Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender has brought back the XII w/ original headstock etc.

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-guitars/other/alternate-reality-electric-xii/0143913305.html?clickref=1100l7EmCwId&aff_id=305950

Not sure how this slipped past everyone's NAMM reports, but it showed up on GS today in a discussion on Ricks.

I look forward to listening to the audio demo once home. The specs looks quite good overall. I'm guessing MIM based on the price?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a picture from NAMM that had one lurking in the background.

I have to say that, while I"m not exactly fussed about most headstocks, that one never worked for me.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

LOVE 12 string guitars!!!!

I used to own one of the orginal Fender XII guitars. Somebody put Schaller tuners on it, not a mistake except headstock heavy.

The original had a 4 way rotary switch. The pickups were Leo's workaround for Gibson and Gretsch having patents on humbucking pickups (yes, both companies at more or less the same time).

The late 50s P-Bass introduced the idea with the split pickups. They are in series, out of phase and reverse polarity magnets. They cancel hum but sound like single coils, it's a great idea.

The later Z model by G&L revived this design and now Fender is using it again.

Bridge on the new one is a Gotoh, I have a similar one. It's a good design, fully intonatable. I like that.

For me, the disappointment is the neck width - 1.685 at the nut is too skinny for a 12 string, at least for me. I prefer 1 7/8".

The orginal was my favorite sounding electric solid body 12 string but the Ovation electric 12s - The Deacon and the Preacher, had better necks for my use.

I have a Deacon neck and Preacher body, a project I need to finish. All the parts are there, it will be a great 12.

For those who like a slender neck this will be a great guitar. And yes, zooming in on the photo of the back of headstock clearly shows Made In Mexico.

I have a Rainsong WS3000, my Deacon Preacher project and an Ovation Pacemaker that needs just a bit of tweaking so I am set for 12 strings.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Just got home so haven't heard the demos yet, but I agree about the headstock. I had the same headstock on one or two electric mandolins (along with the Epiphone Mandobird which looked like a miniature Firebird), and didn't like it there either. Maybe it helps with double-course string sets, tension-wise?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Yikes, that audio demo sounds dreadful to me! It's just a matter of taste, so I'm not saying it's a bad product per se. I think I even preferred the Schecter Stargazer-12 that I had a few years ago. But I don't tend to care for full solid-body designs when it comes to 12-strings; including the ones from Rickenbacker. They always sound too compressed, boomy, and muddy to me.

I had a Fender Coronado 12 semi- body back in the 70's that had the hockey stick head stock. I didn't care for it but they became collectors. I just saw one on Ebay for $2,400! I think the head stock looked better on that model than it does on the XII with the Jag/Jazzmaster style solid body...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302659399953

:cool:

Take care, Larryz

Yikes, that audio demo sounds dreadful to me! It's just a matter of taste, so I'm not saying it's a bad product per se. I think I even preferred the Schecter Stargazer-12 that I had a few years ago. But I don't tend to care for full solid-body designs when it comes to 12-strings; including the ones from Rickenbacker. They always sound too compressed, boomy, and muddy to me.

Agreed, the demo is poorly done. Sadly, we are listening to a poor selection for showcasing an electric 12, played poorly and run through an ugly sounding set of effects including an overdrive.

Put that puppy through a Twin with the mids dialed back a little and a good player playing something pretty and it is probably glorious.

Yeah, as always, an overdriven demo sound obscures the innate quality of the pickups. It always amazes me that this is such a common approach with guitar demos. I turn the video off when they get to the fuzz section.

Nevertheless, I got ready to get my checkbook out when I saw the XII was back in town. Then I recalled the similarly priced Gretsch 5422-12. Within 2 seconds of hearing a demo of that I realized that would be the 12 string for me. I have a lot of Gretsches & they are the most easily playable instruments I own. So, glad to see Fender making a nostalgic 12 string again, but when I decide I need a 12, it's the Gretsch for me.

Scott Fraser

Yeah, as always, an overdriven demo sound obscures the innate quality of the pickups. It always amazes me that this is such a common approach with guitar demos. I turn the video off when they get to the fuzz section.

