Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Andy Gill

Shocked and saddened to hear of Andy Gill's untimely passing at 64. I interviewed him when Gang Of Four Official appeared at The Chapel just last February.

'I"ve always approached Gang of Four"s music fundamentally the same,' he told me when I interviewed him on the stage after soundcheck. 'It"s just the guitar, bass, drums, and vocals sitting next to each other and working with each other in a kind of matrix, rather than layering parts on top of each other. We lock into each other and the rhythm is carefully thought out so that it"s funky and exciting. Sometimes, I worry if even that is simple enough. I mean, when you hear a Muddy Waters' record, and he"s in a room tapping his foot on the floor and you hear him kicking his guitar and you hear his voiceâTHAT is thrilling. That is my touchstone. If I"m layering stuff, I"m going wrong.'

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my biggest influences (more on bass than guitar as my guitar work is mostly acoustic).

Without Gang of Four, would there have been Talking Heads or Red Hot Chili Peppers?

I could kick myself for skipping their San Francisco show last year, just because I couldn't get anyone to go with me, so I figured "next time".

I did luckily see them with Sara Lee on bass and the awesome Bongos opening for them, back in the 80's. Crazy energy!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager