Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pedal Pushers

p90jr

I know we've had some running pedal threads in the past but instead of resurrecting them I'll start a new one... hope that's not annoying.

I'm embarrassed to say I have a cabinet full of pedals I've gotten in over the past year that I haven't even opened (hope my wife doesn't find them and add them to one of her garage sales).

But one I did buy recently that has struck my fancy and I've tried to steal a few minutes every day to fiddle with over the past week is the new mini version of the Nobles Overdrive. I noticed all the studio guitarists in Nashville and L.A. raving about it a few years ago and I thought it was strange that I had not heard of it... it's a German company. They're not expensive as pedals go, but I put off getting one because - and this is silly - I didn't like how it looked, really... it reminded me of some pedals from the 80s I broke easily or something. The new mini version of the ODR-1 actually got a few raves about the improvement of the enclosure and switch, and it's even cheaper, so I got one.

It sounds really good... I never liked the sound of Tube Screamers, personally, always preferring the Boss OD in the old days, instead. It reminds me of one of the old OD-1s that I still have, but is also a little different from that...

So far I've only played a Tele and Strat through it into a Vox AC4 set clean on the 1 watt or 4 watt settings, but it thickens up those single coils nicely and adds some bottom end.

What pedals have you guys added lately?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I have gravitated towards amps with built in effects and am hoping to reduce stuff on the floor, I've stopped adding pedals unless they are irresistable.

Plus I recently had an opprotunity to swap +$ for a Focusrite ISA One preamp I wanted for my home studio so there went a Boss DD-5 and a Digitech Luxe.

I will miss the Luxe, the detuning sound is lush and 3D but it doesn't sound like a chorus. It's not modulation in the traditional sense of the word, it is the natural modulation that occurs when two notes are very close to being in tune but not quite.

Recently I found a Dunlop Cry Baby Bass Wah at Value Village for $6 or so including my 20% discount. It is in great condition and works perfectly. I like it, my Tech 21 Killer Wail is currently on the fritz so this is a nice addition for those times when one wants to get all "wah" on the world.

I have a TC Electronics Flashback X4 and despite the hate for TC I've had no problems with it. I loaded a nice chorus with the Tone Print online, created a different one and saved it and then the usual delay with tap tempo. So it's big but has 3 different sounds. I will keep it even though I mostly use the effects in my Boss Katana 100 Combo.

I also have a Tech 21 Tri-AC that is great for studio stuff. The Tweed channel is great for bass guitar and the Mesa channel will deliver all the shred or sing anybody could ever want. Plus it is designed to be super fast to adjust and save on the fly so you could tweak the mids and save the patch in seconds on the fly. I have done that, it's quick. I like that.

I am not a fan of the Tube Screamer either, it just doesn't sound good to me.

Have fun with your new toy!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I don't really use pedals anymore (at least for now). My latest addition that I am using is a Boss Compressor 1X. I use it for a clean boost with very little compression and it really does a great job. Silent switch and big enough to turn on/off easily. Very clean and it can really bring up the volume. I just need a slight volume boost for lead and then back to my clean guitar settings without having to move any knobs...I'm a happy camper even though it does a lot more than I would ever need to learn about LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I"m also running a pedal storage warehouse. Not stopping me, but...

Interesting about the Nobels. I"ve been looking at TrueTone"s VS-XO dual OD, the revised version of VisualSound"s Double Trouble. Where the DT has a pair of TS circuits under the hood, the VS-XO replaces one TS with a Nobels.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Been a while since I'd gotten any pedals, but among the most recent (that being within the past year) -

Malekko Scrutator Bit Crusher/Sample Rate Reducer

Malekko Charlie Foxtrot Granular Delay

Malekko 616 Analog Delay

Catalinbread Bicycle Delay

Walrus Warhorn OD

Keeley Seafoam Chorus V1

There were a few others, as completing the 21st Century Pedalboard was one of my main projects last year. Now that it's done, I haven't been looking at pedals so much. The EQD Data Corrupter is still on my "wanted" list, but that's really all.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Actually, I binged on pedals 2017-2018, but nothing in 2019. I called it my 'Year of the Pedal', despite it being more like 18 months. Bought silly amounts of 'em.

