Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dr. Mike at NAMM 2020: After The Dust Settles...

Apparently one of the main things that sank the Gizmotron was wear, not an inherent flaw in the concept itself. I'll be very interested to hear how it works with bass.

Once in the pre-Ebow days, I used a vibrator (yes, that kind) on the guitar strings. Not the easiest playing technique in the world, but a definite crowd-pleaser. :)

A common trick in experimental circles, and always good for a giggle. As for the Gizmotron, I agree; the original design didn't have enough (any?) "give" when working with the mechanism. Imagine driving a car with no shocks. Not only will the ride be punishing, but the jolts will destroy the car in short order.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question: You showed some REALLY cool synths...were most of them shipping, or production prototypes?

Oh dear, such a question brings out the listmaker in me.

Prototype still very prototypey: Maker Hart EV-One "violin", Haken Slim Continuum (I believe the one at the show is the ONLY one as of now), Gamechanger Universal Sustain Pedal (they're not even sure they'll release it)

Mature in development but shipping some time away: Empress ZOIA Euroburo, Lumatone

Ready to sell but manufacturing and distribution still ramping up: Korg WaveState, Arturia Keystep Pro, Sequential Pro3, Enhancia Neova

Currently shipping: everything else on my list (including the digital harmonica!)

I should also note that the ARP 2600 FS appears to be sold out, for all intents and purposes.

Comment: I think the various threads here prove that NAMM is simply too big for one person to take it all in, because there's hardly any overlap. Next year, I think we'll need to get one person per hall doing the coverage...hmm 7 people...let's do it!

Why, that's a genius idea, Craig. Thanks for volunteering to take Hall C with the drums and orchestral instruments while I take Hall B with the keyboards, that's very sweet of you. We need to make sure that whoever gets Hall A spends sufficient time breathing DJ smoke, and that whoever gets Hall E speaks fluent Chinese and is very interested in guitar body cutting machines and bulk tonewood lumber. :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I'll take Hall E ("Chinatown"), it had some really cool stuff and also the usual really weird things. I still think the Bluetooth shoes were cool because of their complementary nature to IEMs.

Hall C is great! In the immortal words of Reek Havok, "You can never have enough drums playing different songs at the same time."

As to Hall A...look on the bright side, all the smoke stuff is water-based. The oil-based machines were n-a-s-t-y.

Wonderful report, Dr. Mike - you have the best words...

Perhaps, but I rarely get them all in the proper order. I have similar problems with musical notes....

I'll take Hall E ("Chinatown"), it had some really cool stuff and also the usual really weird things. I still think the Bluetooth shoes were cool because of their complementary nature to IEMs.

Hall C is great! In the immortal words of Reek Havok, "You can never have enough drums playing different songs at the same time."

As to Hall A...look on the bright side, all the smoke stuff is water-based. The oil-based machines were n-a-s-t-y.

Oh, I have horrid memories of those, yes. And "Chinatown" got a lot less interesting when folks like Hangzhou Worlde and Hotone and Joyo moved upstairs... and Smarvo stopped attending entirely. SMARVO, BABY!