Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sequential Hybrid Pro 3

Yeah, that makes sense Mark. Forgive me for being naive about modulars, but I'm naive about mudulars. I'm strickly a performance synth guy. Always have been, always will be. I never had patience for screwing around with patch cables or any kind of cables, for that matter. If I have an electronic device that requires a genius to set it up, it will end up in the dumpster in short order. As Clint Eastwood use to say "A Man's got to know his limitations". I know mine. How about "Patience is a Virtue, seldom found in women and NEVER found in men"

I like the EDIT button, make changes, Press SAVE. End of story. All too often, musical thoughts can be LOST when I've had to fiddle with a piece of equipment that was not working properly or not working at all. I keep the waste basket close by where ever I am, and the dumpster close by outside my back door.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brotha PROF D, you're NOT helping Marino's GAS. :cry::cool::thu:
Right. :D

An old friend and I are daring one another to take the Wavestate leap, as we've always been more Korg-ish than not. He had a Wavestation EX and I have the Legacy version, so having its main lack addressed upfront by separating the wavesequencing tracks makes it seductive. The thing is... we both know its a junk buy if we aren't prepared to make it a 2nd wife for 6 months. That's from two players who have Korg's general paradigm of many years in their marrow by now. Its the question of GAS vs. fortitude.
Sounds like an healthy way of dealing with it. :thu:

I can relate, because the Wavestation was my main "singing synth" before the MEK. My most streamlined setup consisted in XP-80 (expanded), WS-AD and Kurz MicroEnsemble. Very easy to carry around and set up.

About the CV connections and programmability: That can only be an advantage. In almost every kind of modular system, you have to rethink the whole configuration every time you make, or rebuild, a patch. Having at least *some* degree of programmability could only be a good thing. Of course, as Mark remarked, if you even start dealing with modulars, you *must* invest in as many attenuators, mixers, dividers, etc. as you can - but this is going to affect you in any case, programmable CVs or not.

On the bright side, having those CV connections could encourage you to experiment with other instrument and modules, even if that wasn't your primary intent when getting the instrument.

• 1 year later...

Looks like I may be buying one of these this weekend, as I am once again 3000 miles away from 95% or more of my belongings, only this time it is far more likely to last years rather than months.

Earlier today, I looked over all current MIDI controllers, and once again concluded that only the top-end Arturias are for me, but at over $500 it got me thinking again about my long list of synths.

As the Pro 3 has excellent keybed action and MIDI specs, I figured I may as well get it now, even though I wouldn't have "needed" it if I was still in CA. After all, I have the Prophet XL and Voyager.

Going over every single topic on this forum that touches upon this synth, reminded me of its many strengths and few if any weaknesses, and that it is truly the spiritual successor to the MEK.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

What sort of keyboard stand do people find works best, and what about bags? I haven't had a chance yet to check for a good bag match, and am wondering if an X-stand is best (if so, I'll buy top-end K&M -- I left my Ultimate X-stand in CA due to my tiny car quickly running out of space).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Am I the only one who thinks the standard edition looks better? Somehow the wood-and-black combination just doesn't work for me for this one, due to the specific shades (possibly not accurately represented on-line due to lighting considerations etc.), and I'm not sure I'd want a tilted frame anyway for cheapo knobs.
I just saw the pic, and I kind of agree - the standard looks great, and I'm not sure I'd want to pay the extra for the woodwork.

Cheers, Mike.

Yep, but that's an old post, and I modified my views after seeing them in person. Also, the hinge makes a huge difference.

Mine should arrive on Friday; way earlier than I expected. I didn't order a bag yet as the best fit seems to be the same one I have for my Hammond XK-1c back in CA (the Gator GK-49), and as I may upgrade to the XK-5 and put the XK-1c up for sale, I don't want to spend $200 on a potentially redundant bag.

The official bag that was contracted by Dave Smith, looks nice, is slightly more expensive, but some say it isn't tall enough to accommodate the SE version of the Pro 3.

As chance would have it, a Guitar Center on-line sale caused me to come across this case, which I ordered just now:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Odyssey/Flight-Zone-Keyboard-case-for-37-note-keyboards-1274115053539.gc

At more than $50 less than the Gator GK-49 bag, it also seems a better fit and all-around more protection for the synth.

I finally had time this afternoon to get all the firmware, wavetables, and patches (plus tunings) up to date, and to play with the synth a bit. This is the first time I've waited almost two days to play with a new synth, but I had an audition yesterday and had to focus on that first.

This synth is amazing; very deep due to its filters, and I would say that it does remind me a bit of a more modern Evolver. I'm already in love with it, and do not feel that my left-behind prophet XL makes it redundant once I have access to that synth again.

The firmware update allows for duo-timbral playing, which I find extremely useful. The sequencer is likely the best one that Dave Smith has ever implemented in a synth. I even feel a bit of Prophet VS's DNA in here. The provided wavetables really cover a broad range of sounds and are very useful. For example, once can create very convincing natural sounds that are useful for soundtrack work or ambient material, or even for songs that need a bit of wind or other weather etc.

The Special Edition is much more beautiful in person, than one could guess from the photos. And the hinge mechanism is very well implemented.

When has Sequential truly released a stinker? I do recall the Tempest upheaval and the Six-Trak buttons were craptastic, which was too bad for such a potent synth of the time. Otherwise, anything? My history has been varied, but I've had five at evenly-spaced intervals. They seemed... necessary! The company sound fills a vital niche across the range of market options. I'm in a permanent softsynth place now, but all of the Sequential action lately has me eyeing a software Prophet. Dave, please make one of these in-house. :hugegrin:

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"