Bought several from Magnetic Effects, ARC Effects, and ThorpyFX. All tasty.

And because I"m a fuzz junkie, I also got a Sasori from SolidGoldFX, a Fuzzhugger FX Doom Bloom, and a Wren & Cuff White Elk Smallfoot, to name a few.

I MAY have a problem. (But if I do, I don"t care,)

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Last pedal I bought was a Pigtronix Mothership II synth. I still haven't found a real practical use for it, so it's not on the board but is in the bass board's gig bag. Every now and then I plug it in at band rehearsal to ad weird rising synth glissando on the last note, if the other guys are being bad.

As I'm not playing guitar as much, I can't entirely justify it; but I'm tempted to get a Beetronix Royal Jelly fuzz/OD. It could probably replace two pedals (Keeley Fuzz Head and Tech 21 Comptortion, maybe).

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Last pedal I bought was a Pigtronix Mothership II synth. I still haven't found a real practical use for it, so it's not on the board but is in the bass board's gig bag. Every now and then I plug it in at band rehearsal to ad weird rising synth glissando on the last note, if the other guys are being bad.

As I'm not playing guitar as much, I can't entirely justify it; but I'm tempted to get a Beetronix Royal Jelly fuzz/OD. It could probably replace two pedals (Keeley Fuzz Head and Tech 21 Comptortion, maybe).

I bought a Mothership II on sale a while ago and haven't really messed with it that much... then a few months ago I got a Pigtronix Resotron Filter (another synth thing) on a serious sale deal o' the day thing... haven't messed with it much, either... I have a bandmate/neighbor who is a synth junkie who was excited to notice those boxes in my studio so when we get some free time we'll dive into them...

And because I"m a fuzz junkie, I also got a Sasori from SolidGoldFX, a Fuzzhugger FX Doom Bloom, and a Wren & Cuff White Elk Smallfoot, to name a few.

I MAY have a problem. (But if I do, I don"t care,)

I like fuzz, but I rarely have the song to use it in...

I have one of the 1980-ish Mig Muffs that Billy Corgan hoards... bought it for $10 from a guy I was buying a Boss OD-1 from for $15 back in 1990 or so, right before they became a craze, again... "I got this fuzz pedal but it sucks, you can't use it for anything..." It was still in the plywood box. Heavy gigging with it started to wear it out... I was playing in noise/punk/post-punk/etc. bands back then and I used it, maxed out, as a Sonic Youth/MBV-ish noise-boost annihilator effect... it seriously sent the gain and volume to the roof and startled people. Friends started buying them but none of them behaved the way mine did, and whatever circuit they used that year (which people hated at the time) was the reason... since Corgan figured out which model it was and started seeking them out they've re-issued them as his signature pedal... I think?

A buddy in New Orleans makes pedals as Octophonics (in Octagonal housings) and his Crustache pedal is a fuzzface type pedal, but knowing how I used the Big Muff he made one for me with dual heavy output somethings or others (I forget) and it's a blast, literally! It can be tamed, too, for tasteful fuzz. I use a Demeter Fuzzulator, which is a milder fuzz, a bit when I need that...

I just got the new Electro Harmonix Big Muff Ramshead version fuzz pedal. I was trying it out last night, with my Carvin CS6T guitar and my Epiphone Electar 10 watt tube amp. I'm still going to have to do a lot of tweaking and experimenting, but I think I may have finally found the guitar sound that I've been searching for since I first started to play forty years ago. Right now, I have the gain knob on my amp set at 1 1/2, because at 5, with the volume knob on the pedal turned up, it's a sonic blast of distortion. With the sustain knob turned all the way up, I can hit a twelfth fret harmonic and just let the guitar hang there as the note rings out for about half a minute. Maybe tonight I'll add the BBE Sonic Maximizer and hear what that sounds like. I have to admit, it's a lot more fun playing an electric guitar when you can get it to sound the way you wish it would, instead of settling for a good enough sound.
I rock; therefore, I am.