Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What all chorus 'n' modulation pedals d'ya got? #3027486 02/04/20 02:53 PM
Caevan O'Shite Offline OP
20k Club
OP Offline
20k Club
What all chorus- or other modulation- pedals d'ya got? Funny thing, I pretty much HATE *most* chorus effects; makes me particularly discriminating about what I *do* like...

If you like chorus, you really should get a TC Electronic Stereo Chorus/Flanger, the original 'bigger box', all-analog version, either '80s or later reissue; fantastic chorus, flanger, and "Pitch Modulator" effects, AND extremely full-range frequencies, good for any instrument, including acoustic guitar, bass, piano, violin, cello, very high-fidelity and CLEAN, with an excellent CLEAN boost capability. AMAZING fed into a plate-style reverb. If you stack this pedal into any other modulation pedals, it completely supercharges the whole effect! Single/mono in, stereo outs, stereo modulation effects.

You're probably already familiar with the EHX Small Clone- "Come As You Are"... I think it always sounds its best with its two-way Depth Switch up (I think it's up), on the more intense sounding setting... So vibrant and dimensional, it almost sounds 'stereo' even though it's strictly 'mono'...

If you ever have any use for echo, whether slap-back, or any echo deployment you care to repeat wink , the Strymon El Capistan has a BEAUTIFUL tape-machine-style "Wow & Flutter" modulation that lays most chorus-effects to shame. For that alone, it's practically an "on-all-the-time" pedal for me! The number of parameters and wide variety of potential settings and sounds is DEEP. Full stereo I/O path (1/4" TRS Input, L and R Outputs).

The Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble 'Leslie-sim' is amazing, and includes separate Effect and Dry Level controls. Grind, gurgle, swirl like an organ; INCREDIBLE in stereo. Boutique pedal geeks- don't let the fact that it's a Boss let you snub it... Fully stereo I/O, separate Left and Right Ins and Outs, stereo perceived-rotation effect. Left-Out to amp, Right-Out to D/I to PA/monitors sounds GIGANTIC.

Any or all of these stacked together in series are amazing.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _
GP Island
Re: What all chorus 'n' modulation pedals d'ya got? [Re: Caevan O'Shite] #3027487 02/04/20 03:10 PM
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
The Boss CE2 Chorus was my 2nd pedal ever purchased. I still have it; but it is no longer on the board. It works, but has taken some abuse. Plus it needs a new screw & rubber piece for holding down the battery cover/stomp section.

Currently, I use the Visual Sound H2O Chorus/Delay double pedal (V3) for thickening and slight swirl; and a Pigtronix Quantum Time Modulator for more "out there" warbly effects. The Quantum takes a bit more dialing in to get right where I want it. It's got a wide sweep, as it were, for each control that being off just a bit is enough to sound... well, off, and de-tuned. But sometimes, that's what you want.

For bass, a trusty Boss CEB3 does the trick.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)
NEW band Old band
Re: What all chorus 'n' modulation pedals d'ya got? [Re: Caevan O'Shite] #3027491 02/04/20 03:46 PM
Dave Bryce Offline
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
Originally Posted by Caevan O'Shite
If you like chorus, you really should get a TC Electronic Stereo Chorus/Flanger, the original 'bigger box', all-analog version, either '80s or later reissue; fantastic chorus, flanger, and "Pitch Modulator" effects, AND extremely full-range frequencies, good for any instrument, including acoustic guitar, bass, piano, violin, cello, very high-fidelity and CLEAN, with an excellent CLEAN boost capability. AMAZING fed into a plate-style reverb. If you stack this pedal into any other modulation pedals, it completely supercharges the whole effect! Single/mono in, stereo outs, stereo modulation effects.

TC Electronic Stereo Chorus+ has been my go-to for years on my acoustic. I have a 25th Anniversary edition. 2thu

dB

Attached Files IMG_6412.JPG
Re: What all chorus 'n' modulation pedals d'ya got? [Re: Dave Bryce] #3027494 02/04/20 03:57 PM
20k Club
OP Offline
20k Club
Originally Posted by Dave Bryce
Originally Posted by Caevan O'Shite

TC Electronic Stereo Chorus+ has been my go-to for years on my acoustic. I have a 25th Anniversary edition. 2thu

dB

Oh, WOW!! love How cool!

Re: What all chorus 'n' modulation pedals d'ya got? [Re: Caevan O'Shite] #3027503 02/04/20 04:56 PM
S
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
S
I don't do pedals anymore, except for things which only exist in pedal form, like the EHX MEL9 & B9. Everything else, which is a WHOLE LOT of processing, is happening with multifunction rack units. And there's also a Barber TonePress in front of it all. But the last pedal to inhabit my board, because it was cooler sounding than anything in a rack (except for the rack unit it was descended from,) was the Boss Dimension C DC2. Four push button presets, no knobs. Spacious chorus without any sense of an LFO going up & down. And studio quiet too. I pretty much stayed on preset #1, the most subtle of the 4. I think they might have started making these again, years after they were discontinued.

