Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Logic Pro X 101 for Cubase Users

I am integrating a (or moving to) a MacBook Pro in my studio, and i decided to add Logic Pro X to my setup.

I am *not* proposing to discuss if and why move to Logic from Cubase (the subject is a :deadhorse: ), but i am asking, for those that either

migrated already or use both Cubase and Logic, what are the important thing to keep in account for a Cubase old user when moving to Logic Pro.

Suggestions ?

Maurizio

PS: just because somebody will want to know: i'll use the laptop in the studio but also travalling and commuting; i cannot afford to loose the eLicenser key in the Parisian metro,

so this pushed me to explore Logic. Use of touchbar, better efficiency, better integration with mission control, the Cubase update costs, and plain curiosity are the other factor.

I do not know if i'll quit Cubase yet.

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say, never having used Cubase. But I love Logic. I've been using it since version 8, which makes me a little late to the game. I think Logic Pro X has been a great codebase, and Apple has been upgrading, fixing, and adding features for free since it came out in 2013. Good luck with your transition!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I moved the opposite direction years ago when Emagic was bought by Apple and I switched to Cubase for PC. The most important thing for me was MIDI integration with external hardware, which both did well. Least having a patch list for your OB6 could be helpful. I need to find one for Cubase myself still. I haven't looked hard enough yet. Another thing I find important is audio routing flexibility since I incorporate external effects processors into my setup as well. Cubase makes that a breeze once you figure it out and it's set up.

But otherwise, a DAW is a DAW. I had to get used to the new workflow, but then again, each move on Cubase again forces workflow changes with new features. If it resonates with you, use it.

Devon

I moved the opposite direction years ago when Emagic was bought by Apple and I switched to Cubase for PC. The most important thing for me was MIDI integration with external hardware, which both did well. Least having a patch list for your OB6 could be helpful. I need to find one for Cubase myself still. I haven't looked hard enough yet. Another thing I find important is audio routing flexibility since I incorporate external effects processors into my setup as well. Cubase makes that a breeze once you figure it out and it's set up.

But otherwise, a DAW is a DAW. I had to get used to the new workflow, but then again, each move on Cubase again forces workflow changes with new features. If it resonates with you, use it.

Devon

I did exactly the same. I loved Logic but as a Windows user I had to go to Cubase which is still my primary DAW. The latest version of PreSonus Studio One is quite compelling but I have finish some old stuff because I could make the full switch.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

• 4 months later...
Just finally made the switch from Sonar and Windows 7 to Cubase Pro 10.5 and Windows 10. Now, I need to start thinking about upgrading my Mackie Onyx 400F Firewire interface since Mackie's driver for this doesn't support Windows 10. Looking at the new Steinberg UR816C or maybe saving up for a RME Fireface UCX USB / FireWire. Added a USB 3.0 and a Thunderbolt port when I upgraded to Windows 10, so I maybe take advantage of that.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn"t know where to put this, so I searched for Cubase and this is the latest thread. Maybe a user will benefit: http://14bitmidi.com/

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin