Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: My next music purchase: a house [Re: CowboyNQ] #3028039 02/08/20 01:03 AM
B
bill bosco Offline
B
congratulations , yea , i,ve got an an A100 and a leslie in my living room , but more than that ,having your own home is a beautiful thing . be blessed !

KC Island
Re: My next music purchase: a house [Re: samuelblupowitz] #3028048 02/08/20 04:59 AM
S_Gould Online Content
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
I built a 2300 sq.ft. studio on the lot next to my house - I had to call it a "guest house" to get it past the county permit office.

Re: My next music purchase: a house [Re: S_Gould] #3028050 02/08/20 05:17 AM
davedoerfler Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by S_Gould
I built a 2300 sq.ft. studio on the lot next to my house - I had to call it a "guest house" to get it past the county permit office.

sincerely hope I get to see it sooner than later smile

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Plus, old gear has a story. I like that.
Re: My next music purchase: a house [Re: samuelblupowitz] #3028051 02/08/20 05:21 AM
S
Sam CA Offline
S
Originally Posted by samuelblupowitz
Maybe it's OT, but honestly, a space where we can play music to our heart's content is one of the reasons we want to do it. Wish us luck. If all goes according to plan, we're putting in an offer tonight. I'm all aflutter.

If we get it, I promise I will use this thread to share studio photos (of course there's a studio space), and a picture of the spot where my wife suggested we one day put a baby grand piano. keys2

I've lived in a number of apartments in Northern and Southern California and owning an acoustic upright has brought many cops to my door over the years. Aside from a few speeding tickets here and there, %95 of my law enforcement encounters are piano related! Once I graduated, I was able to buy my very first house. My first priority was a house that would let me be a musician without having to worry about noise complaints. Buying the right house either solves that problem, or gives you a number of opportunities to come up with a solution. At least that's how it's been for me, myself and Chico the dog.

Samual, I'm rooting for you and hopefully we'll hear some good news soon.

Re: My next music purchase: a house [Re: S_Gould] #3028053 02/08/20 05:31 AM
S
Sam CA Offline
S
Originally Posted by S_Gould

That's a huge guest house. wink I recently converted my 2 car garage. It's almost done. I just have to clean up the mess. Inspections kills a lot of time in Arcadia/Pasadena. Not sure how bad it is in other places. I thought about doing a guest house but due to the size of my back yard, they would only grant a permit for a 'shed'.

Re: My next music purchase: a house [Re: samuelblupowitz] #3028070 02/08/20 01:19 PM
Al Quinn Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Congrats Samuel! Having a dedicated space for music is awesome. I love my music room. It’s a dream come true.

Re: My next music purchase: a house [Re: samuelblupowitz] #3028094 02/08/20 05:41 PM
KenElevenShadows Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Maybe it's OT, but honestly, a space where we can play music to our heart's content is one of the reasons we want to do it. Wish us luck. If all goes according to plan, we're putting in an offer tonight. I'm all aflutter.

If we get it, I promise I will use this thread to share studio photos (of course there's a studio space), and a picture of the spot where my wife suggested we one day put a baby grand piano. keys2

That's really cool. We purchased a house in the high desert near Joshua Tree National Park in California, a place that we intend to move to after we stop working in a few years, and I am really excited about this. While the house is no architectural marvel, it is comfortable and peaceful and sits on a lot of land. And having a space where you can play and record music is so amazing. I will also be doing a ton of night photography, and in fact can see the Milky Way in the back yard.

Re: My next music purchase: a house [Re: samuelblupowitz] #3028368 02/10/20 06:55 PM
samuelblupowitz Offline OP
Gold Member
OP Offline
Gold Member
Thanks for the well-wishes and encouragement, everyone.

By Saturday afternoon, it was really looking like it wasn't going to happen with this one... it's an estate, and the sellers seemed determined to hold out as long as they could to get as much money as possible for the house. Then this morning, things turned around very rapidly, and we're now under contract. If all goes well with the inspection tomorrow (!), I'll share some photos (and my unbridled enthusiasm).

