Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kronos Sequence Edits

In years past I always used software sequencing for most edits but my old computer crashed years ago and I really don't sequence much anymore. That said, as I'm writing, I find myself wanting to experiment with different sounds and moving parts around to see what works before I practice enough to perform it either live or for the studio recording. One shortcoming in the Kronos sequencer that I've found is that while it's easy to move measures and cut/copy/paste by measure, none of that is available for a fraction of a measure. Suppose at some measure, I want to delete the first 2 beats and move everything else after that up 2 beats.....unless I'm missing something it seems like that feature is unavailable. Am I missing something? Seems pretty straight forward. Normally you wouldn't need to do that, I guess, but I'm constructing scales and arpeggios into melodic compositions and want to experiment before I commit to see what things sound like. It's all compositional and whatever I come up with, I'll rehearse until I can play it flawlessly but it would save time to be able to mix and match sections of different compositions until I decide on something. A pattern sequencer might be the better choice. I have an Alesis MMT-8 in storage. Maybe I should be using that.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I work with the SEQ all the time.

You are possibly familiar with track edit so this is likely review and where I start:

The upper right hand menu has a drop down list, and a section named shift /erase note.

A dialog box opens, and this hits on the midi track and measure you are in. I assume

you are working with midi instruments. Audio tracks/measures is a different process.

Anyway, I do all my measure chopping here. An example would be drum roll/fill that is only 2 beat ticks

of the measure, lets say its on beat 3 and 4.

Another example, is an arpeggio[ using a midi instrument/program] in a measure , where I need to erase the beat tick from 4.0 to 4.479.

My workaround to capture that partial measure clean up/fix it/edit etc within that existing Song, lets say Song 000. Then I copy

that edited measure within Song 000 and paste it where needed.

Edited 2 beat drum rolls or drum fills is an example, where I copy them around as needed in the song.

Another workaround is to do all your measure editing in Song 0001 then simply use the

Copy Measure step to move the edited measure from Song 0001 to Song 000,

I also have and build on a template or collection of half measure drum fills/rolls as a separate Song file.

I can ' append ' this drum fill library to any new song. Which saves a lot of time, as I don't need to produce

and repeat every step.

You don't need more gear IMO.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]