Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Powered monitor recommendations

Hiya,

I did use the search function, but couldn't find a thread quite like this in the one year range.

My budget is (I converted ) around 700 USD.

Specifics :- I don't want to need a sub. I do however run drum machines and loops. Keys, double bass on keys, and vocals.

No EVs please, I've had multiple unreliability experiences . Where I work, we had lots of them, and all have died over the past 5 years, and heave been very hard to find replacement parts where I am.

Also, small isnice.

So far looking at QSC K8.2 , and FBT J8A. Anyone know about these for suitability , or have any good ideas ?

Many thanks

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say enough good things about the K8.2 for my particular situation. I've recommended them to a bunch of folks over on the Nord forum, and they've had similar experiences.

Clean, flat response, loud, surprising bass extension for a measly 8", can be used as either a monitor or as part of a small-scale FOH. APs sound great through them. Did I mention it was relatively small and light?

Call around and ask for B stock, you'll probably end up with a great deal.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I've used our K10.2s from time to time at practice (normally they are the tops of our PA). . They sound very crisp and clear, and handle piano very well, which is usually the achilles heel of amps and cheap speakers.

I've used Mackies, EVs, and now I use a pair of K8s (1st version). They are so far superior to anything else, I never hesitate to recommend 'em. K8.2s even better!

IMHO 2 K8s has ample low end. Often bordering on too much, and I regularly play LH bass thru 'em. Awesome. I think you have to spend a LOT more to get any better (RCF, Folcrom, etc.)

I've used Mackies, EVs, and now I use a pair of K8s (1st version). They are so far superior to anything else, I never hesitate to recommend 'em. K8.2s even better!

IMHO 2 K8s has ample low end. Often bordering on too much, and I regularly play LH bass thru 'em. Awesome. I think you have to spend a LOT more to get any better (RCF, Folcrom, etc.)

I can corroborate every statement above. I've had my 2 K8s a little over ten years now. Like Bill, I roll off low end even when playing LH bass. I can imagine the K.2s must be better, though I have no urge to upgrade as I'm 100% happy with my sound. Anyone else here using PPAs they bought >= 10 years ago that can say that? OK shut up you Fulcrum, L'Acoustic and RCF guys! :)

Seriously, when it comes to the balance between weight, sound, and price, imo the QSCs are at the top. I'm not saying the other brands have nothing to offer of course, but you asked for recommendations and now you have mine!

I've stopped recommending low to mid priced monitors. EV, JBL, QSC - I've bought and tried bunches of them. They all sound peaky or boomy or muddy to me. When a brotha absolutely needs stage monitors, I use a pair of TT08a - otherwise, it's in ears.
I also bought/sold several speakers, but finally laid out for 2 EV ETX 10P' s and am happy at this point. I can't afford to spend much more.

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

Thank you :). Reading more had me even more confused for a while.

I don't really need things to sound unnaturally bassy , but I do need the bass to be handled properly, as I'll use double bass through it, as well as large sounding kicks and kit. That said, I'll also be playing jazz , just on piano..

Still stand by the K8's?

I eliminated the Alto 308's, based on the simple idea of , I may as well get something better if I can afford it... I ruled out larger QSC's because I have tried an 8 inch passive one, and it was pretty amazing , and I'm sure the Q8 will be better, as this ones only fault , strangely, was on piano sounds , so it'd have to be the 8.2.

I've also ruled out the Line 6 L2M, just based on QSC being far more well known and used.

Reckon I'll be cool with just one?

I could afford a pair of Alto's but it eats a lot of stage real estate, and I don't know if I'd be better off.

Stereo i find is rarely enjoyed in real life gig situations :( . It's nice at home, but for that there's near field monitors and headphones !

Just be very nice to them! I've worked a residency in one venue for 5 years. Across two venues in the chain, there were 5 EV monitors...

All of them have had some kind of issue and have eventually been retired. A lot of them had been repaired multiple times, and then there started to be a problem getting replaced parts (I currently live and work in the UAE, so actually replacement parts for most brands is a problem haha) .

That said, though I'm not sure what model the venue had, it's not yours , and presumably was lower end!

APs on the K8.2 sound pristine. You could get better, but you'd have to spend a lot more. I also have a pair of the aforementioned RCF TT08-as (not to mention a bunch of other higher-end amplification). If you're looking for a self-contained PA, it's hard to imagine more bang-for-the-buck.

Go to the QSC site and check out the tech documentation. You'll see a frequency response curve that goes way down. There's more than enough watts to move air. And that's before you use the "deep" setting.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Stereo i find is rarely enjoyed in real life gig situations :( . It's nice at home, but for that there's near field monitors and headphones !

Well here we go again. Are you saying that from personal experience? I've monitored myself in mono and stereo, and very much prefer stereo. Typically, my two K8s are in back of me and separated by around four or five feet â they can cover me, the stage, and audience (if a room is big enough that my two Ks can't cover it, I'm almost always going into a house PA â but I rarely need to on local gigs). Nothing like a giant brass pad, organ w/Leslie, or strings sounding from all around to keep a smile on my face. And close-miced acoustic piano stereo samples definitely sound better when reproduced that way. Having the K8s are like having near field monitors that are loud & clear enough for gigs. I hear a lot of people here say "if it sounds good to the audience I don't care how it sounds to me as long as I can hear myself"; I have never understood that way of thinking and never will. I've also never heard anyone say they prefer the sound of stereo samples or patches in mono. Even straight up synth patches are usually processed through efx that add a stereophonic component to the sound like reverb, chorusing or delay. Again, if you are happy with your sound being mono, that's the bottom line and more power to you as you'll save money and have less to carry & set up. It's just "not my tempo." :)