Nevertheless, I got ready to get my checkbook out when I saw the XII was back in town. Then I recalled the similarly priced Gretsch 5422-12. Within 2 seconds of hearing a demo of that I realized that would be the 12 string for me. I have a lot of Gretsches & they are the most easily playable instruments I own. So, glad to see Fender making a nostalgic 12 string again, but when I decide I need a 12, it's the Gretsch for me.

The only downside I see to the Gretsch is if you play up the neck much. It will never be able to be intonated correctly like the Fender. I don't recall seeing any 12 string TOM bridges, I guess there just isn't enough market to make such a complicated piece. Everybody uses the Gotoh but it wouldnt be ideal for a hollow body.

I suppose one could make a wooden top piece for the existing bridge with complete intonation. Would take some time getting the measurements but then you'd be done unless you changed string guages.

I do love those Filtertrons!!!

Well, quite a few Gretsch aficionados replace their TOM bridges with hand made solid Tru-Arc, Compton, or D Bridges, which are intonated to specific string gauges, plus have the proper radius for the neck (unlike some TOMs in my experience.) User review word on the 5422-12 is that it's properly intonated right out of the box, so with a bridge upgrade should just be that much better.
Scott Fraser

Here you go:

https://abm-guitarpartsshop.com/ABM-GUITAR-PARTS/Tuneomatic-Stoptail/12-String-Bridges/ABM-2412c-RO-Chrome::177.html?MODsid=6fc341e869d4a44f9b804a81fa9f5229

Pricey, you need to cut your own string slots, & doesn't appear to be available in gold plate, but at least it's available if a standard TOM doesn't quite get the intonation right.

Scott Fraser

+1,000 Scott! They do it with amps and pedals too LOL! I like a clean demo when I'm not looking for a dirt pedal or OD setting! :thu:

Take care, Larryz

Here you go:

https://abm-guitarpartsshop.com/ABM-GUITAR-PARTS/Tuneomatic-Stoptail/12-String-Bridges/ABM-2412c-RO-Chrome::177.html?MODsid=6fc341e869d4a44f9b804a81fa9f5229

Pricey, you need to cut your own string slots, & doesn't appear to be available in gold plate, but at least it's available if a standard TOM doesn't quite get the intonation right.

Neato! Thanks for that, it might change my approach to a 12 string project I am building. The reason they've left the string slots to the guitar tech (me) is so the string spacing can be matched to the width of the neck or the pole pieces of the pickups or the preference of the guitarist in question. It means nobody will complain because the precut spacing is incorrect. Only needs done once.

Now I want one!

Trust me, you won't get perfect intonation out of a 12 string with 6 saddles for intonation adjustment unless you use identical strings for each course and tune them in unison. A properly strung and tuned 12 string can sound fine in the cowboy chords but go up to the 15th fret and pluck some chimey bits and it's not gonna sound right. Not even close...

I suspect some reviewers just copy and paste their own boilerplate and run with it. Not guitar related but Ken Rockwell is famous for reviewing camera gear that he's never had in his hands. He can't be the only one...

Yep, I have and love the Gretsch 5422-12, except for the up-the-neck intonation issues. I actually prefer the sound of older Gretsch 12-strings to Rickenbackers overall as well.

A co-worker has a rare 12-string Stratocaster that uses Strat pickups, and it isn't at all muddy. he says the original XII was muddy like the new one appears to be, due to pickups.

Yep, I have and love the Gretsch 5422-12, except for the up-the-neck intonation issues. I actually prefer the sound of older Gretsch 12-strings to Rickenbackers overall as well.

A co-worker has a rare 12-string Stratocaster that uses Strat pickups, and it isn't at all muddy. he says the original XII was muddy like the new one appears to be, due to pickups.

Here, Scott Fraser posted this above - https://abm-guitarpartsshop.com/ABM-GUITAR-PARTS/Tuneomatic-Stoptail/12-String-Bridges/ABM-2412c-RO-Chrome::177.html?MODsid=6fc341e869d4a44f9b804a81fa9f5229

That would make your Gretsch play in tune all the way up and down the neck, nice!

