Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Celviano GP-310 and 510

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy cow, this was an unexpected development, for Casio to collaborate with Bechstein on the action for their keybed!

I wonder if the Berlin sound set derives from C. Bechstein Digital Grand (which is one of my most-used piano libraries)?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I wonder what new benefits/features the GP310 delivers.

Most of the major improvements:

- The speaker system has been entirely redesigned, so while on paper it appears to have the same "specs" the sound is remarkably better.

- All three piano sounds have been improved with a longer decay, better legato connection.

- New touch response curves, providing improved control and wider dynamic range.

- Soft pedal tonal color improved

- Keyboard mechanical noises added to the GP-310 (previously only a 500-series feature)

- New LCD Display that is easier to read.

- New Master EQ system

- New Harpsichord tone

- New finish on the GP-310 as well

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Who will really buy it though?

Odd question - Steve as he mentioned above owns the pervious version. Michael Boddicker has a couple of the original versions, even Keith Emerson had the original GP-500 before he passed.

Popular for homes, schools, performers.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

So the Bechstein collaboration isn't new then? I haven't looked at Casio digital uprights in over five years by now. I'll check whether any local stores stock them (Walnut Creek, Berkeley).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

So the Bechstein collaboration isn't new then?

No, this started 5 years ago with the introduction of the original models and continues. C. Bechstein has involved in the entire process, keybed, action and the sound design of the "Berlin Grand".

-Mike Martin

Casio

OK I get it more institutional sales then.

No, not exactly. Overall institutions are part of the business but a small percentage compared to home buyers. We're working to increase it though. ;)

-Mike Martin

Casio

Here's the original GP-500 recorded live at a NAMM event with Dave Weckl, Eric Marienthal, Carlitos Del Puerto from a couple years ago.

[video:youtube]

-Mike Martin

Casio

Good to know. I once owned one of the small-form controllers, but didn't want to bring that up because the problems were the vendor's and not Casio's, but it nevertheless unfairly caused me to not pay as much attention as I should to developments since that time, especially regarding the non-portable models, which I didn't know had jumped so far ahead from where the controllers and portable digital pianos were. At the time, several manufacturers were mostly just tailoring such models for the expectations that come with buying a non-portable DP vs. significantly raising the bar above the portable options. So it seems that by now, most of the manufacturers are clearly distinguishing this market as distinct and demanding/requiring top-end solutions.

I may have a chance to try one out on Friday, if the usual surprises don't throw me off my game (I wear a lot of hats and have no backup or overlap, like most of my co-workers in the same boat). I'll check their website too though, as I'm almost certain that either or both fo the Berkeley and Walnut Creek specialty stores are Casio dealers (only the Berkeley store has Kawai, but both have Yamaha and I think Roland but I long ago ruled out Roland keys as they never feel or sound right to me after even just 10-15 minutes of playing).

OK I get it more institutional sales then.

No, not exactly. Overall institutions are part of the business but a small percentage compared to home buyers. We're working to increase it though. ;)

OK I understand what you mean.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Here's the original GP-500 recorded live at a NAMM event with Dave Weckl, Eric Marienthal, Carlitos Del Puerto from a couple years ago.

[video:youtube]

It is ridiculous what a good job this hybrid is doing in this acoustic setting. I'm not sure if it is the video mic or if an H4 was setup or something, or if this is a live feed off a mixer. But the timbre is really appropriate, the ambient chordal sound isn't sloppy or muddy sounding and the lead lines speak well. Steve seems to be enjoying the action as well. I played the GP-300 at Sam Ash on W34th St. NYC (has one of the best kept keyboard sections in the region) and was impressed with the action at this price point, it's worth a sit down. Street price is about $3,999 which is similar to a Kawai CA7x or equivalent Clavinova. A Kawai NV5 is about $8500, Yamaha N2 about $10k. Comparable? Not really, but quite good for the money which is where Casio is killing it.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if it's possible to find these anywhere? I just did an internet search and couldn't find any, but there's an excellent review here:

https://azpianonews.blogspot.com/2016/06/Casio-GP500-GP400-GP300-REVIEW-Grand-Hybrid-Celviano-Bechstein-low-price.html

The reviewer says they are not sold in the USA?

