Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studio MIDI Guitar by Jamstik

MPN21

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on if you're looking to use it for performance or as a dedicated controller for VST's?

I'd still look at either of the Fishman Tripleplay series, either the Wireless to connect to a computer, or the Connect to play through an iPad. The Wireless is $400US, pretty much anywhere, the Connect is $300US, and either one will allow you to use a Guitar you already own. The Wireless also has a hardware attachment for controlling hardware MIDI devices with a standard 5-pin DIN connection.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I am looking at all options. I can still cancel my studio MIDI guitar as the shipping won't begin until April. Just a lack of good videos of demos makes me a bit nervous. I stumbled upon MIDI Guitar 2 by Jam - "software that tracks better than any hex pick-up." So that's a possibility.

The Jam software looks very good if your goal is to work mainly within your computer, and with a free demo download to try, you may as well, even while you continue to look at other options. I'd be very interested to see how it does with manuscript software, one of the major pitfalls of MIDI Guitar. (Lots of small tracking errors.) Good luck in your search!

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Depends on if you're looking to use it for performance or as a dedicated controller for VST's?

I'd still look at either of the Fishman Tripleplay series, either the Wireless to connect to a computer, or the Connect to play through an iPad. The Wireless is $400US, pretty much anywhere, the Connect is $300US, and either one will allow you to use a Guitar you already own. The Wireless also has a hardware attachment for controlling hardware MIDI devices with a standard 5-pin DIN connection.

I have a Fishman Triple Play. It is good for what it is but not a be-all-end-all. I would never use it live, it is very sensitive to false triggering and not latency free on the lower strings by any means. It also requires flawless technique, something you will find out you do not have rather quickly.

For me it is a fun studio toy since I am not very good on keyboards. I don't see that changing.

There is a good thread running in Craig Anderton's forum about Midi Guitar, worth checking out.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Here's the interactive forum thread that's a review of the Jam Origin 2. Like anything else involving MIDI guitar, it's not plug-and-play...you have to learn/compensate. I'm still figuring it out but it's getting better. The main issue is false triggering, but there are probably ways to improve that I haven't found yet, and besides, it's easy to clean up in a MIDI editor.

This article provides a general overview of the original Jamstik. I also wrote about how to set up the Jamstik in PreSonus Studio One.

Overall it's quite good, but you can't really do proper string bends. Jam Origin is definitely better at that.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the links. I connected a cheap ukulele to the iPad, and I thought JO2 did a pretty good job!!!

Any chance you should share your JO2 experience in the interactive review thread - like how you connected up the ukulele?