Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MPN Gear Chat: Mr. Boddicker's Attic

The one part of the tour I haven't run yet is Michael's control room...but check out the photo of the control room in my first post, and the (only) rack of keyboards in that room in the photo below. Almost everything with keys is a controller.

dB

This is the next stage for me. I still have all my synths set up for "easy playability" and haven't resorted to the vertical wall stacking system. But it is in my future I think... But I am with you on the observation that software is growing and is prominent today at all levels of the game. It is at my place too... But I still like playing keys....

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, besides re-watching the fun that was had showing David Bryce through my historical hysteria, today David brings over surround mix dvd"s of Sgt Pepper"s & Abbey Road to check out the Sol7Post theatrical system. The most fun i"ve had in years! Listening w David is a real treat. His ear for detail, musical insight and pure joy of listening to and reverence for the music are wonderful to experience. Great music and great company. Thanks for sharing the afternoon David. And thanks for introducing me to your forum friends. Spent about an hour looking for Rubber Soul SACD for the next session. Anybody have one?

Thanks for sharing the afternoon David.

What an awesome hang!!!!!

Not only does that room sound insanely good (y'all do not even want to know what's under the hood there - trust me) but the opportunity to sit and experience both of those records - uninterrupted, mind you - on that system with someone with your ears and experience was spectacularly fun.

Amazing how fast the whole world get stripped away when you're able to get caught up in music like that. Still pretty much the quickest and most reliable path to the whole childlike fascination thing for me. So much better when you get to share it. Thank you, Michael! :)

And thanks for introducing me to your forum friends.

A pleasure to have you here, brother!

Spent about an hour looking for Rubber Soul SACD for the next session. Anybody have one?

I think the "Enhanced CD" that they released a few years back is the closest they've come, besides the "Beatles 1+" collection....for now, anyway. :idea:

"Help!" is the one I'm after... :drool:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

It was an awesome afternoon - propelled me into working on Synthplex even harder. Jean-Michel confirmed Tuesday as this years recipient of The Synthplex Golden Ear Award. Worked with him on Patrick Jouvet"s records in the Late 70"s early 80"s and then with his dad who was so proud of him. In fact i often thought that"s why i got Maurice"s gig, because i worked with his son. Can you imagine how off the hook Maurice Jarre"s music realized by Jean-Michel Jarre would be?

Jean-Michel confirmed Tuesday as this years recipient of The Synthplex Golden Ear Award.

Excellent!!!! I got to interview him a few years ago - that was a lot of fun.

Worked with him on Patrick Jouvet"s records in the Late 70"s early 80"s and then with his dad who was so proud of him. In fact i often thought that"s why i got Maurice"s gig, because i worked with his son.

Way too cool, Michael.

Can you imagine how off the hook Maurice Jarre"s music realized by Jean-Michel Jarre would be?

:pop::rocker::keys2:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Michael, how do you keep all your old stuff running?

My Chroma (the pride and joy of my vintage instruments) stopped working 15 years ago when I moved it a few feet in my studio. Can't seem to find anybody to work on these old instruments any more.

If I knew that I would had told you to bring it to Gearfest. If I can bring a Memorymoog back from the dead, I can handle a Chroma.

• 2 months later...
Every time I think about getting an analog console, I end up right where MLB talks about in the video: its all about input, and then straight to converters and digital. I love the intentionality of his live rooms and the thought behind it. You can tell its his eighth room. Pure analog headphone monitoring. The live room isn't big - its RIGHT; the vocal booth plays way above its weight class and does multiple duties, with high ceiling retained. Its a very flexible, modern production space capable of working at the highest levels. And then you hear about the kinds of projects being worked on in the space and realize that the big studios left really are the last dinosaurs roaming the earth. This is not a lot of square feet, but it is totally focused on exactly what matters for anything outside a full orchestral session, which is already handled by others. Great space, great design, great hang, great times. Thanks for sharing.

Everyone of these pieces seems to have a story from a guy that actually used them and knows them inside and out. Anyone with money can collect shit but this is really impressive on a whole other level.

That's my reaction as well. Michael's memory, and deep knowledge of every piece of gear, and how to use them is mind-blowing. I've known him for decades, and brought him a lot of gear to check out over those years, and I am amazed that he just keeps gathering more knowledge and experience, and not forgetting any of the details of the past. I'm not even sure what day of the week it is lately. Continued respect MB!