And just to clarify, since a few people were talking about having houses dedicated to *only* music, this will be the primary living space for me and my wife... it just happens to have a space we will dedicate to music rehearsing/recording/teaching (and, as mentioned, space for a piano in the living room area wink).

Samuel B. Lupowitz
Composer. Arranger. Musician. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.
Re: My next music purchase: a house [Re: samuelblupowitz] #3028391 02/10/20 09:03 PM
CowboyNQ Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
(Preliminary) congrats!!

Re: My next music purchase: a house [Re: samuelblupowitz] #3028544 02/11/20 09:12 PM
New&Improv Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Wow, congrats! My wife and I just paid off our mortgage (30 year, paid it off in 20) last week, so we are celebrating as well! It's really a different feeling when the space you live in is truly yours.

For most of the last 20 years, I ran my studio/music production business out of a spare bedroom, and m,mixed dozens of albums, a ton of audiobooks and many miscellaneous projects there. We couldn't do band rehearsals at our house, though. 2 years ago, I moved to a new studio space that was already built out as a recording studio, with a large live room, control room and several smaller iso rooms, and I'm ultimately happy that I did. My bands rehearse there as well, and their rental covers a good portion of the rent. I can have my full (and, admittedly) pretty ridiculous keyboard/synth setup there wired up and ready to play all the time, at my house, most of my collection lived in the garage, and I'd rotate pieces through my bedroom studio.

Turn up the speaker
Hop, flop, squawk
It's a keeper
-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow
Re: My next music purchase: a house [Re: samuelblupowitz] #3028854 02/13/20 05:32 PM
Gold Member
OP Offline
Gold Member
Okay, contracts are signed, inspection went great, attorney review is looking good, and we're working on the full mortgage application. It's not all buttoned up yet, but we're in motion. I kind of can't believe this is happening, but I'm very excited, and happy to share with you all what I've been looking at after the sellers' 180 on our offer, and the madness of the last three days.

So, here's the house. 1966 bilevel ranch on about an acre and a half of land -- a lot of that land is moss and woods (with a little pond!), so we get the space without a massive amount of lawncare. The house is in desperate need of some paint and various other minor exterior fixes, but it's solid (and my wife would want to change the aesthetic of pretty much any house we wound up in anyway).

[Linked Image from ap.rdcpix.com]

More on that big bay window momentarily. What you might not quite notice in that picture is that there's another door just to the left of the front entrance, hidden behind that evergreen. That is a dedicated entrance to the studio space. Other than the driveway-level door, there's also an entrance from the garage. As someone who has been carting keyboards and amps up and down hills and stairs and across apartments for years now, this is a godsend. Let's take a look in there:

Dig all the built-in shelving? Perfect for our massive collection of books and vinyl, which will also cut WAY down on the amount of acoustic treatment we'll need for the walls. Note the many outlets running around the room, too. Eight-and-a-half foot ceilings, which (while not exactly Capitol Studios) is just high enough that I won't want to die when eventually using the space to record a drum set. Lord knows I've made records in more challenging spaces. Eventually the carpet will go, and we'll do additional sound treatment (my wife is pretty handy, and she wants to build some acoustic panels and cover them with artwork), and any other electrical and physical adjustments we want to make to improve it as a space for playing and recording amplified music, but it's already a better rehearsal space than anywhere else my bands congregate.

The non-shelf wall with the driveway door is probably going to be keyboard land, with our upright piano, the Wurlitzer, and eventually a Hammond/Leslie. This room will also be my wife's voice studio, so her students don't have to go through the rest of the house for their lessons.

I won't go through the whole house with you here, but I do want to show you the main open living area:
There's that bay window, where one day we hope to put a baby grand. Also a great spot for a Christmas tree, and general gazing out upon our domain.

We're going to be very busy come spring when we move in, and the first big project is going to be the kitchen, which, while functional, is heavily sequestered from the rest of the spaces, has a bizarre layout, and contains ancient appliances (including a tiny oven that looks like the TV my parents had in the early 90s). Fine, fine, homeowner stuff. But in the meantime, four bedrooms, two bathrooms, a lovely den area with a fireplace, and we got a terrific deal on it, one that actually makes the aesthetic updates we need to make reasonable. I'm sure I'm in for plenty of horrible surprises like anyone about to buy their first home, but for now I'm just trying to look forward to what the future holds!

