Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Doepfer LMK4+ opinions?

I"m going to try to introduce MainStage in my gig rig - one more time. I"ve tried twice before, got frustrated and went back to hardware boards. Anyways, long story short, I"ve been browsing the Internets for a weighted controller and there"s one keyboard that seems to have pretty much everything I need, Doepfler LMK4+. It has 88 keys with Fatar TP/40 keybed. It has a flat top making it possible to put my upper board right on top of if and get the keyboards really close to each other. It has buttons to send program changes and a built in hard case. Just basically a no-nonsense design, and the whole package is about 50 lb (20 kg) with hard case! The only drawback is that it"s expensive, but apart from that it looks like just what I need.

Then I went to search for the forum for opinions and information on it and I can"t find almost anything! All I could find was almost 10 year old thread where Tonysounds had had bad experiences with the board hanging constantly. Other than that I can find very little feedback from users. There are some major retailers, like Sweetwater that are selling it. If it was so bad quality wouldn"t you think that they would stop selling it?! And, if there were issues you'd think that they've fixed them by now.

So, anyone with experience on recent versions of Doepfler LMK4+? Have you had issues with it? And, how does the keybed compare with the other TP/40 boards out there, like Nord Stage and StudioLogic SL88 Grand? What"s your verdict on the board?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know of any threads here, but there's some discussion at VI Control that I'll link to below:

Doepfer LMK4 overrated?

They cover a lot of alternatives in the thread, but some LMK4 users posted in it as well. As it's a composer site, though, you probably won't find out how road-worthy it is.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

That 'With a hard case' is a misnomer. Doesn"t seem road worthy against shock. It"s not a case. It"s the chassis.

It depends on how your stuff is transported.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I don't know of any threads here, but there's some discussion at VI Control that I'll link to below:

Doepfer LMK4 overrated?

They cover a lot of alternatives in the thread, but some LMK4 users posted in it as well. As it's a composer site, though, you probably won't find out how road-worthy it is.

Best,

Geoff

Thanks, I didn't know about that forum at all! It seems that Dopfler has pretty mixed reviews. I think I would want to try one out before buying. Perhaps the new Roland A88 mk2 would be an option too. Luckily I'm not in a hurry with this. It's great to have so many boards to choose from :-)

That 'With a hard case' is a misnomer. Doesn"t seem road worthy against shock. It"s not a case. It"s the chassis.

It depends on how your stuff is transported.

That's a good point. The keyboard road cases come with cushion.