Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread

Anybody have an case suggestions for the CP73 that has backpack straps? I frequently have to carry the keyboard up and down flights of stairs where a wheeled case wouldn't help, so backpack straps would make my life a lot easier.

I was thinking that this case (https://www.gatorcases.com/products/keyboard/pro-go-ultimate-keyboard-gig-bags/pro-go-keyboard/61-note-keybaord-gig-bag-g-pg-61/) might work. 42.5" x 17.5" x 7" for the case vs 42.75" x 14" x 5.6" for the CP73 though - a quarter inch longer than what the case supposedly holds. I'm thinking that the case might be able to tolerate this extra quarter inch, but that might be wishful thinking as I've never seen it in person.

keyy

The 73 seems like a dream board in many respects, for size and weight, sound quality and user friendliness, but 57 sounds?!!!! In general I prefer fewer but better sounds, but with only 57 that is mighty meager.

I bought the CP-73 because I loved my CP-4 and thought that maybe I could get away with the minimal sounds (fewer but better-oh yeah), but after getting it, and trying to use what was there I realized the CP-4 was just a better board for my needs. I didn't want to wait and hope they would put the sounds I need in their updates.

I bought a used CP-4 and I am selling the CP-73. Maybe in the future they will come out with a board similar to the CP-4 in sounds and keybed touch with 73 keys, and put the YC-61 Organ engine in that board! The organ section was always Yamaha's weak point, and now they finally produced something that truly sounds and navigates like a Hammond organ.

FWIW, I own both the CP73 and the CP88. Yes, the 88 action is more premium and elegant, and maybe it's just my imagination, but with the triple sensor, it just seems more "accurate". I have both because it's very appealing to have the option of having a lighter and smaller version (but still weighted) of the same exact keyboard. I do not have any "black key issue" with the 73 and still find the action Very playable, more so than a Nord Stage 3 88 or the tp100 in the Nord Stage 76. I had the CP73 for sale, but after doing a gig this past weekend whereas I just had to play 4 tunes, it was So much nicer to have the option of bringing the 73 and not schlepping the 88. I'm also finding the newest piano released at Namm (piano sample from the CP300), maybe becoming my favorite one, as it's got a little more "bite" in the sample compared to the cfx sample (and others on board). The 73 (and 88) with the built in audio interface is a great controller for MainStage, and so I don't mind that it doesn't have a million sounds.

So I just had the CP73 for a few days and I'm about to return it.....I'm even struggling to figure out why as I really loved it but at present it's just not the right time for me and this board. Some observations:

Keybed was great. I really liked it. Granted my main board is an MODX8 so Im used to a shallower keybed so the CP73 was meaty enough for me. I felt it was very similar to the Motif XS8/XF8 actions.

Size was great. This was one of the reasons I thought Id like it. Even though its a 73 note when its on the stand you'd nearly mistake it for a 61 note as theres no pitch wheel etc on the left like many other boards so its really compact. But I did miss the lower C note which I also missed in my old Kronos 73.

Sounds were good. I liked the pianos and the newer ones with the 1.3 update. The electric pianos are nice too but you need to put the work in to get the sound you want. It's not immediately a plug and play type keyboard if you go through lots of patches on a gig. You need to sit down, go through the pianos, effects, find what you like and save it t the setlist. However I struggled to make a really nice Richard Tees type Rhodes. Something like the "Sweetness" patch on the motif. I got close but not close enough. Im not 100% certain on this but I think there are several effects that you can use but not in tandem...so for instance I played around with the Rhodes and had a Chorus on it but Chorus and Phaser are on the one switch so I could only have one of the other but not both. Im open to correction on this. Maybe its something that they could look in an update?

The Sub section was ok. It's been improved a lot in terms of numbers of sounds with the most recent update but it still feels like they doing us a favour by putting in a few extra sounds. I know its a stage piano but many other stage pianos have lots of useful bread and butter sounds. I recognise all the new sounds as they have ported the names and sounds over from the Motif. So these are old sounds in reality. Still fine but nothing too exciting. That being said you can in effect have three Sub sections layered or three Elec pianos sections of three piano sections. So I had three different organs layered buy making the Piano and Electric piano sections a Sub section too. I got to make a fairly good Hammond sound. This takes a bit of getting used to but I didn't even have to consult the manual. It's a bit fiddly but manageable.

Build quality was really good. Nice chassis, good quality knobs and nice touches like the screen font doubling in size when you alter something, like chorus value will fill the screen until you're done and then the font return to a smaller size. Outputs on the back are nicely screwed in and the XLR outputs and 1/4 inch inputs looks very solid.

