Print Thread
Recording console designs
#3027556 02/04/20 10:00 PM
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
I am finally going to build or buy a console for my DAW home studio. I'm looking for designs you like that successfully juggle desk real estate.

- How do you position keyboard, control surface and transport controls, computer keyboard so that they are all ergonomically reachable?
- Racks in the desk, under the desk, or to the side? (I don't have a lot of rack gear, but the main interface/mixer (Presonus StudioLive 24R) I would like up top next to a patchbay where all the instruments come in.)

- How do you deal with recording instruments set up away from the desk when you need remote transport controls?

Moe
---
"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com
Re: Recording console designs
mate stubb #3027577 02/05/20 12:08 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by mate stubb

- How do you deal with recording instruments set up away from the desk when you need remote transport controls?

I haven't gotten it up and running yet but I am going to try a Presonus Faderport One for running the DAW from a (fairly short) distance. My studio is small, a 10' USB cord should give me more than enough reach.
I'll want to be able to use the "Abort and Restart" function, that is super handy. I think it can be programmed to do that.

There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
mate stubb #3027582 02/05/20 01:10 AM
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
I've used stuff from Omnirax and Argosy. Currently using an Argosy 70 series with my TASCAM DM 3200

I don't really keep a (music) keyboard near the mix position - I have a wireless mouse and (computer) keyboard that I move around the studio to whatever (music) keyboard I'm playing.

dB

mate stubb #3027846 02/06/20 06:34 PM
Gold Member
Online Content
Gold Member
popcorn

Samuel B. Lupowitz
Composer. Arranger. Musician. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.
mate stubb #3028550 02/11/20 09:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member
I have debated getting a proper console desk for my studio for over 20 years. I don't really have the room for a big one, and so I have made do with an unusual solution from many years back:

I have an old computer hutch from back in the days when computers were all huge boxes with gigantic heavy CRT monitors. It holds my computer, QWERTY keyboard and trackball on a slide-out tray, peripherals on lower shelves, and small monitors for quick auditioning and mix checking on the top bookshelf. The real center of it all is the copy shelf, a slanted board that was originally designed to hold books or manuals while you typed; it's where I mount my Linnstrument and two of my iPads, in easy ergonomic reach.

Argosy furniture is gorgeous, but out of my size and price range. I am contemplating one of the Output desks, which is apparently very nice, but I am trying to avoid anything with a heavy offering of rackspaces at the expense of other gear, as I have practically no rack gear left by now.

I always have to have a keyboard controller of some kind in front of me. For many years, I would use metal hooks to precariously hang 3-octave or 4-octave controllers at an angle on my copy shelf; at one time or another, it held a Korg Prophecy, Novation X-Station 49, Samson Graphite 49, KMI K-Board Pro 4, and probably a few others I'm forgetting, but the ergonomics of playing keys at that angle were very awkward (the LinnStrument works great, though). It is very tempting to get one of those big consoles with a slide-out controller tray, but then I'd have to pick one keyboard to put there out of the six I currently own...

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) grin
Janitor and Hall Monitor, Dr. Mike's Studio Workshop

clicky!: more about me ~ my schwag ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job

Moderated by  Dr Mike Metlay 

Link Copied to Clipboard