Scott Fraser
Re: What all chorus 'n' modulation pedals d'ya got? [Re: Caevan O'Shite] #3027510 02/04/20 05:41 PM
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I use only a reverb pedal with my overdrive pedal. No chorus and no modulation pedals anymore. I used to have all of those things back in the day, but slowly I began to want a more standard sound from my amp/guitars, with a little touch of 'verb.

dbm
If it sounds good, it is good !!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=143231&content=music
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick
Re: What all chorus 'n' modulation pedals d'ya got? [Re: Caevan O'Shite] #3027514 02/04/20 06:22 PM
surfergirl Offline
I'm a little intimidated by modulation pedals, I don't fully understand them. I had to refere to Winston's SFX 101 To find out exactly what effects were modulation.
The only modulation pedal I have is a JHS Tidewater mini Tremolo. I also have a MXR Carbon Copy Delay which has a modulation switch, not sure that qualifies.
I would like to have a Keeley Monterey someday, but for now the price is to high for me.

Jenny S.
Re: What all chorus 'n' modulation pedals d'ya got? [Re: Caevan O'Shite] #3027517 02/04/20 06:31 PM
KuruPrionz Online Content
Gold Member
Online Content
Gold Member
First, the one that got away. I had an opportunity to do a trade with cash on my end for a Focusrite ISA One preamp. 2 pedals were involved - Boss DD-5 (goodwill find) and Digitech Luxe.
The Luxe is not a traditional chorus, it is a detuner and can dial in subtle amounts of + or - tuning. In mono. There is no clock, it creates modulation the same way that a pair of strings that are almost but not quite in tune will "beat" in a specific time depending on how close to the same pitch they are tuned.

It does not sound like any chorus I've used (plenty!!). In mono it is a lovely option but in stereo it is lush 3d modulation Heaven. Some reviewers have two and pitch one up and one down. You could stay stereo with that since you can mix the original sound with the shifted sound right on the pedal. I'd like to hear that!!! For now, it's gone. I don't think it sold well. I may pick up a couple of used ones in the future, I am glad to have the Focusrite - it makes so many mics, basses and acoustic guitars sound much better.

I have a TC Electronics Flashback x4. I loaded a Toneprint chorus for Preset 1, made my own more subtle chorus for Preset 2 and use Preset 3 for Delay with tap tempo. Bigger pedal but 3 in one and only on power suppy and 2 cords needed so I say it's a win. That and a channel switch for my amp are all I need to gig, keeps the floor uncluttered (at least until I add back the wah!).

But wait, there's more!!!!

I have been transitioning to amplifiers that have multi-effects built in. Best form factor so far is the Boss Katana 100 Combo with the Roland GA-FC footswitch. This can provide 8 different amp/effect presets. The button on the right end changes the footswitch from an amp/effects preset selector to a "pedalboard" for the current amp/effect preset. So, I can switch distortion, chorus etc. on/off and with a delay I can also get a tap tempo.
They recently updated the firmware so there are 60 some-odd Boss effects to choose from. The computer interface for programming the amp is super easy to use and as an example, the chorus on the screen had 7 adjustments compared to maybe 3 that are available in a compact floor pedal. Add in the great sounding speaker sim Line Out and this is a gigger's dream. One cord to the guitar, one to the footswitch and one to the PA - DONE. It took some experimenting but I've found I get great "tube" tones by switching the power selector to 1/2 watt and turning the Master volume up to about noon. Great gig volume and that happy place where the little tube amp is starting growl.

I also have a Peavey Transtube EFX 250 with a 10" Scorpion - the Rotary Speaker effect on that is lush, especially in stereo. Plus a Roland Cube 40 which has chorus, phaser, flanger and tremolo that are nice in stereo. Plus a Peavey Vypyr VIP 3 and as soon as I upgrade the speaker to a 10", a Peavey Vypyr VIP 1. Sanpera 1 and 2 pedalboards are here, even the little VIP 1 can use one.

Next step is figuring out the best 2 small amps for a stereo rig. Then I will rule ALL the swirly-whirly!!!! Cheers, Kuru

There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Re: What all chorus 'n' modulation pedals d'ya got? [Re: KuruPrionz] #3027637 02/05/20 02:11 PM
W
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
W
Let's see -

Keeley Seafoam Chorus V1 on both of my main pedalboards. I use it as more of a thickener than a Modulation effect.

Keeley Bubbletron in my 21st Century Pedalboard, for Flanger, Phaser & Filter effects. I have the Bubbletron set to respond to playing dynamics to trigger the Flanger or Phaser, so there isn't a constant LFO sound.

