Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My very own rig planning thread

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote for simplifying your live rig, and agree with many others here about selling the Juno-106. Having too many devices and connections does increase the risk of problems on stage.

I have many not-so-fond memories of juggling an RD-700NX / Motif XF7 interconnected with a MacBook, sound module and effects unit - plus audio and MIDI interfaces. There were frequent minor annoyances, and the occasional FUBAR situation. Really, nobody in the audience had any clue about the sound quality or effort I was making, except when they saw me desperately trying to fix something mid set. And multiple band shows were the worst. Having short rig and strike times with a complex setup is irritating AF. I'm done with stage hands and sound engineers crabbing at me about the downbeat time during a fifteen minute turnaround.

The OB-6 would cover your analog requirements superbly, and having the keyboard version would streamline your stage setup. With the OB's capablilties I think you'd feel the same kind of organic goodness the Juno offers. I'm all for feeling good about the gear I'm playing; but if keeping it going causes distraction, that takes away from enjoying performing.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

• 1 month later...
There were frequent minor annoyances, and the occasional FUBAR situation. Really, nobody in the audience had any clue about the sound quality or effort I was making, except when they saw me desperately trying to fix something mid set.

I did witness the aforementioned Wix in that situation at the McCartney show at Vienna.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Well, here we are after NAMM, and I think I've more or less made my choice. I've started listing some gear for sale and will be putting a few more pieces up soon. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a Nord Stage 3 Compact. The OB will have to wait for now.

I do have a few questions about the Stage before I pull the trigger, even though I'm not sure it'll change much.

1) Does loading a "bundle" mean I'm just loading a few sounds together, or can I load a full set with according patch names and effects and such into a backline NS3 once I've programmed everything in my own?

2) How is the SW action for piano playing? How does it compare to my NE3? I don't believe there are any NS3s left in stores around me to try.

3) Did everything get figured out as far as output routing with dual kb mode? You can isolate instrument sections of each panel, right? But the Leslie sim can only be routed to 1+2?

4)How are we doing, OS-wise, sound-wise? I imagine at this point there are no bugs left to fix and most people have their sounds dialled in. Anyone feel cramped memory wise or is there ample room for sounds and samples?

I will have to sell a large portion of my gear to make it happen, but I suppose the hope is that it'll be able to replace it all. Plus I don't have enough space to add without subtracting, lol. I'll keep the Sledge for now and maybe sell it down the line when I upgrade that side of things. For now, the Stage's A1+Sledge combo should be more than enough as a stopgap measure. Even if a Stage 4 comes within the year, I anticipate being happy with the Stage 3 at the centre of my rig(s) for years to come, just like the Electro 3 has been for ol' reliable for me all this time.

I do have a few questions about the Stage before I pull the trigger, even though I'm not sure it'll change much.

1) Does loading a "bundle" mean I'm just loading a few sounds together, or can I load a full set with according patch names and effects and such into a backline NS3 once I've programmed everything in my own?

2) How is the SW action for piano playing? How does it compare to my NE3? I don't believe there are any NS3s left in stores around me to try.

3) Did everything get figured out as far as output routing with dual kb mode? You can isolate instrument sections of each panel, right? But the Leslie sim can only be routed to 1+2?

4)How are we doing, OS-wise, sound-wise? I imagine at this point there are no bugs left to fix and most people have their sounds dialled in. Anyone feel cramped memory wise or is there ample room for sounds and samples?

Congrats on the decision!

1) Yes, you can load a full set, although I think you may be limited to 25 programs per bundle, in which case, you would need to create multiple bundles. You just need to make sure there is enough space (memory and program slots) to load your bundle and may have to delete some of what exists on the board. A rough estimate would be 5-10 minutes per 100MB of samples (piano engine or synth engine) to be restored. Programs and Songs are virtually instant to restore. If an identical sample already exists on the instrument, it will be skipped in the restore process, saving a lot of time.

2) I'm relatively adaptable to different keybeds. I find the SW acceptable for APs and very good for EPs. The action is a bit stiffer than I anticipated and it's far better than a straight synth keybed would be for piano. I never had an NE3 so I couldn't compare. On the whole, I love the NS3C for its weight and size, but if I had to choose, I would go with the HA88 if I was OK with carrying and transporting it. The extra keys are great for splits and the keybed hits a sweet spot to handle piano, synth and organ.

