Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Mics you / I own, what's good?
KuruPrionz #3030062 02/21/20 05:22 PM
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member
In other news, tracking shows my Neat King Bee is out for delivery so I can pick it up after 3 today.
Will give it a quick spin and share findings.

Will start learning more about SDC, eventually I'll find a nice pair of those.

There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
KuruPrionz #3030101 02/21/20 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by KuruPrionz

What's your price range? I can make recommendations from quite affordable to oh yeah that's gonna hurt.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, whoop de doo)
Wordsmith - Musician - Tech Freak - Amiable Zany
Everyone on this forum is a friend I haven't met yet
-- except for Bryce, who's, well, YOU know.
Dr Mike Metlay #3030129 02/22/20 02:50 AM
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by Dr Mike Metlay
Originally Posted by KuruPrionz

What's your price range? I can make recommendations from quite affordable to oh yeah that's gonna hurt.

Your recommendations would be most welcome!!! 2-3 different ones from low to medium price please, and thank you! :- D

At the same time, I go about things differently than most people.
It seems fair to say I am a scavenger. I am very averse to stolen goods so I like to go to thrift stores because it seems doubtful that criminals would give their loot to Starvation Army so I am comfortable purchasing there.
That said, I shop craigslist too and have found amazing deals from people who were obviously totally on the up and up. Just missed an $80 mid-90's Guild Jumbo on there, being sold by a rich person out on the cliffs - Chuckanut Drive (you have to be rich to live there). I guess they didn't want it anymore...

I got both of my CAD mics (D82 ribbon and E100 (2) condenser) for a straight across trade - a beautiful Turkish baglama saz I found at Value Village for $40. By the time you add in bridges and shipping, I had close to $80 in it. So I got those mics for $40 each, more or less.

2 years ago I bought an ancient flamed koa ukulele at Goodwill for $5. It needed some work. I listed it as-is and accepted an offer - by the time fees were paid etc. I cleared $500.
So if I bought something with that $500 (bills, ugh!) you could say I paid $500 for it but an argument could also be made that I paid $5 for it, no?

I'm gigging a $40 Roland Cube 40gx -Value Village score.

I bought a Gurian guitar at Starvation Army in Fresno for $65 years ago and got $1,300 for it as-is.

I could go on and on. The AT mic I listed above was in the tools at Goodwill for $3.50.

Seek and ye shall find... Cheers, Kuru

KuruPrionz #3030137 02/22/20 06:09 AM
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member
^^^ Dr. Mike, there is a reply for you directly above ^^^

Neat King Bee condenser mic arrived and I gave it a quick spin.

In the far bedroom, door open, same conditions as the other mics. Fishman Loudbox in the far corner, mic was on the included shock mount with the included clip on pop filter and on the other side of the room facing the open door. This mic has more sensitivity than my other mics, the Gain on the Fishman was set around 8:30, other mics started at 9:30 and went up from there. The mic had a controlled feedback resonance ring in that room with EQ flat. It was midrange - approximately the high E string on a guitar in pitch. Some reviews say it is not cardioid but super or hyper cardioid, that would explain it since the speaker was aiming directly at the back of the mic. Overall, vocal tone from about 6" back was very full and clear.

So, to the studio. Ran straight into the Quantum. Listened with headphones. 6" is close enough to get a full, smooth sounding bottom end. Different than my ribbon but just as nice in it's own way. Mids and highs sounded clear and natural, nothing peaky or dippy of any consequence. The pop filter works very well, gotta love having it right where you want it without any fiddling about!!! At a guess, it should EQ very well. I want to try mixing to a full voice tone and see how it works. I feel like I sound better and I like that.

It is sensitive and picked up an undertow of freeway traffic. It was responsive to improvements, shifting it on it's axis found a quieter angle and holding a 14" piece of 4" thick finger foam in the right location behind the mic took the noise down even more. I was not singing loud at all, I can easily increase the volume. So I turned down the preamp until I couldn't hear the noise and I could get the meter hopping close to zero.
So it will work for me until a semi pops their air brake.

It is very large and heavy. The neck for the capsule is a full 9/16" in diameter and does not look at all dainty. The capsule measures nearly 3" across. If you set it vertical, it will slowly attempt to lean forward in the shock mount. It might partly be the bands slipping a bit. I did tighten the thumbscrew for adjust the angle of the mount more than I usually would want or need to. It will certainly stay put well beyond the time it is in use.

It is every bit as homely and garish as it looks in the photos. Sort of a doomsday milk carton with a hair dryer sticking out of the top. The yellow is very bright, radioactive.
Underneath the silicone bands it is white, which is also ghastly. So I'll just leave it as it is. I'm sure I'll be ignoring the looks in a day or two.

I may be a minority of one but I actually appreciate that they left the HPF and Pad switches off. I've had to clean and/or replace switches on audio gear more than once because it was adversely affecting the sound. I don't recall ever replacing a short length of insulated hookup wire that was properly soldered on both ends. No moving parts, no wear and tear. The Focusrite pre has both those capabilities, redundant failure points are a negative.

I doubt anybody can find a better performing NEW $100 large diaphram condenser mic on the market right now. If you want one it might be time to step up. I have no affiliation but this is bang for the buck.

KuruPrionz #3030812 02/28/20 02:26 AM
Wow, Kuru. I have frequently suspected that I live in the wrong part of the country for really good music finds in pawnshops and thrift stores, but this pretty much confirms it. smile To answer your question...

The most affordable new ones that are worth owning are the LCT 040 MATCH from LEWITT. They're compact, sturdy, clear, easy to set up, go anywhere, and are a real sleeper hit for most places where you'd use an SDC.

I used to recommend the RØDE M5, which is a great mic and costs roughly the same per pair as the LCT 040 MATCH, but is larger and slightly trickier to place in tight spaces. That's not a knock on the M5 or any other SDC out there, which are nearly all this size; it's just that the LCT 040 MATCH is so much smaller! Both of these will run you about $200 per pair, as will the very solid Audio-Technica AT2021.

In the $429/pair range, the RØDE NT5 is a solid, high-quality mic that competes with stuff in the up-to-$1000/pair range (depending on the maker). Nearly everyone is making SDC pairs these days, but RØDE's affordable offerings have been around a while and made a lot of fans.

Really expensive SDCs are wasted on my recording room, which needs a lot of acoustic treatment at the moment. If price were no object and I had a room and a regular gig for them, my dream SDC would be the Josephson Microphones Series Four, which right now consists of only one mic: the C42, a lovingly-crafted and gorgeous SDC mic that's usually sold in matched pairs for about $1000.

The mic that most recording pros consider "the SDC to beat" is the Neumann KM 84, which went off the market in favor of the Neumann KM 184. Pros with golden ears (whatever those are) say that they like the sound of the 84 better than that of the 184; that's why a pair of 184s will run you $1500 and a pair of decent-shape 84s could run as much as $6000.

The only SDCs I own right now aren't made any more and were very expensive when they were being made; I don't use them nearly enough to justify keeping them but I'll be damned if I sell them. smile

Hope this helps.

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, whoop de doo)
Wordsmith - Musician - Tech Freak - Amiable Zany
Everyone on this forum is a friend I haven't met yet
-- except for Bryce, who's, well, YOU know.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dr Mike Metlay 

Link Copied to Clipboard