fix these issues ASAP. This isn"t a cheap app.

And those were only found within 30 mins.

But when Avid eventually forces me into a subscription for Sibelius, I'll probably get a new iPad with stylus and StaffPad or one of the other notation apps.

hmm, that's not good!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Ninety dollars is a pretty steep entry price point on iPad. I suspect they could double their revenue with a $20 app that allows serious users to unlock relevant features with in-app purchases. Then again, they might not want that hassles of supporting customers who are just dabbling, but they are going to find a fairly limited market if you can't even get a taste before committing.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

Staffpad was originally $70 in the windows store, and I think that's a great price...it's worth every penny considering how heavily I have used it. The upgrade for me is free since I'm an existing customer, but I would happily shell out another $90 for the program, considering how much functionality they've added.

Also, I think people need to be a bit patient with the bugs. It JUST launched days ago, and considering it was a ground-up rebuild, this is like launching a program for the first time all over again. I'm sure they will update to fix those bugs right away.

Of course I am biased as a heavy Staffpad user...perhaps it's just me, but I can't stand most note entry in most software. Writing it is so much easier, quicker, and connects to my brain better. To play in via MIDI or do all the engraving and fine tuning, then I move the piece to Dorico.

Just my $0.02.

There was a time when I was contemplating getting a Surface tablet just for this app. $90 is steep for an app, but not near as steep as a whole separate tablet. I'll be getting this, on the assumption that the bugs will probably be dealt with and the product improved over time. I too am one of those people who just finds writing by hand easier and more intuitive than computer/keyboard note entry, even if you can get faster at the latter.