As of the 2020 NAMM show they are sold in the USA. Sweetwater, Kraft and other dealers nationwide.

Dealer locator:

https://www.casiomusicgear.com/where-to-buy

-Mike Martin

Casio

Thanks Mike; I couldn't find the dealer locator when I went to the Casio site earlier, but I think I might have gone to the wrong site as probably there are different ones per region as with Yamaha; that website design looks completely different from the one I was looking at while still at the office this afternoon.

Just checked the list, and nothing very close to here. Still, might be better to shoot past Sacramento, all the way to Gilroy, San Jose, Burlingame, etc., than to order blind and be disappointed. Too bad Walnut Creek's piano dealers no longer carry Casio, or the one down the street from my office in Berkeley either (they used to).

It's interesting that Bonners minimizes the GP-310 vs. GP-510 differences, when the review I posted above, says they sound completely different. Perhaps the comparison was not updated for the new models, and the previous generation had larger differences?

Just checked the list, and nothing very close to here.

Let me check in with our sales team and double check, I'm pretty sure we have coverage in your area.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike, what I mean by "my area" is BART-able, just so you know. :-) Especially now, as I probably can't drive for another few weeks, due to the concussion and other injuries.

I checked L.A. and the locations there are more convenient in that region to places I might actually be on my next visit, whenever that is (possibly later this year).

The main thing I have to think about is ergonomics, as any Digital Console Piano will have to go in the living room, so unless wheelable, is impractical as a MIDI controller.

So I may be better off with yet another compromise on a fully portable model instead (though tri-pedals are a nonnegotiable), as an inherited grand will eventually be mine.

• 2 weeks later...
Can you tell us more about the new harpsichord? How many registers and combinations? Mute/buff setting, release samples, etc.? Modeled, sampled, hybrid? Blanchett, or other widely respected source instrument? is there something unique about it vs. what is found in other digital pianos, or is this "simply" an upgraded sample set? I didn't find any audio examples of it yet, which is why I am asking questions. Harpsichord is super-important to me, and it would be great to not have to be tethered to the computer for usable sounds.

Mark,

I'll try to get some audio examples. It is an updated sample - an improvement from what is in the PX-5S / PX-560. It includes key-off samples. I don't know the source instrument. I'll confirm variations and other information for you later today.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Hi Mike,

2 Quick questions:

1)Are the actions identical on the 310 and 510?

2) Is the difference between the 2 models the level of editing?

Thanks for all you do!

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Hi Mike,

2 Quick questions:

1)Are the actions identical on the 310 and 510?

2) Is the difference between the 2 models the level of editing?

Thanks for all you do!

The keyboard action is identical. The GP-510 has more tones (35 vs 26) and the finish is different but you're correct the GP-510 has more under the hood that can be tweaked and adjusted. Specifically the GP-510 has control over Open String Resonance, Aliquot Resonance, Pedal Action noises and the ability to store these and numerous other settings as a "SCENE".

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike, how much of this creeps down the product line, or is it a complete cutoff vs. gradual upgrades as one moves up through the more portable models to these? Obviously the keybed is a giant selling point, but if someone is enamored with the Casio/Bechstein collaboration but needs something more portable, either instead of, or in addition to, the GP-310 or GP-510, are there other Celviano options worth looking at (or possibly down the time line)?

I'm really sold on these, but may need to focus on a portable model for now, and also may have an acoustic piano in the house within a reasonable time frame anyway due to people passing on (I don't want to sidetrack the conversation but you probably saw my FB post so know what I'm talking about).

Hey Mark,

There are some things that we do that are only available in these two models. The GP-310/510 have three different grand piano sounds. The latest generation Privia models have piano sounds based on the "Hamburg" grand but the other two (including the "Berlin" Bechstein) are only found in the Grand Hybrid. The new Privia PX-S series have a similar damper resonance and string resonance system but most of the other nuances are exclusive to the Grand Hybrid.

-Mike Martin

Casio