Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My 2020 Winter NAMM Show Report

Mike Rivers

Too big to post here, but feel free to download the PDF from my web site. Click HERE.

Feel free to discuss.

I gave up trying to get through all the halls at NAMM years ago, but geez, I need an intern. I know I saw more interesting stuff than what's in my report, but since the exhibitors aren't carrying any paper literature any more, and fewer of them are handing out press kits (most recently on USB drive), I don't have anything to remind me of what I saw except my feeble memory and an occasional business card that I've scribbled a note on as to what to look up on their web site - except for the ones where the business card is the rep and there's no mention of the manufacturer on it.

What I want to know is how can anyone in the music business afford the hotel prices in Anaheim at show time? In the past two years, the cheap places I used to stay - the Ramada and Travelodge for two - nearly triple their normal rates for the show bringing them close to $200/night, and my CFO (me) won't let me pay those prices.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too big to post here, but feel free to download the PDF from my web site. Click HERE.

Feel free to discuss.

Excellent to read, Mike, thanks for takong the time to do this. :thu:

What I want to know is how can anyone in the music business afford the hotel prices in Anaheim at show time? In the past two years, the cheap places I used to stay - the Ramada and Travelodge for two - nearly triple their normal rates for the show bringing them close to $200/night, and my CFO (me) won't let me pay those prices.

I stayed at a Quality Inn, comfortable enough but not high end by any means, and paid more than what you posted. And I got the last room available 6 weeks before the show. :idk:

:nopity:

I stayed at a Quality Inn, comfortable enough but not high end by any means, and paid more than what you posted. And I got the last room available 6 weeks before the show. :idk:

I'd go shopping for a NAMM hotel in May or June, and I was getting rooms at the Travelodge or Ramada for $75-80. Last year that doubled, and this year it went up about another 40-50%. And the hotels on the row between Harbor Drive and the Convention Center are over $400 - but you could book a room there the week before the show.

I'd thought about doing a Kickstarter to raise $1,000 for expenses to attend the show, but I'd feel kind of silly doing it. I need a wealthy sponsor. ;)