Big Briar Moogerfooger 12-Stage Phaser. One of the first hundred made, back when the late Bob Moog couldn't use his own name for his own company.

Cruzer by Crafter Analog Chorus. This is a fun one. It may be the same box as the Modtone Analog Chorus? A combo present from my wife, along with a little Cruzer by Crafter Analog Delay, which isn't really Analog.

Most of my other pedals are either Delays, Distortions or Noise Toys (Ring Mods, Bit Crushers, Glitch Boxes). The majority of my effects live in my FX Rack (Lexicon JamMan, Lexicon Vortex, Lexicon MPX100, Alesis Quadraverb+, Digitech Studio 5000 & Digitech RDS 1900) or in my Pedalboard-style MFX (GT-3, GT-10, ME-25, GT-1).

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com
Re: What all chorus 'n' modulation pedals d'ya got? [Re: desertbluesman] #3027654 02/05/20 03:25 PM
Larryz Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Originally Posted by desertbluesman
I use only a reverb pedal with my overdrive pedal. No chorus and no modulation pedals anymore. I used to have all of those things back in the day, but slowly I began to want a more standard sound from my amp/guitars, with a little touch of 'verb.

+1 DBM, I no longer use chorus and modulation pedals. I have both in my multi-effects pedal which has been sitting in the closet for quite some time. Any pedal that gets the sound you're after and brings joy to the user, is worth having on the board. The music I like to play needs no effects other than a little verb. cool

Take care, Larryz
Re: What all chorus 'n' modulation pedals d'ya got? [Re: Caevan O'Shite] #3027661 02/05/20 04:09 PM
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I also have a Big Joe phaser. The main thing I like about this is the blend knob, so I can have as much or as little of the effect in there as I want. Sometimes just a little of it is enough to make a lead section stand out without resorting to using a boost or extra gain stage. Or you can go full out Van Halen.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)
NEW band Old band
Re: What all chorus 'n' modulation pedals d'ya got? [Re: Caevan O'Shite] #3027790 02/06/20 04:48 AM
D
Dannyalcatraz Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
D
Hi there, I’m a pedal addict, and I don’t necessarily know what pedals I have or how they should be classified. Confession over; here’s what I can recall off the top of my head:

Boss RT-20
EHX B9
EHX C9
EHX Epitome
Visual Sound H2O V2
Truetone H2O V3
Keeley Jimi Hazel Echophase
Keeley Dark Side of the Moon
Keeley Bubbletron
Keeley Phase 24
McCafferey Run Rabbit Run
TWA Little Dipper MkII
TWA Triskelion
Catalinbread Zero Point
Catalinbread Callisto
Pigtronix Mother Ship
Line 6 ToneCore Space Chorus
Subdecay Starlight Flanger MkII
Digitech iPB-10
DigiTech Dirty Robot
Korg Px4
Korg Px5

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap”

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/
Re: What all chorus 'n' modulation pedals d'ya got? [Re: Caevan O'Shite] #3027864 02/06/20 09:22 PM
DinoMike Offline
On my board is:

Boss CE5
T.C. E 3rd Dimension
T.C. E Thunderstorm
Ibanez DE7
Ibanez CF7
Danelectro Cool Cat Vibe

Re: What all chorus 'n' modulation pedals d'ya got? [Re: Caevan O'Shite] #3027881 02/06/20 11:49 PM
D
Delta Offline
D
On my board now:

MXR Flanger
Danelectro Chili Dog Octave
Danelectro Chicken Salad Vibrato
Electro Harmonix Pulsar Tremolo
Boss DD-5 Delay

"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix
Re: What all chorus 'n' modulation pedals d'ya got? [Re: Winston Psmith] #3027903 02/07/20 01:48 AM
Dave Bryce Offline
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
Originally Posted by Winston Psmith
Big Briar Moogerfooger 12-Stage Phaser. One of the first hundred made, back when the late Bob Moog couldn't use his own name for his own company.

I have one of those, too. The fact that it has STUN and KILL settings made buying it a no-brainer. :rocker;

dB

Re: What all chorus 'n' modulation pedals d'ya got? [Re: Dave Bryce] #3028584 02/12/20 03:34 AM
20k Club
OP Offline
20k Club
Originally Posted by Dave Bryce
Originally Posted by Winston Psmith

I have one of those, too. The fact that it has STUN and KILL settings made buying it a no-brainer. :rocker;

dB

You'd probably appreciate this, then:

[Linked Image from reverb-res.cloudinary.com]

Re: What all chorus 'n' modulation pedals d'ya got? [Re: Caevan O'Shite] #3028601 02/12/20 10:06 AM
D
Dannyalcatraz Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
D
Yes!

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap”

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/
Re: What all chorus 'n' modulation pedals d'ya got? [Re: Caevan O'Shite] #3028955 02/14/20 03:05 AM
Dave Bryce Offline
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
Now that's what I'm talking about... like

dB