Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2019-2020, 100th Season Thread

I'm so jazzed for tomorrow's game!

People here and in Missouri I've heard / chatted with seem to concede:

1) overall, my Niners have the better team, except,

2) clearly, KC has the best player on the turf in Mahomes

Where does that end up? Like everyone else seems to be saying, it's impossible to strongly favor either team, and the betting line reflects that.

This could end up a nail-biter. Go Niners!!!

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A reminder: Last year at the end of three quarters the score was 3-0. Whatever we get, it won't be that.
You're probably right ... but what odds will you give me that the score is exactly that at the start of the 4th quarter? (Some people will bet on anything.) :rolleyes:

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I'm so jazzed for tomorrow's game!

People here and in Missouri I've heard / chatted with seem to concede:

1) overall, my Niners have the better team, except,

2) clearly, KC has the best player on the turf in Mahomes

Where does that end up? Like everyone else seems to be saying, it's impossible to strongly favor either team, and the betting line reflects that.

This could end up a nail-biter. Go Niners!!!

The people I have spoken to feel the same way about this. I like both teams, but am rooting for the Chiefs. It's really difficult to determine which way this game is gonna go, but I have a feeling it's going to be a fun game. We are having some friends over tomorrow, and, my biggest concern at this point is that YouTube TV doesn't freeze. :D

With the Chiefs, you have a team that "spotted" the Texans 24 points...and then blew 'em out. You just really never know. The only thing we do know is that this is probably gonna be a whole lotta fun.

Congrats to the Chiefs for yet another comeback win!

I'm happy for Andy Reid: he finally got his Super Bowl win. I'm also happy for our Kansas City fans. Fifty years is a long time to wait.

My condolences to our 49ers fans. San Francisco played a solid gameâeven a dominating one at points.

The NFL ends its 100th season with a championship victory for a former AFL team.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

That was a great game, IMNSHO. I had no dog in that hunt, but it was hard fought and interesting until almost the very end. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Niners were up 20-10 at one point, then Chiefs scored 21 unanswered points. I guess the better team won.

Scary thought: Mahomes will only get better.

But maybe the 49ers will too. :D

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Including the postseason, Andy Reid got his career coaching win 222 on 2/2/2020.

So that's the secret behind Big Red's win.

First full NFL game I've watched in years, and an entertaining one. Looked like the Niners were going to eventually put the game away just handing off the ball over and over. Didn't realize the Chiefs actually have a fullback - thought that position was obsolete in today's obsession w/ passing - until that exclamation point rushing TD.

Those girls have some serious cardio. J Lo is 50. Shakira is in her forties. Impressive.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

There were more interceptions than I thought there would be. Late in the 4th quarter, Jimmy G kept trying to throw the ball when he was tied up and being tackled. He's very fortunate a couple of those throws didn't result in a Pick 6. When San Fran was up by t0 and intercepted a Mahome pass, they stared celebrating in the End Zone. Their celebration was premature. They did a 3 and out and KC came back and scored 3 TD's in 5 minutes.

KC is a scoring machine. Mahomes is a very SPECIAL Player. Despite 2 picks, he was able to come back and win the game. This was a great football game.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

So much effort put in. So much crammed into 12 minutes.

8 minutes to set up. 13 minutes for the show. 6 minutes to tear down. And don't dare f up the playing field

Love it or hate it, takes an army of people to pull it off, nothing like this happens anywhere else

:nopity:

Obligatory halftime bitch:

So much effort put in. So much crammed into 12 minutes. Soooo many transitions. So hard on my ears. It sounded like they threw 50 songs into a blender and chopped them up into 2 bar phrases and then randomly reassembled them.

Although I loved the show I think that's fair. There was no reason to throw Led Zeppelin and Bruce Springsteen into the mix. These ladies have enough hit power on their own - and then some. Same thing with the Cardi B reference (I Like It). There were better ways to incorporate Bad Bunny into the show - as demonstrated by the J Balvin segment.

Kids in cages was timely and OK - especially since it introduced J Lo's daughter (something I didn't know until afterwards).

