Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sequential Hybrid Pro 3

Yep, that's the photo whose resolution helped confirm my preference for Standard Edition. :-) It's much more of a whole, and consistent in look, which is also less distracting while playing.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Angled panel allow the player to set it up so lighting doesn't interfere with SEEING the screen or the controls. Some years ago I was playing an outdoor festival and I couldn't read ANY of the screens on my keyboards. I had to get some card board and tape it to the keyboards between the sun and the screen.

I don't know that I would want to take the nice furniture model out to Club Gigs, its much too pretty. It only takes one IDIOT to ruin a KB like that.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Oh, I understand that, but do you think the angle on the Standard Edition is enough to solve that issue, or that you need the full flexibility of the adjustable angle of the Special Edition?

I found that the Moog Voyager did NOT work well on a multi-tiered rack, partly due to its depth, but was also wondering if it was a center of gravity issue due to the angling.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I'd be a Special Edition buyer if that was my direction. Part of why I gravitated towards softsynths was the absence of having to bend over a display like a giant comma until my back ached. Some decry working too much in-the-box, but sitting up straight (mostly) when I work is just as important as the gear. Far more synths should have the option of a MiniMoog-style display that tilts, even if its a short run. I've always had to build a second layer of supports to get knobs & displays into a grabbable position. I know that adds to the base price, but its worth the ergonomic gain, IMO.

This is a meaningful leap ahead as a synth. Some of us, myself included, think like pianists/organists and want at least 61 keys, with 76 being popular for a certain group. Some of that is for the means to zone things, but its also a bit of a holdout, to think of a synth as self-contained like a B-3. The new paradigm is more along the lines of several instruments with fewer and/or mini-keys.

Look at an old Vangelis stack. Now multiply that with USB and CV options, the nice paraphony available here, the effects and all the rest. You end up in a position somewhat like that of a pipe organist, moving between several levels as you play. I understand GAS n' all, but wow, if you have, say, this, a Wavestate, a Casio PX5S and a few softsynths, its hard to say that you're facing any real musical limitations. The evolution of the gear is fascinating. Following that is far better than watching the news and growling while you polish an axe handle. No, you can't use that on customer service. :mad::cry::wave:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

In the two new videos posted today from NAMM, the wood edition with full slant capabilities, looks far better to me, so I think it was just the lighting and angles in the marketing lit that made me prefer the standard edition previously. I'm generally not a fan of marketing photos anyway; they never seem real.

I've already lost interest in everything new that got announced this year (software and hardware both), after digging deeper (including the ARP 2600 reissue), but the Evolver-like architecture of the Pro-3 keeps me a bit intrigued about this offering. I'll just keep listening to new demos as they become available. It seems to have a wide palette of sounds without being overly complicated or convoluted in the matrix-type routing schemes of other synths.

I also like that it's 3-paraphonic and can blend the two VCO's with one DCO.

These NAMM videos of the Pro 3 sound really good. It sounds really meaty on the analog side and also has metallic and shimmering qualities on the wavetable side. Very versatile and immediate UI! It doesn't have that thin sound I"ve found on modern DSIs aside from the P6 (and OB6) I think I"ve finally found the DSI/Seq synth that I"ll connect with. And I do love the Moogy tilt panel of the SE!

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

I found a thread I started four years ago, asking Dave Smith to make "my ideal monosynth" - and I have to say that the Pro 3 comes damn close to most of my requests! The main difference is the lack of a fourth oscillator.

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2723991/Searchpage/1/Main/182543/true/my-ideal-analog-monosynth-an-open-letter-to-dave-smith#Post2723991

Even though few people are mentioning it, this thing could be considered the Evolution of the Evolver.

And the most recent demos are much more convincing to my ears, showing some of the synth's real potential.

I see trouble in GAS form on the horizon. :freak::evil::D:evil::freak:

. And I do love the Moogy tilt panel of the SE!

remember Jim that this is an option and adds $500.00 to the price. Mark and I played one early this afternoon at NAMM and we were both perfectly happy with the non hinged version,It still has an upward tilt. As alway, YMMV

:nopity:

. And I do love the Moogy tilt panel of the SE!

remember Jim that this is an option and adds $500.00 to the price. Mark and I played one early this afternoon at NAMM and we were both perfectly happy with the non hinged version,It still has an upward tilt. As alway, YMMV

Thanks for the tip, Dave, I"d definitely go for the standard version despite my coveting the SE! Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor"s Pro 3 SE, lol :-)

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Maybe it's posted on the DSI forum. My login credentials have expired by now, so I'd have to sign up[ anew.

Maybe it's posted on the DSI forum. My login credentials have expired by now, so I'd have to sign up anew.

Not yet. There is a new Pro 3 sub-forum but no sign of the manual so far. It would expect it soon given their imminent shipping estimates, but I suppose there's no guarantee it comes out before the synth lands in peoples' hands.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

I wrote it down to ask them about a manual. Will report back when I can. One more day of NAMM left

Thanks! Btw it's not available for download from the Sequential site yet.

I spoke with Dave Smith yesterday, Carlo, and he told me the manual is finished and it should be on the website by the end of the week

:nopity:

I wrote it down to ask them about a manual. Will report back when I can. One more day of NAMM left

Thanks! Btw it's not available for download from the Sequential site yet.

I spoke with Dave Smith yesterday, Carlo, and he told me the manual is finished and it should be on the website by the end of the week

Thanks again, Dave. I want details about FM, RM, modulating distortion, and many other things....

Ok, I studied the manual, listened to every single demo - and now I have a problem.

This is very close to the perfct monosynth for me. Red GAS alarm. DEFCON 1! :D

Please help me...

Send messages like "Stick to the MEK for a while longer".

Thank you.

Brotha Marino, sell the MEK to offset the cost of the Pro 3. :duck::laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Old guys like Yours Truly sit back and look at all the new equipment that has been introduced over the last few years, as well as what we get for the money.

So now we have a 3 Osc 3 filter synth with 2 VCOs and a 3rd wavetable Osc, well you know the rest. It sounds great. The standard edition is $1595.00. Let that sink in for a minute. We have paid more than double that much money in years past for a synth that may not have satisfied us completely. Us KB players seem to never be satisfied. :cry:

Its difficult to scratch the Pro 3 off a wish list for anyone that is in the market for a synth in that category. Its a bargain for what you get. The fact that its made by Dave Smith rules out wannabees.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Brotha Marino, sell the MEK to offset the cost of the Pro 3. :duck::laugh::cool:

That would be silly... The MEK is my main solo voice. I know it inside and out, and I made more than 500 patches for it.

I think I have found the right line of reasoning to slow down the GAS drive: I'm going to be horribly busy in the next few months, and having a Pro 3 around would steal most of my time to play it, putting myself in big trouble. After all, I don't need a new synth tomorrow.... so I decided to postpone any consideration to next summer. In the meantime, I'll try to put my hands on one, to see how it clicks in person...

I'm ok. No, really. Seriously. :evil::freak::D

That would be silly... The MEK is my main solo voice. I know it inside and out, and I made more than 500 patches for it.

I'm going to be horribly busy in the next few months, and having a Pro 3 around would steal most of my time to play it, putting myself in big trouble.

In the meantime, I'll try to put my hands on one, to see how it clicks in person...

I'm ok. No, really. Seriously. :evil::freak::D

My reverse psychology worked. :laugh:

Now, it reads like you have quenched your own GAS. :D

The MEK is all you need in a mono synth and you're already well invested in it.

Don't even bother to lay hands on the Pro 3. You don't need a shiny new mono synth. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Brotha PROF D, you're NOT helping Marino's GAS. :cry::cool::thu:

Mike T.

>> The MEK is my main solo voice. I know it inside and out, and I made more than 500 patches for it.

Similar thing here. An old friend and I are daring one another to take the Wavestate leap, as we've always been more Korg-ish than not. He had a Wavestation EX and I have the Legacy version, so having its main lack addressed upfront by separating the wavesequencing tracks makes it seductive. The thing is... we both know its a junk buy if we aren't prepared to make it a 2nd wife for 6 months. That's from two players who have Korg's general paradigm of many years in their marrow by now. Its the question of GAS vs. fortitude.

Therefore, especially on HERE, you absolutely know whether or not you have the oomph to give this powerhouse the SynthLuv it deserves. Its a snazzy blend of modular behaviors and steroided monosynth. If you don't have feet in both worlds, what you need is more likely a P-6 or OB-6. Or perhaps a GX-1 with a house built around it, where a third of its value will reside in the instrument. Great mini-home idea.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Oh. I don't know, just because a new synth is capable of communicating with a Modular synth doesn't mean you have to have Modular equipment in order the buy one, play one, enjoy what you use it for, whatever that may be musically.

For example: I couldn't care less about the Sequencer, at least the type of sequencers that are built into many synths of today. I can see their useful application for some musicians, but generally, that is not how I would use a synth like the Pro 3. Even if a musician intends to use the Pro 3 as a lead synth "Voice" or to make weird sound effects to their heart's content in their music room, so what? Can't beat its capability for the price. An inexpensive instrument that can provide a musical journey that pleases us.

Good enough!

Mike T.

I"ve wondered how easy it is on the Pro-2 and now Pro-3 to assign and keep track of the programmable CV i/o. It"s flexible and all but you lose the visual advantage of dedicated jacks and I can imagine switching each CV function during modular exploration to be very frustrating.

It"s cool that you can save the CV configurations per patch but then how do you remember what each CV is assigned to once you recall that patch? I"d probably make several patches just for CV 'templates' to help facilitate this. Then again modular geeks thrive on frustration.

Its only guess, but I would say that routing of CV or most any kind of internal to external connection can be achieved with the OS software and accessed using the screen. We have been making those type of internal to external connections on our computers forever. Ever install and connect a printer to your PC? I'd bet that would be the way that works. But, only a guess.

Mike T.

Good guess Mike- that"s exactly how it"s done. I should clarify the assignment of the 8 CV i/o is very easy. But now picture you have this modular synth with a bunch of patch cords. And you have up to 8 patch cords coming off the back of the Pro-3. Now you want to modulate the 'wake up stupid' input of your 'Annihilate Everyone' oscillator with the Pro-3 LFO3. Which wire is the LFO3 coming off of? Oh you need to assign it to one of the 4 CV outputs - Ok that"s easy (seriously). But do you need that output for something else?

Im just saying if you work with modular this may require some additional thought.