3) I'll leave the MIDI/Dual KB part of your question to others. I have no experience there. Yes, I believe that the Leslie Sim is fixed to outputs 1 & 2.

4) The only time I feel cramped for space is when I want to try new/different samples or pianos, but I find the space more than adequate with plenty free for what I need on a gig.

As for bugs, it looks like anything major or common has been addressed. There is a shared spreadsheet and thread about bugs on the Nord User Forum, if you'd care to read through it. The biggest issues I see are not bugs, but feature changes between the NS2 and NS3 such as the MIDI implementation, the removal of Pending Load, and the reverb placed before the rotary speaker emulation, all of which will likely not be addressed. A few occasionally complain about Synth engine polyphony and the note stealing algorithm when polyphony is exceeded, but a fix for it was issued last year.

I'd also recommend the "My Keys to Music" YouTube channel for great tutorial videos for the NS3.

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

Thank you for the detailed reply, ajstan, much appreciated! I may have to pop over to the Nord forum. KC remains my only internet forum and I kind of like it that way, but I guess I could go take a holiday over there. ;) Thank you for the tutorial recommendation as well, I'll check that out. As for differences between the NS2 and the NS3, I'm hoping I won't miss anything, since I've never played an NS2. I wonder if my ears will pick up on the pre-Leslie verb...

I also still anticipate combining the NS3 with either my FP4 as bottom 88 or my Sledge (and whatever happens next) as a top synth. Depending on the gig. I rarely do three-board gigs but maybe I'll find a reason for it. :)

And no, Sam, I won't be selling the Juno. One of the few things I'll be keeping. :cheers: But it will stay a studio piece for now.

no, Sam, I won't be selling the Juno. One of the few things I'll be keeping. :cheers: But it will stay a studio piece for now.
Relieved to hear it. I couldn't afford to take it off your hands right now, and I would want to be certain it was properly cared for. :grin:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

The aftertouch strip means that the keys bottom out about 1/8" higher than on the Electros. Coming from an Electro 3/4D/5D it felt a little weird to me at first but I quickly adapted.

Haven't felt cramped at all. IMO you don't need to load the XL samples for the acoustic pianos, L is more than adequate, especially for live use. I have most of the grands and I think all of the uprights loaded, as well as every electric piano (though I think I have XL samples for the epianos since they aren't that large of a file)

Thank you for the detailed reply, ajstan, much appreciated! I may have to pop over to the Nord forum. KC remains my only internet forum and I kind of like it that way, but I guess I could go take a holiday over there. ;) Thank you for the tutorial recommendation as well, I'll check that out. As for differences between the NS2 and the NS3, I'm hoping I won't miss anything, since I've never played an NS2. I wonder if my ears will pick up on the pre-Leslie verb...

I also still anticipate combining the NS3 with either my FP4 as bottom 88 or my Sledge (and whatever happens next) as a top synth. Depending on the gig. I rarely do three-board gigs but maybe I'll find a reason for it. :)

You're certainly welcome. Glad I could be of help! The NS3 was my first Nord so the differing functionality with the NS2 didn't bother me. cphollis, Rusty Mike, and AnotherScott among others are over on the Nord forum, so you won't be a stranger. I was surprised at what the NS3 synth can do, so maybe the FP4 and NS3C can be a good 2-board combo.

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

And yes, everyone buy Rudy a beer for upselling my GAS. A true KC brother! :cheers:

Congratulations, Eric, on your decision to go with the Stage 3 Compact! I was on the fence between a Compact or 76; went with the 76, since there were many single-keyboard gigs on which I wanted a weighted action. I don't mind covering organ and synth parts on that action.

The Stage 3 has ended up being indispensable for all of my gigs; a solid centerpiece now. It's great by itself, or in combination as well. It's been put above an MODX 8, and also beneath a Kronos 61; though it still covers a fair share of single keyboard dates - even when heavier synth duty is needed. I learned quickly not to underestimate the synth engine; it's a very powerful tool.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Congratulations, Eric!

I had a Stage 2 Compact that I used for years â probably my most versatile & reliable Jacques-of-all-trades ever.

It travels and holds up extremely well. A great investment by you.

Here for the gear.