Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moog Matriarch

• 1 month later...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
Unfortunately like everyone else, he didn't cover the MIDI functionality, like the velocity curve issue.

He won"t - it"s not like he"s going to midi up to another board and test it out. I"m more interested to see what the next rev addresses and here too I doubt Moog will address the velocity curve over midi. I do however think they"ll fix the spurious midi messages that go out. There also seems to be a lot of complaints with regard to the built in delay and quirks with the envelopes. I think this is where Moog will focus there efforts.

I quickly moved past those little anomalies after the novelty wore off. Definitely not for everyone but it"s a fabulous balls to the walls synth for the right person. Nothing"s a show stopper when there"s no show.

• 1 month later...
Unfortunately like everyone else, he didn't cover the MIDI functionality, like the velocity curve issue.

He won"t - it"s not like he"s going to midi up to another board and test it out. I"m more interested to see what the next rev addresses and here too I doubt Moog will address the velocity curve over midi. I do however think they"ll fix the spurious midi messages that go out. There also seems to be a lot of complaints with regard to the built in delay and quirks with the envelopes. I think this is where Moog will focus there efforts.

I quickly moved past those little anomalies after the novelty wore off. Definitely not for everyone but it"s a fabulous balls to the walls synth for the right person. Nothing"s a show stopper when there"s no show.

Perhaps you heard of it by now, but along with the new Dark Matriarch model, Moog released a firmware update. I don't see mention of the MIDI velocity curve on the list of fixes. I have other choices for MIDI velocity controller but thanks to you I look for this issue every time they announce new firmware, lol.

https://back.moogmusic.com/sites/default/files/2020-09/Matriarch_V1.2.0_Firmware_Notes.pdf

• 2 months later...

Registered my new Matriarch and went through the slightly confusing process of installing the v.1.2.3 firmware.

I then plugged my Matriarch USB into my iPad and tested with the Audio Kit Pro Retro Piano and FM Player 2 apps. I was expecting crap velocity response but was pleasantly surprised by the usable velocity response of the apps. This is great for me because I was anticipating having to switch out the Matriarch for another keyboard when I was done with patching around and wanted to practice normal keyboard playing.

I'm glad the velocity curve works satisfactorily for you as a midi controller. I haven't had need for using it as such but it does work well as a CV or midi to CV controller. Who said the minimoog only has low note priority? :idea:

I'm guessing you're using a Mac product for upgrading firmware? With Windows I have to close Midi-Ox and restart it in between sending the 1st and 2nd file to reestablish communication. You may have to do similar with whatever program you're using. That was the head scratcher for me and otherwise works smoothly.

Congrats and enjoy!

I'm glad the velocity curve works satisfactorily for you as a midi controller. I haven't had need for using it as such but it does work well as a CV or midi to CV controller. Who said the minimoog only has low note priority? :idea:

I'm guessing you're using a Mac product for upgrading firmware? With Windows I have to close Midi-Ox and restart it in between sending the 1st and 2nd file to reestablish communication. You may have to do similar with whatever program you're using. That was the head scratcher for me and otherwise works smoothly.

Congrats and enjoy!

Thanks! Yes, my desktop machine is an iMac.

The Moog documentation recommended SysEx Librarian by snoize for installing the firmware. One minor cause of confusion was the docs saying that I would have to tell my SysEx software to reconnect to the Matriarch. Also I thought the flashing red-green Arp Rate LED meant that the Invalidate script was still running, when apparently it means that the Invalidate is done and Erase is ready to send.

I'm glad you talked me into this vs. the KARP, lol.

Ahem...I've never tried to talk anyone into buy anything, unless of course they're buying it for me. :thx:

In fact I much prefer local folks buy stuff I don't already have. In other words Paolo you're not off the hook in purchasing

a 2600 once Korg announces the next round. :gofish:

Ahem...I've never tried to talk anyone into buy anything, unless of course they're buying it for me. :thx:

In fact I much prefer local folks buy stuff I don't already have. In other words Paolo you're not off the hook in purchasing

a 2600 once Korg announces the next round. :gofish:

I'm actually thinking Moog Subharmonicon, along with the Moog Patch and Tweak book for more inspiration after I've got the basics down for standalone Matriarch patching. Very clever of Moog Music to collaborate on this book, to help boost sales.

https://www.moogmusic.com/news/patch-tweak-moog-now-shipping

• 1 year later...

Youtube recommendation strikes again!

I can't believe this happened in practically my back yard.   I never heard of local muso Gabe Churray before, or this brewery for that matter.  I like his playing and creativity in planning a solo set around the Matriarch.  It's mostly real-time playing on the keys, a little bit of sequencer/arp usage.

• 6 months later...

@Markyboard miss ya man!

After what, 3 years of waiting, we finally get velocity curve settings.

https://www.moogmusic.com/news/matriarch-firmware-v130-now-available

Alongside the new firmware, we have also released a new custom application for updating firmware on Matriarch, making updates a seamless process for owners. Download the new Firmware Updater on your account page by logging in to your account here.

MIDI Velocity Curves: This feature allows the user to select a variety of keyboard velocity response curves. There are four options available: base, linear, stretched, and compressed. If you tend to play keys with a harder touch, try switching to linear or stretched to more easily produce softer velocity values. Alternatively, switching to compressed will make it so that higher velocity values are produced with less physical effort.

Pitch Wheel information added to the KB CV Out: The Pitch Wheel setting will now come out of the KB CV Out alongside the keyboard information. Try using the KB CV Out to modulate the stereo delay time 1 input to create longer delay times when you play higher notes on the keyboard. While holding a note, moving the Pitch Wheel will not only adjust the pitch, but it will now also modulate the delay time.

Response to the TIME 1 IN CV of the Stereo Delay is improved when synced.

KB GATE OUT will now follow MULTI TRIG selection.

KB VEL OUT (Keyboard Velocity CV Out), KB AT OUT (Keyboard Aftertouch CV Out), KB CV OUT (Keyboard CV Out), and KB GATE OUT (Keyboard Gate Out) correctly update when MIDI notes are played.

Global Setting 4.1: Delayed Keyboard Octave Shift has been improved and now also applies to the keyboard CV output.

Octave Transpose controls are now more responsive.

PPQN IN and OUT have been improved.

CC94 has been added to allow switching voice modes over MIDI.

Spurious MIDI messaging no longer occurs when HOLD function is engaged.

20 hours ago, GRollins said:

Nah...hold out for the Patriarch...

Grey

I love my Matriarch. I can’t help by wonder why Moog haven’t made an ‘every man’s” polysynth? - surely it can’t be too hard for them? They’d sell truckloads. 

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.