It was billed as Jennifer Lopez and Shakira, but it really should have been the other way round. I was happy that the show itself was pretty much equal billing.

For once I could enjoy a little eye candy and not feel like a dirty old man :laugh: These ladies really brought it!

I think these stats are worth a look:

In the NFC Championship game in which the 49ers beat the Packers 37-20, San Francisco made 42 rushing attempts and 8 passing attempts.

In the Super Bowl in which the 49ers lost to the Chiefs 31-20, San Francisco made 22 rushing attempts and 31 passing attempts.

The 49ers had almost as much success with the run against the Chiefs (yards per rush: 6.4) as they did with the Packers (yards per rush: 6.8), and yet they cut their rushing attempts in half and more than tripled their passing attempts compared to the previous game. It makes no sense to me, especially considering that Kansas City's rushing defense ranked 25th in the NFLâjust a notch above Green Bay's.

When the other team has an elite quarterback like Patrick Mahomes, the usual strategy is to eat up the clock and try to keep him off the fieldâespecially when your opponent can't stop the run. That's what the 49ers did when facing Aaron Rodgers. Why didn't they do the same in the Super Bowl?

Obviously no one is hiring me to coach an NFL team. I'm sure that Kyle Shanahan knows a lot more than I do about this subject, but it's a mystery to me as to why the 49ers chose to feature the pass in the Super Bowl.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

One difference in SF's stats between the NFC championship game and Super Bowl is that Mostert averaged 7.6 yards per carry against the Packers, but only 4.8 against the Chiefs. This does not surface in the team stats because Mostert had so few rushes in the Super Bowl that the 3 carries by wide receiver Samuel caused SF's average yards per rush in the Super Bowl to raise up to 6.4 yards per carry. But this masked the fact that the running game supplied by the 49ers running backs was not nearly as effective against the Chiefs as it had been against the Packers.

I believe the 49ers offense did not adapt and adjust as well as they needed, to what the Chiefs defense was throwing at them. In the last few possessions by the 49ers, the Chiefs stopped them, and the 49ers offense did not offer complications to make things more difficult for the Chiefs' defense.

In some ways, this is an unfair comparison, in that the multiple dimensions of Mahomes created complications for the 49ers defense, and could do so without any genius coaching moves from the Chiefs. Mahomes really impressed me this year, in that he seemed to rely more on his thinking about what each game situation needed, and not just his pure athleticism.

I think these stats are worth a look:

In the NFC Championship game in which the 49ers beat the Packers 37-20, San Francisco made 42 rushing attempts and 8 passing attempts.

In the Super Bowl in which the 49ers lost to the Chiefs 31-20, San Francisco made 22 rushing attempts and 31 passing attempts.

The 49ers had almost as much success with the run against the Chiefs (yards per rush: 6.4) as they did with the Packers (yards per rush: 6.8), and yet they cut their rushing attempts in half and more than tripled their passing attempts compared to the previous game. It makes no sense to me, especially considering that Kansas City's rushing defense ranked 25th in the NFLâjust a notch above Green Bay's.

When the other team has an elite quarterback like Patrick Mahomes, the usual strategy is to eat up the clock and try to keep him off the fieldâespecially when your opponent can't stop the run. That's what the 49ers did when facing Aaron Rodgers. Why didn't they do the same in the Super Bowl?

Obviously no one is hiring me to coach an NFL team. I'm sure that Kyle Shanahan knows a lot more than I do about this subject, but it's a mystery to me as to why the 49ers chose to feature the pass in the Super Bowl.

Best,

Geoff

I wondered the same thing - why the 49ers ran so few running plays when they were leading 20-10 in the 4th quarter and the Chiefs seemed incapable of stopping the run even with the D selling out to stop it.. ESPN's Barnwell did a play by play analysis here:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28624233/barnwell-super-bowl-liv-andy-reid-masterpiece-how-chiefs-came-back-49ers-blew-it

I give him credit for his effort to figure out why so few running plays were called, but in the end some mysteries will remain so.