Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Old Video

Dug up an old VHS. Funny thing is that it's still labelled in handwritten pen "Bon Jovi" and I think it was originally a bootleg of a Bon Jovi concert by our guitar player. He put up one of those huge VHS camcorders in the back of the room and recorded over Bon Jovi to capture us on a cover gig. The room was all brick and masonry and the camera was behind the audience so you can hear the conversations louder than the band. Still, it's just GOLD to ME. I think it must have been around 29 years ago. Quality is awful. Fun seeing a band member's girlfriend dancing, and at the same time see a girl dancing that he that night had not yet met, but ended up meeting and marrying and is still with today with kids. High school friends flooding the dance floor - oh to be back in the days when all your friends thought it was cool that you had gigs and would all show up to every single one!!!! Also fun is that some of the songs we were playing seem like staples now, but were actually BRAND NEW when we were playing them on the video. A couple never took off and it's funny to hear us playing them.

I've always been surprised when even 8mm film shows up of some famous artists of the 60s and 70s and I'm thinking "who in the hell shoots 8mm of their kids?" We had VHS and didn't shoot shit. Of course everything's on cell phone video now.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's awesome Dan. An unexpected wave of emotions for you probably if you hadn't see that video in 30 years or so.

I just finished transferring all my family's old Hi8 and Digital Hi8 tapes to MPEG. I did it one by one with an Elgato video capture and it took many hours. I unearthed tons of videos of me playing as an 18/19 year old. I was floored at how 20 years later I am both a totally different musician and yet very much the same musician.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

You're so right Dan, stuff like this is priceless. I digitised a bunch of cassettes that I recorded gigs on when I was 17, I still get a lot of joy out of having a listen.

In 2013 our national broadcaster (equivalent of PBS) ran a competition where bands could enter videos of themselves 'back in the day' and now.

:)

Same for me I like listening to the old live recordings. I have been transferring many home movies to digital of our kids when they were small and ran across a vhs 2 hour recording of a 3 piece band I was in from the early 90's. That night 2 balloons was tied to my keyboard stand as it was the week my wife had our twins. Great memories! It was great to see the old gear we would use too. Now I'm working on live cassette recordings from that time period but it is time consuming to transfer them all. I'm hoping to find a few more videos too as I go through them all. I still record most of my gigs today but much easier with a digital mixer, DAW and digital camera.

Funny, I came across some old VHS video (I still have a hi fi Stereo VHS player) from around 1995 that I watched over the Christmas holiday. I still play the same music today that I played 25 years ago. No wonder why I can sleep and play these songs at the same time.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

oh to be back in the days when all your friends thought it was cool that you had gigs and would all show up to every single one!!!!
I wish I had EVER had those days. Of my high school and college friends who got excited to come to my gigs, only four or five weren't already in bands with me...

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Shortly after the Earth cooled I recorded this. 22 years ago I was dragging a Korg X5, a Roland R5, a Stage Guitars (from Arlington, Texas) Jazz Bass, and a VHS-C camcorder with a resolution of squat. More hair, more teeth, more strength, better eyesight, and more talent. The years haven't been kind, but at least now with B3X the organ sounds a helluva lot better........

[video:youtube]

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

When I was 18 I joined an early style progressive rock band and headed to Toronto where we had an alternatively gratifying/harrowing couple of years in that scene before calling it quits and going our separate ways.

A couple of times over the years the lead singer (now an operatic tenor and teacher) has reached out to me - the latest being just last month to say some fan of ours from 1970-72 had posted a few songs online - including a scratchy b&w 8mm video that miraculously survived.

There I am behind my chopped Hammond C (we called it 'the pig') and a beefed-up 122 positioned directly behind my head, we were so loud and the organ so overpowering, I can"t believe I can still hear.

Maybe it was all the hair!

Here for the gear.