dB

Re: Let's see your studios!
Dave Bryce #3029880 02/20/20 12:22 AM
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OK, I want one of those also. smile

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Plus, old gear has a story. I like that.
davedoerfler #3029886 02/20/20 12:58 AM
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by davedoerfler
I want one of those Focusrite Mic Pre's. cheers
javascript:quickReply(3029870,1,0)

Loookeee Ma!!! I has somehow inspired gear envy!!!! :- D

I like the Focusrite, it is another flavor that I didn't have. The Quantum and FMR preamps sound nice, have good dynamic range and full response but pretty much zero character.
The Focusrite has character and I like it. My first choice for micing vocals (not that I have many options!).
Bass sounds fantastic through the DI, I've had to improve my technique as it is now under the microscope.

At the same time, what imbecile designed the enclosure? I haven't opened it up to look but it isn't that heavy and I bet there is lots of empty space inside.
It is somehow 2 1/2 rack spaces tall and the handle seems pretty stupid to me, you gonna just carry it around by the handle from place to place?
I forgive it because I like the sound and I got a deal on craiglist - $120 and a Boss DD-5 (found at Goodwill for $30) and Digitech Luxe (bought new, too much, way cheaper used now).

There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Ronan C Murphy #3029965 02/20/20 06:42 PM
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
But wait, there is more. This is MY studio. I mostly do not have and do not seek clients. I have too many projects already and I want to record my own songs.
If I were not a songwriter I doubt I would have a studio at all.

In my mind, the studio is a workplace, a home for creativity. The DAW is my canvas and my voice, instruments and microphones are my brushes. I don't have a photo of my voice. I have friends who are amazing singers, I am not at that level but I can tell my stories and one of my songs is the most requested song in the band I play in (Lead guitar, Second vocalist).

I've covered most of my mics in this thread, it would be great to have more posts on there - http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3027793/mics-you-i-own-whats-good#Post3027793
I have all sorts of plug-ins, everybody does. Maybe we like different ones for different reasons, it's a rabbit hole and one of my feet is stuck already so no point in going deeper.

My prize percussion tool is a Korg Wavedrum Global. I can use it anytime night or day without disturbing neighbors. It is very expressive and sounds amazing. I also have a Roland Handsonic, the first one with the ribbon controllers. I have a box of thrift store find percussion goodies, frogs, bells, croakers, shakers etc. I also have 3 "beginners" snares in different sizes, a single headed rack tom and a double headed floor tom.
I want a hi hat stand with decent cymbals but otherwise I am covered.

Above all else, I am a guitarist. I started on bass and still love to play it. Attached are photos with brief descriptions of guitars/basses I am currently using to record. I have a few projects going but will only list functional instruments. I will make a second post with one more photo.

1st photo. I have 2 older Rainsong guitars - 100% graphite, Woodenville made and they have the specially tapered tops for best tone. OM-1000 and WS-3000 12 string. They both sound amazing.
3rd from left is The Diddley Bass. Recently converted to fretless and tuned BEAD. I stood next to Bo Diddley and played bass for a 2-1/2 hour show, we were his pickup band for one night. It is a parts build.
4th from left is a Tele I built 3 years ago. The neck has been mine for 1,000s of gigs. Warmoth from the 80's. I put a mount for Fishman Triple Play on it

2nd photo. My favorite electric guitar. Recent build, very wide and thick Warmoth neck, super jumbo frets and scalloped by yours truly. 2 EMG SA pickups, a 3 way switch and an SPC mid boost. Incredibly expressive once I got used to the scaloping.
Bell banjo kit, a Boucher pre-Civil War copy. I added a thick walnut fingerboard to lower the action. I also put vintage Schaller tuners on it. Banjo "purists" would consider it an abomination. I don't care, I like it.
Peavey Fury bass from the mid 80's. I put an EMG Pa pickup and the big heavy vintage Schaller tuners on it, otherwise it is stock. EADG tuning and roundwound strings. Great for gigs and studio.
Yamaha acoustic electric nylon string guitar. I adjusted the action, the rest is stock. Another color/flavor, I love it.

Attached Files
Guitars_1.jpg (380.11 KB, 44 downloads)
Guitars 2.jpg (347.76 KB, 42 downloads)

KuruPrionz #3029968 02/20/20 06:55 PM
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
One more photo of my "brushes".

86 Gibson ES-335 Studio model I bought used in 1988. I proceeded to improve it without any regard for future value. It has more than earned it's keep, lots of gigs behind it. Sperzel locking tuners, EMG pickups, super Jumbo frets, rare Schector Tri-Lock bridge that I further modified by bolting it to the body, custom plexiglass pickguard painted copper metallic from underneath for that "Gretsch" look. Great player with great tone.

Butchered Framus 8 string lap steel. My brother had this, a double neck. I converted (perverted?) it into 2 single necks and customized mine a bit. EMG passiv 8 string guitar pickup and the bridge is a thick walled deep socket I got at a pawn shop for fifty cents. Sustain is amazing, this is really fun with my E-Bow.

Requinto found at Goodwill for $15. Solid wood top, intonation is good, far and away the most "cheerful" sounding guitar I own.

"Danni Mayo" - a recent eBay score. I used to lust for the Danelectro Silvertone guitars in the Sears catalog because they looked cool and were inexpensive and I KNEW that Mom and Dad could get me one. They didn't, 4 kids and bills. 1958 U2, in nice condition would be worth a few bucks. Plays great, needs a couple of frets replaced. Despite the "smeared mayonnaise" paint job, somebody LOVED this one, the wear on the fingerboard is rarely seen this deep and in so many places. Has that amazing lipstick pickup tone but you have to find your null angle to record with it.

Edited to add - I have a few different guitar amps, mostly for gigging. I do have a couple of clones - Fender 5D3 (mid 50's tweed deluxe) built on a Hammond organ chassis with jumpered channels and Vox AC15 Top Cut clone built on vintage hi-fi chassis. These are cool and all but since I have a Tech 21 Tri-AC and NI Guitar Rig - IK Amplitube plugins I am questioning the need for the amps.

Pictured in my studio shots are a first version X-Keys 25 and Akai MPK 25. I dabble with them, not a good keyboard player. I have friends who play well. I have a Sharper Images Saxxy Kazoo Synthesizer that is good fun and can create insane sounds, I got an 1/8" stereo Y to 2 1/4" mono plugs cable so I can go direct and spare the neighors (and assumptions that I might be killing animals in my condo!!!!).

I also have tuneable bongos, capos, slides, an Ebow and some previously unmentioned horrible mics, like an old mic from a Japanese tape recorder and a Heil HP10 ham radio mic that has a built in HPF switchable from 300 to 600 hz. Sound samples online are pretty evil. Just got a 4 conductor XLR for that so will be wiring/firing it up soon. As always, a work in progress. Cheers, Kuru

Attached Files
Guitars_3.jpg (375.6 KB, 44 downloads)
Last edited by KuruPrionz; 02/20/20 08:45 PM. Reason: Other fun stuffs...

Dave Bryce #3031551 03/04/20 05:13 AM
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Dave Bryce

Where’s the A100? idk

found it, dB, hiding under the Hohner E7 in the garage. laugh

this is where I re live my youth. smile

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Ronan C Murphy #3031906 03/06/20 05:07 AM
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
Now that’s what I’m talking about. rocker

dB

Dave Bryce #3031907 03/06/20 05:11 AM
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
thanks blush

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ronan C Murphy 

Link Copied to Clipboard