Layout was ok...im not a fan of the Nord keyboard layout as I find it cluttered. I felt similar with the CP73. Yes, it was great to have all the knobs for instant tuning and turning but I kept having to do double takes to make sure I was using the correct knob. But thats just me. YMMV.

I tried my iPad Pro with it and it was fine, just connected with a usb B to usb C cable and I had sound coming out of the CP73 and I used the mod wheel to change the volume on the iPad. Excellent.

So it's sitting in the box awaiting return. I think I'm a bit spoilt with the MODX8 in terms of sounds. With the CP73 id have to bring an ipad as well (no huge issue obviously) but its more equipment. It would be perfect for shows where I don't have too many patch changes but most of my work requires lots of patches changes and I already have that with the MODX8. At the moment I think the CP73 would be an extravagance as id only be using it once a month. I do see myself maybe reconnecting with this board down the line especially if they expand the sub section or if they come out with a YC type one in a year or two.

Anyway just thought I'd leave my thoughts here.

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

I decided, in the end, to buy second hand Nord Electro 5. I like the audio interface and form of Yamaha, but Im used to Nord sounds and they let you download the sounds you like, no firmware surprises. If Yamaha wants to compete they have to offer something more. The CP88 has super nice action, but I was not able to find any 73 model.

There are some important differences between the Electro 5/6 and the CP73 for sure, But if you dont need a dedicated organ section its much cheaper than an Electro 6HP - $1000 difference if you look at Sweetwater prices. In the UK the difference is about £400. That gets you a much nicer action than TP100 plus a load of other stuff the NE5/6 doesnt do.

Although I used the sample section a lot on the Electros I mainly used it for my own sounds. I found many of the samples in the Nord libraries a bit lacklustre - particularly the synth sounds - the mono synths for example need to be played in mono mode (which the VR09/730 can do - update CP73 firmware Yamaha?). The Nord is a very basic sample playback engine. I use Koala on my iPad. I can program a zone on the CP to play the Koala sampler and the audio comes out of the CP. What I like about the CP Other sounds is that they seem to have bit more depth (finish?) than the Electros. Plus you can always layer them by using advanced mode. So you can layer up to 3 parts from the same section eg brass + strings + synth strings. But I agree the selection is a bit limited. Just look at synth section on the VR09/730 by comparison which has hundreds of sounds.

As Im not a piano player but need to play some AP and EPs with my other sounds I find the action a good compromise.. No way will it be acceptable to someone who plays acoustic piano. Ive used a number of actions over the years including the SV1, RD64, SL73, MOXF8 but the CP73 is perfect for me.

The YC61 is their answer to the folks that want an organcentric board.

Yes, It is a good instrument. Bu I did not have chance to try 73 and the date of gig was approaching. The TP100 IS loud as hell but not that bad.

I dont use Hammond, so I really liked the for factor of Yamaha and 88 action is super nice. But I dont understand, why is instrument so restricted. For example I love Mellotron and Chamberlain sounds, so I just download them to Nord. For Yamaha You have to pray for new firmware. Why is Montage lybrary not accesible? If I could load for example Chick Corea Mark V Sample, it would be no brainer.

On the other hand, the audio interface is clever and can sort a lot of problems. Maybe I am just used to Nords too much :-)

I don't think Yamaha is trying to be Nord. You'd swear there isn't any other keyboard manufactures if you stay on this forum long enough.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

• 6 months later...

Hello,

are there any long-period CP73 users? Because as you can see on YouTube and other forums there were (but very few) users who had some issues with "newly-designed" CP73 key action. The keys got clunky after few months. Are there some pleased users of CP73 that haven't such issues :) ? Or everyone here got 88 key version :D ?

https://www.yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/keybed-issues-cp-73

Yamaha P-515, Korg SV-2 73, Kurzweil PC4-7

Hello,

are there any long-period CP73 users? Because as you can see on YouTube and other forums there were (but very few) users who had some issues with "newly-designed" CP73 key action. The keys got clunky after few months. Are there some pleased users of CP73 that haven't such issues :) ? Or everyone here got 88 key version :D ?

I've had my CP73 for over a year, it's holding up beautifully. It's my favorite stage piano hammer action, by far. My favorite feature might be the 1/4" stereo inputs with it's own gain, works like a dream with my HX3 module (and definitively solves the CP73's organ shortcomings).

