Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Great Game Last Night But Awful Commercials

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The older I get, the less "regular" tv I watch...so my tolerance has gone way down for any kind of commercial. Granted I only watched the 4th quarter so there wasn't all that much to sit though, I just tuned out and used my laptop during commercials.

Now, if I had gotten wind the new Dune trailer might have dropped, I might have stay tuned in a bit more :) Might be the one (ok, Tenet also) movie I see in theaters this year.

Taken as a whole the commercials didn"t impress, but a few stood out to me. Bill and Brian Doyle Murray reliving Groundhog Day in a Jeep was one for me. And the ad depicting an elderly man, seemingly a widower, using Google as a memory tool (Alzheimer"s?) to relive life with Loretta was powerful. Maybe a couple others.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

Unlike last year, this time aroung the game and halftime show were so exciting that I really didn't pay much attention to the commercials. The Google spot did catch my attention though - for personal reasons (my wife Loretta passed way before her time 16 years ago).

I thought it was kind of creepy, and didn't accurately portray how dementia and Alzheimer's works. I dealt with both with my mom and stepdad. Those are not the kinds of things that they needed help remembering.

Sometimes the game is boring but not in this case. What's terrible is they paid millions for the TV spots. These were the worst commercials I think I have ever seen.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

My favorites were the Ground Hog Day recreation. Lots of little funny bits.... BIll playing Whack-a-Mole and saying "it's not personal" and then Ned Ryerson showed up..."Phillll?..."

The Cah Pahking

and I enjoyed the silliness of the nostalgic Cheetos Popcorn ad with MC Hammer.

I know I'm one of those odd ones who actually tune in to watch the game. I made it about 1 minute into half time show before turning away.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

The Google spot did catch my attention though - for personal reasons (my wife Loretta passed way before her time 16 years ago).

I thought it was kind of creepy, and didn't accurately portray how dementia and Alzheimer's works. I dealt with both with my mom and stepdad. Those are not the kinds of things that they needed help remembering.

It was upsetting to me. My wife died 6 months ago. My mother had dementia/Alzheimer's. In neither case would Google be helpful in remembering. The ad was some idealized, sentimental crap that wouldn't work in real life. Way to manipulate people's emotions, Google. Now go feck yourself.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

My favorites were the Ground Hog Day recreation. Lots of little funny bits.... BIll playing Whack-a-Mole and saying "it's not personal" and then Ned Ryerson showed up..."Phillll?..."

The Cah Pahking

and I enjoyed the silliness of the nostalgic Cheetos Popcorn ad with MC Hammer.

completely agree with all of this

I made it about 1 minute into half time show before turning away.

After 1 minute into the halftime show, I realized I need to work out more. :laugh:

I enjoyed the Walmart commercial with its sci fi references. Any commercial that combines Mars Attacks, Blade Runner, and The Arrival is OK by me.

this was my favorite commercial

:nopity:

The Google spot did catch my attention though - for personal reasons (my wife Loretta passed way before her time 16 years ago).

It was upsetting to me. My wife died 6 months ago. My mother had dementia/Alzheimer's. In neither case would Google be helpful in remembering. The ad was some idealized, sentimental crap that wouldn't work in real life. Way to manipulate people's emotions, Google. Now go feck yourself.

Bill, I"m sorry for your loss. El Lobo, sorry for yours as well. The commercial had a different reaction for me. I lost my Mom recently. Her last few years she had lost her memory significantly, and loved when we"d share pictures and stories from her past which would, at least in that moment, bring her brief joy. A short time later she would forget it all again, but she would always delight in the joy of that moment.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

Bill, I"m sorry for your loss. El Lobo, sorry for yours as well.

Thank you, and El Lobo my heart goes out to you. My first two years were really hard, but gradually things improved - although it was hard to see at the time. My hope is that you have a similar journey.

I might get flack for saying this but my take on many of the 'bad' commercials was due to the target audience...........Millenials.........the style of humor required a certain context lost on many older people.

The CAH PAHking was overdone and I didn"t get the relevance of the three actors. Maybe someone can describe how that accent is unique to having that car?

The Mamoa stripping off his muscles and hair was the one that stands out as OK.

'

My daughter and son in law are millennials most of the commercials fell flat with them too.

The humor just reminded me of how it was said that How I Met Your Mother was supposed to be the Millenial"s Friends. What I saw of it was humorless...........just crankIng up the laugh track after a 'joke".

it was said that How I Met Your Mother was supposed to be the Millenial"s Friends.

Wow.

I've never been so insulted as a millenial. Nevermind the avocado toast and the talk of a summer job paying off a university degree without loans... THIS TAKES THE CAKE.

I guess at least you didn't say Big Bang Theory. (which is also a Chuck Lorre show, see the pattern?)

I'm kidding, of course, but both those shows are terrible and are generally only liked by the 55+ crowd.

I guess at least you didn't say Big Bang Theory. (which is also a Chuck Lorre show, see the pattern?)

AFAIK, Chuck Lorre had nothing to do with HIMYM.

The CAH PAHking was overdone and I didn"t get the relevance of the three actors. Maybe someone can describe how that accent is unique to having that car?

They're all from the Boston area. The old joke is that if you want to do a Boston accent, you say, "pahk the cah in Haavahd Yahd" and then whatever you're trying to say.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I thought the Rocket Mortgage ad with Jason Mamoa removing his muscles was hilarious.

I could not have cared less that it was for Rocket Mortgage. What I did like was how Jason Mamoa made fun of himself.

I like him more for that.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

They're all from the Boston area. The old joke is that if you want to do a Boston accent, you say, "pahk the cah in Haavahd Yahd" and then whatever you're trying to say.

I'm from the Boston area, and I was surprised to hear that those actors all are as well. Those accents were the worst. Seriously. I guess part of the gag must have been: do it in a bad, over the top Boston accent.

If so, I still don't see why they didn't get Matt Damon or someone and use the real thing. :idk:

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I"m a Brit who used to like to watch Am Football, but we used to get a match highlights.

Just how a one hour match can last for three hours is beyond me.

I usually record it as it is on far to late for this old guy and then I can fast forward the ads which we actually do not see, we see some guys rabbeting on in a studio to fill in the times of your commercial breaks.

There is so much fast forwarding I swear I go through a pack of AA"s.

Has anyone ever timed just how much actual movement takes place during a 60 minute game, my guess is less than 10 minutes.

Great result though

Col

I thought the Rocket Mortgage ad with Jason Mamoa removing his muscles was hilarious.

I could not have cared less that it was for Rocket Mortgage. What I did like was how Jason Mamoa made fun of himself.

I like him more for that.

That is a strong point. I wonder how many people noticed and remembered it was a commercial for Rocket Mortgage, this on their own without the benefit of it being discussed afterwards? I could not have said what was being advertised. Although it was funny/interesting it is not good if the product is unnoticed or is forgotten. Sometimes mere repetition in a boring presentation ends up being the successful ad like when Verizon debuted. I don't recall the program I was watching but by the time it ended I would recognize the name Verizon even though the ads did not describe what Verizon was (the objective was name recognition).

The person on the Jeep creative team who realized the game would be ON Groundhog Day and thought of the Bill Murray spot? Genius.

The only commercial that made me want the product immediately? 'No Time To Die'. I love Bond movies and the spot didn"t disappoint.

The multiple Tide spots were very well executed across the game.

Least effective spot? Mt Dew 'The Shining'. If you consider the average age of a Mt Dew consumer, how many would know 'The Shining' shot for shot? The film was released 40 years ago.

I'm from the Boston area, and I was surprised to hear that those actors all are as well. Those accents were the worst. Seriously. I guess part of the gag must have been: do it in a bad, over the top Boston accent.

If so, I still don't see why they didn't get Matt Damon or someone and use the real thing. :idk:

That is weird. Some actors go to linguistic schools to flatten the accents. I know a newscaster locally from Queens that did that., It's a shame as that is what makes those actors/newscasters special.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com