Print Thread
Modulating Resonance #3027483 02/04/20 02:03 PM
Markyboard Offline OP
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Wondering if anyone finds this useful. I have this capability on a couple of hardware synths but always found filter resonance to be a “dial it in” parameter.

Re: Modulating Resonance [Re: Markyboard] #3027558 02/04/20 10:21 PM
KuruPrionz Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
Just tossing in my 2 cents.

Seems to me that a slow modulation time, a small difference in the chosen resonant frequencies and a low level of resonance in the mix of the sound might be good and keep the sound "interesting."

Sometimes a little makes a big difference.

There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Re: Modulating Resonance [Re: KuruPrionz] #3027591 02/05/20 02:04 AM
Markyboard Offline OP
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
That’s a good point Kuru. In experimenting I’m often looking for something earth shattering. But certainly for mixing that’s worthy of consideration. Thanks!

Re: Modulating Resonance [Re: Markyboard] #3027620 02/05/20 05:45 AM
KuruPrionz Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
Originally Posted by Markyboard
That’s a good point Kuru. In experimenting I’m often looking for something earth shattering. But certainly for mixing that’s worthy of consideration. Thanks!

I get it, I always want to know the limits of whatever it is I am experimenting with at the moment. I've created some weird-ass shite goofing around.

I've also started running multiple duplicate tracks in the DAW with one having zero plugins and others having various modualtions, ambience, pitch shifting etc.
I automate those, often just a hint of something shifts the sound in an interesting way.

My goal is to make recordings that don't "flatline", I don't like that. Simple is one of the hardest things I've ever worked on but I am learning and I like the results.

There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Re: Modulating Resonance [Re: Markyboard] #3027673 02/05/20 05:55 PM
T
The Real MC Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
T
The original Minimoog (and reissue) had a "fault" in that the resonance decreases at the low end of cutoff frequency. Spike the cutoff with the EG with moderate resonance, and the bass gets beefier as the EG decays to zero - that's the well-loved "minimoog bass sound". The later Moogs "fixed" this fault, and is why Moog engineers were scratching their heads when customers kept complaining that they couldn't get that "minimoog bass sound" on newer synths. Imperfections can be a good thing...

I can recreate this "fault" with Andromeda and Voyager, both of them offer modulation of resonance. Resonance modulation can be useful with key velocity on percussive patches. In fact I have a guitar patch on my Voyager that goes between muted and wide open picking using modulation of resonance from key velocity.

Re: Modulating Resonance [Re: The Real MC] #3027740 02/05/20 10:51 PM
Markyboard Offline OP
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
I remember mapping resonance to velocity and not finding it all that interesting compared to filter frequency. But I also don’t recall that I included the filter envelope in the equation so definitely worth a re-look. I also never attempted to duplicate the mini “fault” with either A6 or Voyager. However this is the first time I believe reading the “fault” is lower resonance at lower cutoff setting as opposed to decreased bass response at higher resonance. I mean I can certainly picture what that looks like on a scope as you sweep the cutoff. I just never actually looked at it...yet.

Thanks for the response Michael.

Moderated by  dr walker