Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Precision is overrated.

CEB

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it!!!!

Obviously he can play. Just searching for that "thang", the audience appears to be enjoying it.

Doing things "properly" is all well and good but somebody gotta put on a show too.

I saw Keith Emerson with ELP and Jon Lord with Deep Purple.

They were not nice to their Hammonds but it was a high point of show.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I remember seeing NRBQ sometime in the mid-to-late-80's at a street fest in Chicago... didn't know what to make of them. I thought Adams-- at that time, as I recall, playing piano-- had to have been so sloppy drunk to be playing as sloppily as he did. Apparently that's his spiel.

I'm not sure if my favorite part is that he's making the other band members laugh, or those two women to the right side whose dancing cannot be stopped by his atonal, arhythmic explorations. "We hope you enjoy our new direction."

Anyone want to take on a transcription? :roll:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I must admit that Terry Adam is an influence on my piano approach though I always needed work so I don"t take the 'The Piano is a collection of 88 drums' approach as far outside as he does.

Another NRBQ classic.

[video:youtube]

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Its like watching Animal from Sesame Street's Dr. Teeth band if he was the keyboardist. Still coherent enough by my standards, though, such as they are. :rimshot:

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

Ed, I have to LOL because I didn't read this until now even though I kept seeing the thread title. If it WASN'T you, I would have thought it was just another cover band guy trying to make excuses for not being able to actually play the part and preaching the virtues of "making it my own"....but since it was YOU, I knew that wasn't the case, so I was mildly curious. Then I finally clicked. Nice thread.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Terry Adams is one of the biggest geniuses of undiscovered talent. I think there was a thread on this a few years back.

One of my favorites is from SNL (you have to watch it to his solo at the very end):

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Yeah. I probably started that one also ð. I post too much s***. I forget what I already posted and probably repeat myself. But the goofy solo in the OP was new to me. It hit my YouTube feed.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Terry Adams is one of the biggest geniuses of undiscovered talent. I think there was a thread on this a few years back.

One of my favorites is from SNL (you have to watch it to his solo at the very end):

The video in the original post missed the mark for me, but this one from SNL was genuine energy! Jerry Lee would be proud.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

I much prefer the SNL clip. Adams seems to have been avant-garde icing on a great-grooving band. I first became familiar with NRBQ from Rolling Stone praising them to high heavens in their 80's reviews, but it wasn't enough to put them over the top as was the case with REM, U2, SRV etc. I myself wasn't intrigued enough to blow my hard-earned money on a tape, but from listening to their backup of Johnnie Johnson on his 90's "Johnnie Be Bad" they became one of my favorite rhythm sections. Their guitar player purely obliterated poor old EC who phoned it in on his guest spots.

Longtime NRBQ fan. Finally got to see them around 6 years ago at the theater in Franklin, TN. The lineup like in 'Music Goes Round & Round' video above.

Absolutely the best, most funnest, most musical good time I"ve ever been too.

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

I don't like it. The first word that came to mind watching that first clip was Jackass. Maybe late at night at an extra-drunk frat party I guess, but even then...

Reminds me of a star-studded video tribute to Roy Orbison that was going around 20 years ago or so where Tom Waits did something similar on a Wurly; just bashing on the keys with his forearms. BFD.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

The world owes Terry Adams much, including being largely responsible for lifting The Shaggs out of obscurity.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Can't believe this thread is still going on.

In his immortal classic, "I'm The Guy Who Found The Lost Chord," Jimmy Durante says "I found it by sittin' on the piano keyboard. Very strange, I usually play by ear." Happy to help.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"