Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What all chorus 'n' modulation pedals d'ya got?

What all chorus- or other modulation- pedals d'ya got? Funny thing, I pretty much HATE *most* chorus effects; makes me particularly discriminating about what I *do* like...

If you like chorus, you really should get a TC Electronic Stereo Chorus/Flanger, the original 'bigger box', all-analog version, either '80s or later reissue; fantastic chorus, flanger, and "Pitch Modulator" effects, AND extremely full-range frequencies, good for any instrument, including acoustic guitar, bass, piano, violin, cello, very high-fidelity and CLEAN, with an excellent CLEAN boost capability. AMAZING fed into a plate-style reverb. If you stack this pedal into any other modulation pedals, it completely supercharges the whole effect! Single/mono in, stereo outs, stereo modulation effects.

You're probably already familiar with the EHX Small Clone- "Come As You Are"... I think it always sounds its best with its two-way Depth Switch up (I think it's up), on the more intense sounding setting... So vibrant and dimensional, it almost sounds 'stereo' even though it's strictly 'mono'...

If you ever have any use for echo, whether slap-back, or any echo deployment you care to repeat ;) , the Strymon El Capistan has a BEAUTIFUL tape-machine-style "Wow & Flutter" modulation that lays most chorus-effects to shame. For that alone, it's practically an "on-all-the-time" pedal for me! The number of parameters and wide variety of potential settings and sounds is DEEP. Full stereo I/O path (1/4" TRS Input, L and R Outputs).

The Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble 'Leslie-sim' is amazing, and includes separate Effect and Dry Level controls. Grind, gurgle, swirl like an organ; INCREDIBLE in stereo. Boutique pedal geeks- don't let the fact that it's a Boss let you snub it... Fully stereo I/O, separate Left and Right Ins and Outs, stereo perceived-rotation effect. Left-Out to amp, Right-Out to D/I to PA/monitors sounds GIGANTIC.

Any or all of these stacked together in series are amazing.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Boss CE2 Chorus was my 2nd pedal ever purchased. I still have it; but it is no longer on the board. It works, but has taken some abuse. Plus it needs a new screw & rubber piece for holding down the battery cover/stomp section.

Currently, I use the Visual Sound H2O Chorus/Delay double pedal (V3) for thickening and slight swirl; and a Pigtronix Quantum Time Modulator for more "out there" warbly effects. The Quantum takes a bit more dialing in to get right where I want it. It's got a wide sweep, as it were, for each control that being off just a bit is enough to sound... well, off, and de-tuned. But sometimes, that's what you want.

For bass, a trusty Boss CEB3 does the trick.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

If you like chorus, you really should get a TC Electronic Stereo Chorus/Flanger, the original 'bigger box', all-analog version, either '80s or later reissue; fantastic chorus, flanger, and "Pitch Modulator" effects, AND extremely full-range frequencies, good for any instrument, including acoustic guitar, bass, piano, violin, cello, very high-fidelity and CLEAN, with an excellent CLEAN boost capability. AMAZING fed into a plate-style reverb. If you stack this pedal into any other modulation pedals, it completely supercharges the whole effect! Single/mono in, stereo outs, stereo modulation effects.

TC Electronic Stereo Chorus+ has been my go-to for years on my acoustic. I have a 25th Anniversary edition. :2thu:

dB

562.thumb.jpg.622e28ea3055b82106f4e60260a9c369.jpg

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

TC Electronic Stereo Chorus+ has been my go-to for years on my acoustic. I have a 25th Anniversary edition. :2thu:

dB

Oh, WOW!! :love: How cool!

I don't do pedals anymore, except for things which only exist in pedal form, like the EHX MEL9 & B9. Everything else, which is a WHOLE LOT of processing, is happening with multifunction rack units. And there's also a Barber TonePress in front of it all. But the last pedal to inhabit my board, because it was cooler sounding than anything in a rack (except for the rack unit it was descended from,) was the Boss Dimension C DC2. Four push button presets, no knobs. Spacious chorus without any sense of an LFO going up & down. And studio quiet too. I pretty much stayed on preset #1, the most subtle of the 4. I think they might have started making these again, years after they were discontinued.
Scott Fraser

I use only a reverb pedal with my overdrive pedal. No chorus and no modulation pedals anymore. I used to have all of those things back in the day, but slowly I began to want a more standard sound from my amp/guitars, with a little touch of 'verb.

