Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIDI 2.0 spec confirmed...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. That link led me to this article and the following quote from that sounds very cool to me:

'Note On and Note Off events now have a new data field that"s called an attribute, and one of the predefined attributes is pitch. But you can use it for other things.

'A manufacturer can decide to create their own attribute language, so for instance, symphonic sample libraries use the bottom octave of your keyboard for keyswitches that control articulation - but if you use articulation as the Attribute, you could have a higher-res controller where the very front of your key is pizzicato, and as you move towards the back of the key you change the articulation⦠or any other attribute of the sound."

I wonder how much of this spec will be taken advantage of by the major manufacturers. Look at their advertising; young kids making beats. A lot â maybe most â of today's commercial music doesn't need MIDI 2.0, imo. Of course I'm happy to see the progress and expanded possibilities, let's hope we see some cool hardware and software soon!

I wonder how much of this spec will be taken advantage of by the major manufacturers. Look at their advertising; young kids making beats. A lot â maybe most â of today's commercial music doesn't need MIDI 2.0, imo. Of course I'm happy to see the progress and expanded possibilities, let's hope we see some cool hardware and software soon!
On the other hand, since the Grammys a lot of folks have been making a big deal out of how the Billie Eilish record was made in a bedroom studio... maybe that means this is exactly the time to be expanding what's possible with control of software. ROLI certainly seems to be marketing heavily to the bedroom producer set, but their products are just as fun for me to apply to my life as a gigging/recording musician.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

As it was said in the article, it's up to the manufacturers to take advantage of the spec. Right off the bat, the autoconfig stuff looks like a good timesaver, e.g. connecting a control surface with sliders to a clonewheel or organ VI automatically maps the faders to drawbars. As to the creative uses of midi 2.0, I'm sure there'll be some great examples by smaller software and hardware companies. As far as the mass market, I think you can say that there are a lot of midi 1.0 features that are barely used!

I'm wondering about ROLI and the other alternate controller folk. MPE is in the midi 1.0 spec, so I suppose it will work fine with 2.0 gear as 2.0 is backwards compatible... but won't you lose the other 2.0 advantages then? Will manufacturers of these controllers come up with new firmware for them, or just newer models that are fully 2.0 - compatible? Just curious.

Head over to this thread in the Music Lab to learn more about the demonstrations of attributes and per-note controls that I saw at NAMM, as well as a link to a video of high-rez control data.

I will be talking a lot about MIDI 2.0 in that forum in the coming weeks and months.

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I asked one of the team members to see if I could do a private recording of this midi 2 spec announcements. He said, do you want the 3 or 10 hour long version! ha ha ha...it must be pretty deep!
www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

Interesting! I intended to visit that NAMM session with the demos, but it was completely full. So I guess a lot will happen in the near future.

They had two seminars. The second one was very technical. Unless you were a developer and/or a midi nerd, it was way beyond most average midi users. The first one was good though. It was more like a general information type of seminar.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

I think Midi 2.0 is a game changer, especially if one is into full expression of various musical instruments using a keyboard.

That said, I would not buy any new keyboard unless it has Midi 2.0

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

"The biggest development is the expansion from 7-bit values to 32-bit values. Mike Kent, one of the technical leaders in creating MIDI 2.0, says this is like going from the resolution of a 1980s television to the high-def televisions of today. It means that instead of 128 steps for features like volume, there will now be billions. An area where producers think this might be particularly helpful is allowing for subtle 'pitch bend' (see the video below) and controlling how much bass and treble are emphasized in every note."

"Also, with more memory, there are simply many more possible features that MIDI 2.0 can try to emulate. More memory should also reduce the chance of the timing between playing a MIDI instrument and digital recording to be slightly off. This should mean music played on MIDI 2.0 instruments will feel more analog, and make it possible for non-keyboard instruments to work better with MIDI. Historically, guitar, violin, and trumpet players have had to learn play keys in order to better translate their work through MIDI. Now, hopefully, they will be able to play their instrument of choice as an input into MIDI-compatible recording software."

[70's Songwriter]

Considering basic features of original spec, like Poly AT, are unobtanium in 2020 (nearly), we will be seeing what new 2.0 features are most fun to ignore.

In 2020 there is no full featured MIDI master controller I can think of under 40 lbs. Including Novation SL MKIII, which has POLY AT on pads but not keys. Disgusting.

Fatar....why are you lazy?

Hats off to those making the good fight!

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

I will be talking a lot about MIDI 2.0 in that forum in the coming weeks and months.

So will I, in my official capacity. I'm excited about what's happening, and am glad you're on the case!

One thing people need to realize is that the MMA wants MIDI 2.0 to last as long as MIDI 1.0. There are parts of the spec that exist for things that haven't even been invented yet :)

Thanks Mike!

I would have thought 2.0 would spark more discussion.

2.0 opens up many possibilities and improvements at several levels

Waiting to see if Yamaha/Korg can successfully implement it. 2.0 is no surprise.

[70's Songwriter]

I would have thought 2.0 would spark more discussion.

It's all down to how widely and effectively it is implemented. The specification means little or nothing in abstract, even though it holds a lot of potential. Much like MPE. Seeing that potential realized is where it all gets much more interesting. There are substantial headwinds ranging from lack of operating system and DAW support, the rise of dirt cheap and effectively disposable instrument, and basic MIDI 1.0 features like poly aftertouch and release velocity having been all but abandoned by the industry. So it's not obvious that it's going to get traction to overcome the added development and production costs for instruments that make meaningful use of it. I just hope that particularly cynical mindset isn't pervasive and we get some innovative instruments taking chances again.

I do find some encouragement in the number of small or new manufacturers who have tried to find their niche with MPE. Roli's Seaboards, the LinnStruments, the ASM Hydrasynth, and Expressive E's Osmose are all interesting. Many of them could even benefit from firmware updates to expose their more interesting attributes via MIDI 2.0 over USB.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

Korg/Roland/Yamaha tend to be conservative in their products, but all are more than capable of doing these specifications very well. But someone is going to have to decide to release the iPad digital instrument that really makes proper use of it. I suspect it will be a digital instrument and not a VA/Rompler thing. Perhaps Behringer would do something like implement it well with their new poly-AT keybed. Or maybe they will make it mandatory to put poly-AT in keyboards. Apparently the little guys can do it. My Solaris responds to release velocity and using that and the velocity to modulate the amp envelope is highly worthwhile to improve expressiveness.