The 12 string Strat is from Fender Japan. If I am not mistaken, it had a copy of the original Fender XII bridge, which has 12 intonatable saddles. Very cool guitar, I should have bought one. So it goes...

I don't recall the original 12 I had being muddy except in the switch position that ran the pickups in series.

I had an Ovation Deacon 12 string and it played fantastic but weighed a TON and was very muddy. The bridge was a solid piece of metal, machined to intonate correctly. It was pretty close.

I got it on ebay, some idiot listed it with the case for $450 buy it now so I pulled the trigger. All original, did not want to booger it so it would sound good. Way too heavy anyway.

So I flipped it for $1,300 more or less. RARE guitar, cult classic. Butt ugly to a mud fence!

Thanks -- that might be the part replacement that my guitar recommended I do at some point (*I'd have to dig out my old notes).

I'm so glad I bought the Gretsch when I did, as they made the neck narrower the following year, like a Rickenbacker.

There were other changes that year as well, and I only like the sound of mine, with the BlackTop pickups, which I think are quite good.

Just to clarify, mine was made in 2012 in Korea and is the G5422DC-12 model. I think the next year substituted "G" for "DC".

Thanks -- that might be the part replacement that my guitar recommended I do at some point (*I'd have to dig out my old notes).

I'm so glad I bought the Gretsch when I did, as they made the neck narrower the following year, like a Rickenbacker.

There were other changes that year as well, and I only like the sound of mine, with the BlackTop pickups, which I think are quite good.

Just to clarify, mine was made in 2012 in Korea and is the G5422DC-12 model. I think the next year substituted "G" for "DC".

Got it, good to know. The Korean made Gretsches are really nice. Tried to find your model - ebay had a couple in Japan but $2k is not in the budget. Reverb and Guitar Center did not have.

So it goes.

Hah; I paid at most $560 for mine! It was on blowout, to make room for the inferior newer models.

I play a lot of electric 12 string onstage, as I've mentioned to you guys many times...

When I thought my Danelectro 12 string was needing to be retired, I lucked out and came upon a Charvel Surfcaster 12. I love the Charvel because it uses the Rickenbacker approach to tuning machines (meaning that it fits in a standard guitar case and the headstock isn't huge) and I really like lipstick pickups for 12 strings... the lack of pole pieces makes sense, right? Also, for my preferences... a lot of electric 12s blow it with the pickups being too high output, which dims the treble, and a 12 string is all about the treble with the octave strings... I don't like most humbuckers that I've played with 12 strings.

A couple of weeks after that, I saw something about 12 string Strats (MIJ) going back into production!!! And, of course, that caused a lot of people who had the last batch of them in closets thinking they were an investment that would bring in huge bucks someday to put them on ebay and craigslist for sale... I almost picked one up here locally on CL for $500.

The Fender XII is certainly cool... I knew someone who inherited one from his uncle, and it was cool... but I didn't like it, really. I hate that headstock... I wish they would put the one from the Strat on the re-issue instead... it's hard enough to find a case for a 12 string to begin with, add that useless floppy section and you're stuck with using bass cases. So I'm happy this is re-issued and not totally happy at the same time. I'd maybe buy one and take off the neck and use one without the floppy headstock to actually play it.

Also, if you guys who are new to it venture into electric 12 strings... a big secret of what you've heard on recordings (in addition to compression and EQ to boost the treble and make the octave strings as loud as the normal ones) is flatwound strings... since flatwounds are "bassier" naturally that helps the octave strings stand out even more. Pyramid strings, of course, are what the 1960s folks were using and they're still around, though pricey and hard to find... but Rickenbacker makes (or brands) a set that seems pretty similar that are easily found.

Also, if you guys who are new to it venture into electric 12 strings... a big secret of what you've heard on recordings (in addition to compression and EQ to boost the treble and make the octave strings as loud as the normal ones) is flatwound strings... since flatwounds are "bassier" naturally that helps the octave strings stand out even more. Pyramid strings, of course, are what the 1960s folks were using and they're still around, though pricey and hard to find... but Rickenbacker makes (or brands) a set that seems pretty similar that are easily found.

My problem with the flatwounds I've played on jazz archtops is the thuddy attack & lack of sustain. Is that sill happening on a 12, or is that a non-issue given what you're generally using a 12 string for?

Scott Fraser

I play a lot of electric 12 string onstage, as I've mentioned to you guys many times...

When I thought my Danelectro 12 string was needing to be retired, I lucked out and came upon a Charvel Surfcaster 12. I love the Charvel because it uses the Rickenbacker approach to tuning machines (meaning that it fits in a standard guitar case and the headstock isn't huge) and I really like lipstick pickups for 12 strings... the lack of pole pieces makes sense, right? Also, for my preferences... a lot of electric 12s blow it with the pickups being too high output, which dims the treble, and a 12 string is all about the treble with the octave strings... I don't like most humbuckers that I've played with 12 strings.

A couple of weeks after that, I saw something about 12 string Strats (MIJ) going back into production!!! And, of course, that caused a lot of people who had the last batch of them in closets thinking they were an investment that would bring in huge bucks someday to put them on ebay and craigslist for sale... I almost picked one up here locally on CL for $500.

The Fender XII is certainly cool... I knew someone who inherited one from his uncle, and it was cool... but I didn't like it, really. I hate that headstock... I wish they would put the one from the Strat on the re-issue instead... it's hard enough to find a case for a 12 string to begin with, add that useless floppy section and you're stuck with using bass cases. So I'm happy this is re-issued and not totally happy at the same time. I'd maybe buy one and take off the neck and use one without the floppy headstock to actually play it.

Just mark carefully and saw it off with a hand saw. If you are good you won't even need to take the strings off. No, I am not kidding. :- D

I'm with you on the humbuckers, a friend has a Gibson ES-335-12 or some such. It's vintage and very "cool" but he gave up on the 12 string idea with it - too murky. Makes a great 6 string with a nice fat neck though.

For my Ovation solid body project I am planning on using EMG HB pickups. They were made for the Steinberger bass but are a "secret weapon" pickup for guitar. I've had one in the neck position of my 335 Studio since the late 80's and it is sweet, full and chimey. More like a Filtertron than the usual humbucker tone.

Thanks for those tidbits!

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I was going to bring up the flatwound thing, but the Dano hadn't entered the discussion in a big way yet so I was holding off. I refuse to join GS but was almost tempted to do so this week just so I could chime in (pun intended) to defend the Dano as perfectly good AS LONG AS you string it up with flatwounds. It was getting ragged on big time over there.

Although I'm too tired to go dig it out right now from its closet, my recollection is that it is semi-hollow, like some of the Rick models. I'm pretty sure it's a keeper, and I do still prefer rounds on my Gretsch 12 (I tried it with five different string sets by now). You don't know if you don't try. :-) The Gretsch also improved by putting Rickenbacker 95404 strings on it though. The Dano has La Bella 20P-12's.

I was going to bring up the flatwound thing, but the Dano hadn't entered the discussion in a big way yet so I was holding off. I refuse to join GS but was almost tempted to do so this week just so I could chime in (pun intended) to defend the Dano as perfectly good AS LONG AS you string it up with flatwounds. It was getting ragged on big time over there.

Although I'm too tired to go dig it out right now from its closet, my recollection is that it is semi-hollow, like some of the Rick models. I'm pretty sure it's a keeper, and I do still prefer rounds on my Gretsch 12 (I tried it with five different string sets by now). You don't know if you don't try. :-) The Gretsch also improved by putting Rickenbacker 95404 strings on it though. The Dano has La Bella 20P-12's.

The Dano 12s were where I learned about the Gotoh bridge, the one my friend played had the Gotoh bridge. Fully intonateable, a great piece of hardware.

Yes, semi-hollow. More of an tribute to the orginal Danelectros and Silvertones than a reproduction but it works fine. I am not a cork sniffer by any means. In the almost 50 years I've done guitar repair I've had all sorts of things in my hands and most of the highly coveted vintage guitars have serious shortcomings for my wants and needs. Some of them are fun anyway but I like guitars I don't have to worry about or baby so much. Not because I am hard on them but stuff happens and you really don't want to take a valuable vintage guitar out to play gigs so why have it?

If by GS you mean Gearslutz, I am not a member but I surf it once in a while for information. Just about every thread has one or two posters who stand out because they are sensible and not full of sh*t.

But mostly it's pretty substandard, whiners quibbling over minor details about their favorite gear that they bought and are stuck with or bold sweeping statments that have no grounding in the real world or both.

It is a slice and dice of absurd nonsense in the end. This place sort of seems like it might be partially populated by GS refugees looking for something more positive. Much better here!

My problem with the flatwounds I've played on jazz archtops is the thuddy attack & lack of sustain. Is that sill happening on a 12, or is that a non-issue given what you're generally using a 12 string for?

With an electric 12 you're fighting to have the octave strings not overpowered by the normal strings, so the thuddy attack and lack of sustain helps even that out and lets the octave strings dominate just a bit.

When I first bought a Dano Electric 12 from a buddy who moved up to Ric 12s, I had to fight to make it sound like a 12 string... I was playing through a Sovtek amp that's like a darker Bassman/Marshall... even maxing out the treble, it still mostly sounded like I was playing a slightly chorused 6 string. I tried a treble booster before a couple of young guys at a show who were Byrds fanatics came up and asked me why I didn't use a Janglebox, which I'd managed to not hear about... I ordered one the next morning. Moving to Vox amps with Top Boost channels helped a bit, too... I can't remember who suggested the flatwounds when I was setting up the Charvel, but it made a big difference on that guitar, which actually didn't immediately sound as good as the Danelectro.

And the Danos are great... just after about 15 years of gigging and having mine knocked off stages (in the case) and dropped by people helping with the load in/load out (in the case) I started pulling it out to find slivers of the body falling off, etc. I almost just bought one of the new '59 12-string incarnations but ended up wanting something a bit different instead of buying the same guitar again. Overall I think Danos are magical, really... and the old basses can sound like an upright.

With an electric 12 you're fighting to have the octave strings not overpowered by the normal strings, so the thuddy attack and lack of sustain helps even that out and lets the octave strings dominate just a bit.

When I first bought a Dano Electric 12 from a buddy who moved up to Ric 12s, I had to fight to make it sound like a 12 string... I was playing through a Sovtek amp that's like a darker Bassman/Marshall... even maxing out the treble, it still mostly sounded like I was playing a slightly chorused 6 string. I tried a treble booster before a couple of young guys at a show who were Byrds fanatics came up and asked me why I didn't use a Janglebox, which I'd managed to not hear about... I ordered one the next morning. Moving to Vox amps with Top Boost channels helped a bit, too... I can't remember who suggested the flatwounds when I was setting up the Charvel, but it made a big difference on that guitar, which actually didn't immediately sound as good as the Danelectro.

And the Danos are great... just after about 15 years of gigging and having mine knocked off stages (in the case) and dropped by people helping with the load in/load out (in the case) I started pulling it out to find slivers of the body falling off, etc. I almost just bought one of the new '59 12-string incarnations but ended up wanting something a bit different instead of buying the same guitar again. Overall I think Danos are magical, really... and the old basses can sound like an upright.

In this thread - https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3026798/little-things-that-make-a-big-difference#Post3026798 - Craig mentions that lowering your pickups will even up your string balance, something I have found to be true as well. Worth trying, costs nothing and easily put back if the results don't work for you.

I sort of accumulate original Danos, in particular the Silvertone models. I've got a thread idea that I will post once I do a bit of freshining up on one of them and take photots.

As to the new ones, I owned a Hodad with Bigsby, a Mod 7 string and a Hodad baritone. For various reasons I don't own any of them now. I LOVE the U-2 shaped (Les Paulish) baritone but the Hodad bari suffered from "neck is a whammy bar" syndrome. I found the 7tth string just sort of bugged me and a friend wanted the Bigsby Hodad so now it is his. On to the next.

I certainly won't rule out owning another one. I also like the one that mimics the vintage Mosrite Ventures body, that is a cool looking guitar for certain.