Played a backline CP88 under my NE3 on a cover gig last night. Very, very nice experience, great APs, EPs, and action. Mmm. Wish I had the scratch to make multiple purchases. Would be great under that NS3C on its way.

Wish you were closer. You could borrow mine.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Played a backline CP88 under my NE3 on a cover gig last night. Very, very nice experience, great APs, EPs, and action. Mmm. Wish I had the scratch to make multiple purchases. Would be great under that NS3C on its way.

Wish you were closer. You could borrow mine.

nice offer, Jason. This pandemic induced, closed US/Canadian border would make that rather difficult however.

:nopity:

Hello,

I've had my CP73 for over a year, it's holding up beautifully. It's my favorite stage piano hammer action, by far. My favorite feature might be the 1/4" stereo inputs with it's own gain, works like a dream with my HX3 module (and definitively solves the CP73's organ shortcomings).

Thanks for your reply! Anyone else?

Maybe just a few broken units have gained world-fame because of existence of forums :)

Yamaha P-515, Korg SV-2 73, Kurzweil PC4-7

Here's my experience fwiw...I bought a CP73 last year...within a month I started hearing certain keys make clacking sounds...I got it exchanged and then it was fine. I liked the action but eventually sold it about 6 months later and bought a CP88, because I found the action a bit more piano like/refined and accurate....but still not an easy decision because I think playing rhodes and Wurly (for example) is more fun on the CP73, cause it's a faster action. I will say that I think this particular action is similar to what's found in the p series digital pianos (just not graded), and I think it's just prone to these keybed issues. My 6 yr old P35 digital piano makes really loud clacking noises that have gotten worse over time...but still works perfectly in terms of velocity response.

• 1 month later...
My CP 73 has had an issue for about a year now where the reverb depth when I'm playing an acoustic piano will slowly creep up by one click about every ten seconds, and when I'm playing an electric piano the reverb will creep down by one click about every five seconds. I've reset the board back to manufacturer settings but that didn't help. I bought the board used but it was in practically new condition--has anyone had any experience with this? Or any experience with issues that seem to just be software bugs in their boards? I don't use reverb all that much so it's not a huge issue, I'd just like to see if I can get the issue resolved.

"...and that TV channel at the hotel that's, like, ABOUT the hotel?"

Yamaha CP 73 / Numa Organ 2 / Korg Prologue 8

Weird the download doesn't work? I wonder if it's because I am using Firefox or that is the German version part of the site?

noblevibes.com

Weird the download doesn't work? I wonder if it's because I am using Firefox or that is the German version part of the site?
Polish. I went through the Cookies song-and-dance, accepted (what I assume are) terms and conditions, and the download starts fine.

Cheers, Mike.

CP73 here - love the action absolutely no problems re black notes or noises (bought August 2019). What amazes me is that despite being a weighted keyboard the action is much lighter than my NE6 with waterfall keys. More like a Wurly. But the Nord Waterfall keybed seems to be heavier than anything else on the planet - why? Damn springs! And I much prefer it to the TP/100 even if people say it's closer to a real Rhodes - they are hard work!

Downloaded 1.4 - not a lot there for me but the Sf Brass is very good - perfect for Sledgehammer. The Nashville C3 is a nice addition but I mainly use the Rhodes models. I can get closer to my favourite sounds with the CP73 than any previous boards. Such a good range of models and I can cover lots of the Donald Fagen/Steely Dan EPs and recently I've been getting quite close to Joe Zawinul's Rhodes. The drive is perfect for tunes like Palladium (Heavy Weather). But I still can't get the Phaser to sound right - which is crucial to JZ signature Rhodes sound - Mutron I think. I've ended up using the Chorus more which is really lush.

Wish List:

Monophonic Mode + Portamento - there is an excellent Mini Moog Lead (Classic Mini) but it would be a real bonus if it could be played in Mono mode with a bit of Glide! (or you could just add the very lovely Model D)

Better Organ Samples - if E-Mu could do it in the 90s with the Vintage Keys etc (16/32 Mb!!!!) then why can't Yamaha just add some better Hammond variations - 88800000 etc. (or you could add the Legend Exp or similar)/ Pity you can't add your own samples but then again it's not a Motif/MoxF/ModX - but it has got flash. Those Easy Sound organs would do the trick.

No - that won't happen now the YC61 is out.

Polish. I went through the Cookies song-and-dance, accepted (what I assume are) terms and conditions, and the download starts fine.

Cheers, Mike.

Mike still wouldn't do it? I tried two different browsers.

noblevibes.com