I'll update you all again once we actually start getting settled in in a few months...

Samuel B. Lupowitz
Re: My next music purchase: a house [Re: samuelblupowitz] #3028856 02/13/20 05:35 PM
O
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
O
That's great. I am 1/3 moved into my new place. By March we will be in the house full time. It will be worth it Sam. You will love it.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Re: My next music purchase: a house [Re: Outkaster] #3028908 02/13/20 10:23 PM
davedoerfler Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
What's that white stuff all over the front lawn? grin

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Re: My next music purchase: a house [Re: samuelblupowitz] #3028909 02/13/20 10:24 PM
CowboyNQ Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Looks amazing Samuel. Very happy for you and Mandy!

Re: My next music purchase: a house [Re: samuelblupowitz] #3028913 02/13/20 10:32 PM
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Wow, what a place! The hardwood is gorgeous. And yes, a big hooray for a stairless load-in/out!

Eric
Website
Rhodes Mk 1 Stage 73; Hammond M3; Kurzweil SP-6; Roland FP-4, Juno-106; Nord Stage 3C; Studiologic Sledge; DSI Mopho KB; Moog Minitaur; Stuff
Re: My next music purchase: a house [Re: samuelblupowitz] #3028921 02/13/20 11:21 PM
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
That's awesome, Samuel! I know you're going to have fun fixing up the place as well as using it. keynana

(What's with the Sams getting new studio space around here lately? I should change my name. wink grin )

The great thing about music is that there's always something to learn. The frustrating thing about music is that there's always something to learn!
Re: My next music purchase: a house [Re: samuelblupowitz] #3028956 02/14/20 03:06 AM
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Congrats on getting into contract. That looks like a great studio space.

That’s hardly a dusting of snow. Are you sure you’re in Ithaca in February?

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Roland VR09, Yamaha P121
Traveling: Yamaha MX49, Reface CP and CS
Home: Vintage Vibe 64
Re: My next music purchase: a house [Re: Adan] #3028957 02/14/20 03:16 AM
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Yeah man! Congrats!!

"
Re: My next music purchase: a house [Re: samuelblupowitz] #3028959 02/14/20 03:33 AM
Noah B Offline
Looks like a killer space - especially with that shelving for vinyl. Mazel tov, man!

Acuna 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | EV-ZLX12P | Hammond M3
Re: My next music purchase: a house [Re: Adan] #3028974 02/14/20 05:08 AM
davedoerfler Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Adan

that photo was taken in July Python

Re: My next music purchase: a house [Re: samuelblupowitz] #3029004 02/14/20 02:57 PM
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I won't go through the whole house with you here, but I do want to show you the main open living area:
There's that bay window, where one day we hope to put a baby grand. ..

Very nice, Congrats. Looks like it has much potential !

Yes, I envision a 9' Concert Grand right in the middle of that room. And maybe one couch on one of the walls, nothing else in the room. High ceiling, hardwood floors. Perfect !

Oh wait...that's right, you have a wife. Oh well. grin

Re: My next music purchase: a house [Re: davedoerfler] #3029007 02/14/20 03:10 PM
Gold Member
OP Offline
Gold Member
Originally Posted by davedoerfler
Originally Posted by Adan

that photo was taken in July Python
Dave beat me to it with a funnier response, of course. wink

In all seriousness, though, those photos are from when the house went on the market in November.

Attached, find a picture of the house from the inspection this past Tuesday, apparently in Silent Hill.

Attached Files

Samuel B. Lupowitz
Re: My next music purchase: a house [Re: samuelblupowitz] #3029019 02/14/20 03:55 PM
O
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
O
I don't have all the furniture moved in but I moved a B-3 in when my fiance was at work in the back room.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Re: My next music purchase: a house [Re: Outkaster] #3029023 02/14/20 04:14 PM
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Outkaster
I don't have all the furniture moved in but I moved a B-3 in when my fiance was at work in the back room.

Shouldn't be a problem. She probably won't even notice.

JK - there's nothing subtle about a B3

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
-Mark Twain
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner