Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

iPad app to send select Nord Electro programs?

Hello folks,

Thank you for your useful responses in my previous thread about a Nord Electro-like MIDI controller for connecting to an iPad.

I'm still on the look-out for just the right controller, however in the meantime, I'd like to improve the efficiency of my current setup.

I create separate programs (memories) on my Electro 3 for each song I play with the band. My NE3 has 64 programs slots, each with an "A" and "B" bank for a total of 128 memories.

On the rare occasions when we play a gig, I'll write down the setlist with the corresponding memory number and bank (e.g. "Soul Dressing: 34A"), and stick this notepaper to the left side of my Nord.

Sometimes it's necessary to change patches quickly in between songs (for medleys etc.) so I'll rearrange the memories so that they are ordered sequentially. This means that I've pretty-much exhausted all of the memory slots, but there is quite a lot of repetition.

I still have most of the setlist notes from dating back a few years, so thought it was about time that I collated all of the memories into a digital form, and found a more efficient way to manage the songs and memories.

The Electro3 allows memories to be selected via a simple MIDI program change command. I have an iPad and a Quiccosound mi.1 Bluetooth MIDI adapter, so it should be possible to use the iPad to manage setlists, using an app to send the program change command to the Electro.

I am aware of the Set List Maker app, and am reading good things about Camelot - the latter might be the best option, especially if/when I transition to using VIs on the iPad.

Any thoughts or other recommendations?

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

iMidiPatchbay has an interface that was basically modeled after the Nord Stage. I don't remember whether they have a demo version.

Keystage is very capable and has a free demo.

Camelot has a free demo for their Mac and Windows versions, which could give you an idea about how it works before paying for the iOS version (which is not available as a demo).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

@Ulf I use Set List Maker (actually its big brother BandHelper) in my rig. It's not a host for virtual instruments, or a MIDI router/filter/processor, but it is focused on managing the songs and gigs in your musical life. So every song (with cribs/notes, and other metadata such as key, artist, tempo etc.) is stored in there, and songs can be sequenced into sets and gigs. It can also send MIDI program change to your MIDI equipment (which I use extensively) whenever you move to the next song.

Plenty of other capabilities such as playing a backing track, video,click, PDF display. lyrics display, sync with other devices, co-ordinate song durations and break times, etc.

Cheers, Mike.

I've been using Set List Maker for six years, for all of my jobs including one-offs and subs. A number of colleagues have also turned to it over the years.

I've limited it to showing sheets/chords, changing patches, and occasionally showing a visual metronome by flashing the song title, though. Nothing fancy.

Used to have one of the databases synced with a colleague whom I was sharing a seat with in a cover band. Worked, but changes would automatically sync, and we couldn't see a way to cleverly select, so sheets would change for the other as we updated/annotated them, and discovering this in the middle of a set was ungood. So we turned sync off.

Only thing I wish for is native Pencil support for annotations. It works, but its implementation obviously isn't Apple's in terms of latency and resolution. But it's okay for annotating charts.

In contrast, I use Apple's implementation to actually write a lot of charts â with the Pencil, on a scanned PDF of staff paper, directly in the Files app.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Another Setlistmaker (Bandhelper) user here. The app is IMHO terrific, very flexible and has everything one may need. It sends program changes on 16 midi channels simultaneously, it can even send control messages to devices and activate/deactivate certain functions. One can even create multiple midi presets for different song parts within the same song and switch between those presets either with a bluetooth pedal, or by using certain swipes on the screen. In short: it is a mature, well written app and I couldn't imagine to select the sounds I need on stage without it. Arlo who created the app is also very helpful and responds in a short time when one needs help or an explanation.

One can even create multiple midi presets for different song parts within the same song and switch between those presets either with a bluetooth pedal, or by using certain swipes on the screen.

Yes! I've built different screen layouts for different projects, and most have multiple patch buttons along the bottom of the screen for switching programs (I don't use a Bluetooth pedal).

In short: it is a mature, well written app and I couldn't imagine to select the sounds I need on stage without it. Arlo who created the app is also very helpful and responds in a short time when one needs help or an explanation.

Emphasis here. Arlo is *really* responsive and open to suggestions, and quick to suggest workarounds when you encounter a snag in your workflow. This has been echoed by people I've turned onto the app, as well.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio