Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland Facet Grand Piano

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this anonymous rant on another Forum:

"Briefly tuned in to the Grammys. An attractive woman with a lovely voice played a very strange Roland electric piano designed to look like a grand piano, she sang a song with three chords, a boring pentatonic melody that incorporating many useless melismas and I couldn"t understand one word of the lyrics, so there was no story. Is it any wonder I dislike todays pop music and feel alienated from the modern world. "

melismas :

a group of notes sung to one syllable of text.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Anybody tried out one of these?

It was on display at NAMM but not available to be played

Indeed - don't know about you Dave but I thought it was as ugly as sin....

melismas :

a group of notes sung to one syllable of text.

Good to know I guess. I've always just called it vamping or soulful singing.

Loved the song and the delivery, and when she whipped out a guitar lead at the end it blew me away Sunday night! Probably my favorite moment of the whole show. It's on the video if you didn't watch the Grammys (and many didn't this year.)

There were Rolands all over that night. At first I thought they were sponsors, but then I spotted a couple of Yamahas - and Billie Eilish's brother Finneas accompanied her on what appeared to be a real acoustic upright. No showcase pieces for any of the pianos that I recall - just accompaniment for vocals. So... not enough there to say anything about sound of the Facet - for me anyway.

That looks amazing, hope it sounds as good and they put it into production

I think they said they are going to make ten of them and price is a quarter million dollars.

Kind of like the Korg Arp 2600 they are making a thousand of them and that's it at @$4000 each. I heard all pre-orders were filled before NAMM was even over.

Anybody tried out one of these?

It was on display at NAMM but not available to be played

Which is why I found it so funny when my friend Lars jumped up on the platform after the pre-NAMM press conference and starting banging away on it. Nice sound and feel, apparently, but YMMV.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music