Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another Rock and Roll HOF class and still no Fanny.

surfergirl

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@surfergirl As you I told you before my son is married to a Filipino Medical Doctor woman. They both travel back and forth between New Jersey and the Philippines. My kiddo wants to move over there when he retires in a about 10 years or so, he worked in Server work and made a ton of Social Security and pension earnings and he will live like a well off man over there. In the mean time they both visit with each other every few months and he can actually work over there for short periods of time on the internet.

I knew who you meant!!! Fanny was a great band and largely overlooked.

Van Gogh never got much for any of his paintings, they skyrocketed in value many years after he passed on.

And so far, I have not won the lottery and become wealthy.

Life is not fair!!!! :- D

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

The hall of shame is riddled with misfires. So many great artists not in, so many not so great, in. A pet peeve of mine but I don't dwell on it. I think most of us realize that the hall is a complete joke.
"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

Fanny was cool and ahead of their time. The R&RHoF is a sham, a lame money-grab consortium of parasites. They need to f.uck off, shrivel up and blow away. My wonderful Grrrlfriend was there once, and says that there's nothing "Rock and Roll" about the place.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Fanny never got the attention they deserved when they were current, and this is just continues that trend . . . FWIW, there's an article in the January 2020 issue of GP, featuring June Millington, one of the original members. It's the issue with John Petrucci on the cover.

For my part, I pay no attention to the listings or nominees for the HOF. Like all the awards shows, it seems driven more by industry - read: marketing - than by artistry. I'm not going to bitch about those who've already been inducted, because I don't want to begrudge someone else's success, but don't ask me to take the whole thing seriously, either.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I was glad to see the Doobie Brothers inducted and though there was controversy over what is rock and roll (as always), I was glad to see Whiney Houston inducted as well. I actually pay little attention to the R&R HOF, but every now and then they do hit on someone I like... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

It's a popularity contest... not a quality contest. Sometimes the two overlap, but in the history of rock and pop music, as the years go on that's a chasm that opens up... I mean, when Limp Bizkit and The Backstreet Boys inevitably get their nods...

... I mean, when Limp Bizkit and The Backstreet Boys inevitably get their nods...

NO! Just f'ing NO! Tiny Tim, G.G. Allin, Menudo, The Fugs, any of them are more deserving, and I could easily go on.

I suspect that among all of us here in the Forums, we could come with a list of deserving nominees that would be as long as or longer than the list of current inductees, and better representative of Rock History.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is in Cleveland, Ohio.

Not Memphis, not New Orleans, not New York City, Detroit or even Los Angeles.

Sure, Ohio had the O'Jays and the Ohio Players. They were cool.

I've seen articles that try to claim Chrissie Hynde (Pretenders) for Ohio because she was born there and wrote a song about urban sprawl with the title "Ohio." That's a stretch, she had to get away from there to get her sound.

So the premise is truly thin in the first place.

I don't care what they do, at all.

Fanny was super-cool and that's that!

Devo and The Cramps were both from Ohio. In and of itself, however, that still doesn't explain nor excuse the so-called HOF . . .

Good to know! Love the Cramps.

I saw Devo on the Whip It tour and they were awesome!!!

They said it was in Cleveland because of Alan Freed...

I know but... weak. :- D

He spun records on the radio, big yippee!!! I'll grant that he did have an unusual playlist for the times and took considerable grief from holding firm on playing it. But...

Without records by (HUGE list of amazing artists!!!) he would have been a complete and utter nobody, forgotten in the sands of time...

I'd be willing to bet there were not many (or ANY) local artists whose records he may or may not have played, that changed the history of American music the way Fats Domino, Little Richard, Big Mama Thornton, Bo Diddley, Sister Rosetta Tharp, Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry, Elvis and even Bill Haley did. Were any of them from Ohio? Hmmm...

Fanny deserves a spot despite it being a bogus popularity contest as judged by wankers, they were pioneers and truly unlike anything before them in some notable ways although I'd bet Sister Rosetta Tharp was a big influence (as she was on all rock guitarists). Cheers, Kuru