I'm a little intimidated by modulation pedals, I don't fully understand them. I had to refere to Winston's SFX 101 To find out exactly what effects were modulation.

The only modulation pedal I have is a JHS Tidewater mini Tremolo. I also have a MXR Carbon Copy Delay which has a modulation switch, not sure that qualifies.

I would like to have a Keeley Monterey someday, but for now the price is to high for me.

Jenny S.

First, the one that got away. I had an opportunity to do a trade with cash on my end for a Focusrite ISA One preamp. 2 pedals were involved - Boss DD-5 (goodwill find) and Digitech Luxe.

The Luxe is not a traditional chorus, it is a detuner and can dial in subtle amounts of + or - tuning. In mono. There is no clock, it creates modulation the same way that a pair of strings that are almost but not quite in tune will "beat" in a specific time depending on how close to the same pitch they are tuned.

It does not sound like any chorus I've used (plenty!!). In mono it is a lovely option but in stereo it is lush 3d modulation Heaven. Some reviewers have two and pitch one up and one down. You could stay stereo with that since you can mix the original sound with the shifted sound right on the pedal. I'd like to hear that!!! For now, it's gone. I don't think it sold well. I may pick up a couple of used ones in the future, I am glad to have the Focusrite - it makes so many mics, basses and acoustic guitars sound much better.

I have a TC Electronics Flashback x4. I loaded a Toneprint chorus for Preset 1, made my own more subtle chorus for Preset 2 and use Preset 3 for Delay with tap tempo. Bigger pedal but 3 in one and only on power suppy and 2 cords needed so I say it's a win. That and a channel switch for my amp are all I need to gig, keeps the floor uncluttered (at least until I add back the wah!).

But wait, there's more!!!!

I have been transitioning to amplifiers that have multi-effects built in. Best form factor so far is the Boss Katana 100 Combo with the Roland GA-FC footswitch. This can provide 8 different amp/effect presets. The button on the right end changes the footswitch from an amp/effects preset selector to a "pedalboard" for the current amp/effect preset. So, I can switch distortion, chorus etc. on/off and with a delay I can also get a tap tempo.

They recently updated the firmware so there are 60 some-odd Boss effects to choose from. The computer interface for programming the amp is super easy to use and as an example, the chorus on the screen had 7 adjustments compared to maybe 3 that are available in a compact floor pedal. Add in the great sounding speaker sim Line Out and this is a gigger's dream. One cord to the guitar, one to the footswitch and one to the PA - DONE. It took some experimenting but I've found I get great "tube" tones by switching the power selector to 1/2 watt and turning the Master volume up to about noon. Great gig volume and that happy place where the little tube amp is starting growl.

I also have a Peavey Transtube EFX 250 with a 10" Scorpion - the Rotary Speaker effect on that is lush, especially in stereo. Plus a Roland Cube 40 which has chorus, phaser, flanger and tremolo that are nice in stereo. Plus a Peavey Vypyr VIP 3 and as soon as I upgrade the speaker to a 10", a Peavey Vypyr VIP 1. Sanpera 1 and 2 pedalboards are here, even the little VIP 1 can use one.

Next step is figuring out the best 2 small amps for a stereo rig. Then I will rule ALL the swirly-whirly!!!! Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Let's see -

Keeley Seafoam Chorus V1 on both of my main pedalboards. I use it as more of a thickener than a Modulation effect.

Keeley Bubbletron in my 21st Century Pedalboard, for Flanger, Phaser & Filter effects. I have the Bubbletron set to respond to playing dynamics to trigger the Flanger or Phaser, so there isn't a constant LFO sound.

Big Briar Moogerfooger 12-Stage Phaser. One of the first hundred made, back when the late Bob Moog couldn't use his own name for his own company.

Cruzer by Crafter Analog Chorus. This is a fun one. It may be the same box as the Modtone Analog Chorus? A combo present from my wife, along with a little Cruzer by Crafter Analog Delay, which isn't really Analog.

Most of my other pedals are either Delays, Distortions or Noise Toys (Ring Mods, Bit Crushers, Glitch Boxes). The majority of my effects live in my FX Rack (Lexicon JamMan, Lexicon Vortex, Lexicon MPX100, Alesis Quadraverb+, Digitech Studio 5000 & Digitech RDS 1900) or in my Pedalboard-style MFX (GT-3, GT-10, ME-25, GT-1).

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I use only a reverb pedal with my overdrive pedal. No chorus and no modulation pedals anymore. I used to have all of those things back in the day, but slowly I began to want a more standard sound from my amp/guitars, with a little touch of 'verb.

+1 DBM, I no longer use chorus and modulation pedals. I have both in my multi-effects pedal which has been sitting in the closet for quite some time. Any pedal that gets the sound you're after and brings joy to the user, is worth having on the board. The music I like to play needs no effects other than a little verb. :cool:

Take care, Larryz

I also have a Big Joe phaser. The main thing I like about this is the blend knob, so I can have as much or as little of the effect in there as I want. Sometimes just a little of it is enough to make a lead section stand out without resorting to using a boost or extra gain stage. Or you can go full out Van Halen.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Hi there, I"m a pedal addict, and I don"t necessarily know what pedals I have or how they should be classified. Confession over; here"s what I can recall off the top of my head:

Boss RT-20

EHX B9

EHX C9

EHX Epitome

Visual Sound H2O V2

Truetone H2O V3

Keeley Jimi Hazel Echophase

Keeley Dark Side of the Moon

Keeley Bubbletron

Keeley Phase 24

McCafferey Run Rabbit Run

TWA Little Dipper MkII

TWA Triskelion

Catalinbread Zero Point

Catalinbread Callisto

Pigtronix Mother Ship

Line 6 ToneCore Space Chorus

Subdecay Starlight Flanger MkII

Digitech iPB-10

DigiTech Dirty Robot

Korg Px4

Korg Px5

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Big Briar Moogerfooger 12-Stage Phaser. One of the first hundred made, back when the late Bob Moog couldn't use his own name for his own company.

I have one of those, too. The fact that it has STUN and KILL settings made buying it a no-brainer. :rocker;

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I have one of those, too. The fact that it has STUN and KILL settings made buying it a no-brainer. :rocker;

dB

You'd probably appreciate this, then:

v4giku8s6i6p5mvnvfds.jpg

• 8 months later...

Does anyone have the Warm Audio Jet Phaser? I didn't know about it until today, when it showed up in a 15% off sale from Guitar Center. I have the famous Electro-Harmonix phaser in its nano form and sold the MXR as I never liked that one, but this one is apparently modeled after the one that was used so much in funk music during the 70's (the Roland AP-7 Jet Phaser).

Big and relatively expensive at $199. Warm Audio is a good company.

https://guitar.com/review/effects-pedal/review-warm-audio-jet-phaser/

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JetPhaser--warm-audio-jet-phaser-pedal

I like what I'm hearing, but I mostly use phaser on keys vs. guitar or bass, so it's a shame that the demos are guitar-only. This pedal apparently just came out a few weeks ago.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

What all chorus 'n' modulation pedals d'ya got?

I have a reverb pedal for each pedal board I own. (although in the past I had phasers and delays, and other things I can not remember) All I need these days is clean, overdrive, and a very tiny amount of verb.

Not a pedal but I'd buy one if was (it is available on the Eventide H9, a bit spendy but maybe someday).

Eventide MicroPitch plugin. Input Volume, Stereo Detuners (independent) with a Pitch Mix control, Stereo Delays (independent), Modulation (depends on delay time - Flange, Chorus), Feedback, Tone, Tempo Switch for Manual, Sync and Offf plus Tap Tempo, Output Volume PLUS a horizontal Ribbon Controller near the bottom so you can create 2 settings and cross-fade or blend them.

Sounds fantastic and variations are truly endless.

Warm Audio Jet Phaser? ...apparently modeled after the one that was used so much in funk music during the 70's (the Roland AP-7 Jet Phaser).

I agree on both counts- however, I was actually expecting an even steeper price, and that's not too bad for the type- big, Moog-y, oddball vintage style...

I like what I'm hearing, but I mostly use phaser on keys vs. guitar or bass, so it's a shame that the demos are guitar-only.

Well, there are bass and even vocal/mic demos given; if it covers all three of those, I can't imagine it not serving you very well with your keys.

Some of the sounds I hear in some of these demo videos- and also in those of the Roland AP-7 Jet Phaser that it's a 'clone' of- really strongly remind me of, say, the grinding keyboard track in the ending phase ( ;) ) of "Once In A Lifetime" (Bernie Worrell?) by Talking Heads.

I kinda like it; I might hafta get one, someday. Maybe.

Here's Larry Graham getting some great sounds with his ol' four-string bass through his "antique" Roland AP-7 Jet Phaser- Larry, they're being made again!

[video:youtube]

Ha! Right now none. Preparing to go out next year. I"ve always tried to be accurate when covering tunes which led to massive boards. Eventually went to two boards, one in the loop and one before the nose of the amp. It cut the weight and was more ergonomic.

Not anymore. I"m going out with my tone. I don"t like modulation that much. Choruses don"t have balls when I use them. I"m going with a wah and tuner and some drives. I like tremolo. I get some spring verb from my Boogies for feel and an analog delay. I may replace the Plexi Drive Deluxe with the standard Plexi Drive. I dont use the red channel anyway. It compresses too much. I want the Plexi to sound open. The standard model Plexi Drive will give more room for the output cable coming from the mini volume. I don"t consider Phase 90 a member of the modulation family. I treat is like a filter/wah effect. Put it at 10:00 like Eddie.

I don"t stack drives much. It raises noise floors when I do that. I set different types of dirt on the different pedals. The pedal hits the various gain setting on the Recto. For my highest gain setting it"s no pedals... just the Modern channel on the Recto.

oy3xrfG.jpg

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I have a Boss CH-1 because I needed that sound but my favorite chorus of all time was my old AC powered Memory Man set on Chorus. A bit noisy but really thick and juicy.

Ha! Right now none. Preparing to go out next year. I"ve always tried to be accurate when covering tunes which led to massive boards. Eventually went to two boards, one in the loop and one before the nose of the amp. It cut the weight and was more ergonomic.

Not anymore. I"m going out with my tone. I don"t like modulation that much. Choruses don"t have balls when I use them. I"m going with a wah and tuner and some drives. I like tremolo. I get some spring verb from my Boogies for feel and an analog delay. I may replace the Plexi Drive Deluxe with the standard Plexi Drive. I dont use the red channel anyway. It compresses too much. I want the Plexi to sound open. The standard model with give more room for the output cable coming from the mini volume. I don"t consider Phase 90 a member of the modulation family. I treat is like a filter/wah effect. Put it at 10:00 like Eddie.

I don"t stack drives much. It raises noise floors when I do that. I set different types of dirt on the different pedals. The pedal hits the various gain setting on the Recto. For my highest gain setting it"s no pedals... just the Modern channel on the Recto.

oy3xrfG.jpg

You have a Tech 21 Killer Wail!!! I have one, it used to work but now it doesn't. I want to fix it, great wah pedal.

I went through a search for a wah - all the ones that sounded good picked up the radio when cocked back - drove me insane. Tech 21 has a hum cancelling feature so no radio. And it gets that "animal sound" that I love from a wah.

My tech has fixed the Killer Wail. It"s pretty much just a standard inductor wah. But it does a deep circuit and a noise filter I think. I don"t know why Tech 21 quit making it. I like it. It"s smaller than the alternative at the time and quieter. I set it on Deep.

I am sorely tempted by the Strymon DECO; I'd love to use it to approximate the Varispeed/Automatic Double Tracking abuse that Eric Clapton and assistant engineer Chris Thomas used to great effect on his parts in the Beatles' "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"; a great alternative to "chorus"!

My tech has fixed the Killer Wail. It"s pretty much just a standard inductor wah. But it does a deep circuit and a noise filter I think. I don"t know why Tech 21 quit making it. I like it. It"s smaller than the alternative at the time and quieter. I set it on Deep.

Tech 21 mentions the humbucking inductor here: http://www.tech21nyc.com/archive/killer-wail/

I liked mine in Deep as well, still plenty of growl without piercing highs. Mine says Made in Brazil on it, not sure why it was discontinued either. Like many Tech 21 products, it was superior to most if not all other options. I also like that they steadfastly put the input and output jacks on their pedals on the front instead of the sides.

Warm Audio Jet Phaser? ...apparently modeled after the one that was used so much in funk music during the 70's (the Roland AP-7 Jet Phaser).

I agree on both counts- however, I was actually expecting an even steeper price, and that's not too bad for the type- big, Moog-y, oddball vintage style...

Agree here. I own one of the last off the assembly line MoogerFooger MF 103 Phase Shifters, purchased October 2018. They were $299.00

:nopity: