Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2019-2020, 100th Season Thread

When the Texans went up 24-0 I was thinking the bye week cursed the AFC 1st round seeds. :laugh:

All it took was a nice kick return to get the Chiefs motivated to turn the tide.

I didn't expect the Chiefs to run off a 51-7 beat down. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

KC's Mahomes is the best QB in football, Lamar Jackson not withstanding. Both of those men have shown amazing growth since last season. Lamar is fun to watch play the game. I'm concerned that he takes too many hits. All it takes is one major injury to end his career, I would hate to see him get hurt, Mahomes can run and gets out of bounds,

Lamar was a stand up guy after the game, no excuses. I admire players that are not full of themselves like Antonio Brown. Men like Lamar is what the NFL needs, not the Browns of the world. The Performance by Mahomes was the most amazing show I ever saw on a football field.

The playoff games this season were some of the best games we've had in years.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

That was a painful game to watch. :facepalm:

Even though the Packers outscored the 49ers 20-10 during the second half, it was far short of what was needed to overcome the 27-0 first half drubbing.

Congrats to our Niners and Chiefs fans. The better teams won today.

Looking forward to a competitive Super Bowl with two strong teams.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I listened and watched a number of Pre Conference title game predictions by the national sports shows. Most of them pick the "Favorites" by the Vegas line. But there were a few surprises this season. I did not expect the Ravens and the Saints to lose in the first round, much less get their butts handed to them. :facepalm:

As much as Nick on First things first annoys me with his "absolutes" game predictions, he was right when he said that the Titans would need more than 24 points to beat the Chiefs. They are a scoring machine. They are the first team to stop Henry in the playoffs. They tackled well, and his longest run was 13 yards. Several Sports programs were saying the Packers didn't have enough weapons to beat the 49ers and they didn't. I don't like very much about San Fran or their coaching "brothers" but the game was over by half time. Too bad, I would have preferred the Packers to win.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Thanks, Mike.

I think the main weakness San Francisco exposed of Green Bay was on defense. It's true that the Packers' defense improved enough this year to be responsible for a number of the team's wins; but the 49ers showed us that while Green Bay's pass defense was strong, their run defense was vulnerable. San Francisco ran the ball on most playsâand on every play for over a quarterâand the Packers couldn't stop them, even when they knew the run was coming.

Green Bay needs work on offense too. The running game with Aaron Jones is the best in over a decade, but gone are the days when Aaron Rodgers had three elite receivers (Jordy Nelson, Davante Adams, and Randall Cobb) to throw to. Now, only Adams is left; and of course, Rodgers seems to be past his prime as well.

All of that said, the Packers went from 6-9-1 to 13-3 and got as far as the NFC Championship game under rookie coach Matt LaFleur. That result exceeded almost everyone's expectations. Considering the final goal of a Super Bowl victory, every team but one has a disappointing outcome; but other than by that measure, this season was a success for the Green Bay Packers.

Best,

Geoff

... the Packers went from 6-9-1 to 13-3 and got as far as the NFC Championship game under rookie coach Matt LaFleur. That result exceeded almost everyone's expectations.
Talk about exceeding expectations. 49ers went from 4-12 last season (2nd worst record in the NFL) to 13-3 this season, then won their 2 playoff games by 17-point margins to get to the Superbowl. Just can't get no respect.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

... the Packers went from 6-9-1 to 13-3 and got as far as the NFC Championship game under rookie coach Matt LaFleur. That result exceeded almost everyone's expectations.
Talk about exceeding expectations. 49ers went from 4-12 last season (2nd worst record in the NFL) to 13-3 this season, then won their 2 playoff games by 17-point margins to get to the Superbowl. Just can't get no respect.

Oh the 49ers have my respect (in fact, I think I made that clear); but they don't have my focus, as I am a diehard Packers fan.

Your point is correct that San Francisco exceeded expectations even more than Green Bay did. That said, I'm still going to take solace that the Packers had a very good season. If I can't be happy when Green Bay makes the final four, I'm not going to be happy very often.

Best,

Geoff

I missed this one:

Jason Garrett joins Giants as new offensive coordinator

And people are reading a lot into Philip Rivers's choice to move across the country to Florida:

Philip Rivers 'permanently' moves out of San Diego, signaling possible split with Chargers

(His contract with the Chargers has expired.)

Best,

Geoff

Oh the 49ers have my respect (in fact, I think I made that clear); but they don't have my focus, as I am a diehard Packers fan.

Your point is correct that San Francisco exceeded expectations even more than Green Bay did. That said, I'm still going to take solace that the Packers had a very good season. If I can't be happy when Green Bay makes the final four, I'm not going to be happy very often.

I wasn't putting your Packers fandom down. As an old Badger, I've always loved the Packers, the only NFL team owned by a town. A long time ago, I played gigs in Green Bay. Not much there in frozen northern Wisconsin. I'm a cheesehead at heart but I've been in the SF Bay Area for 44 years and been a 49ers fan since the Joe Montana/Bill Walsh days. It's been painful the last few seasons to not have a team to get excited about. And now this season and nobody gives the Niners much credit ... until they're in the Superbowl.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Small world. My dad was a faculty member, briefly, at UW before landing at ASU. We left the Madison area for good after the '69-'70 academic year.

Even though I lived in Wisconsin during the Lombardi era, the Packers didn't become my favorite team until the Rams left LA. At that point, I decided to root for Green Bay, not only because they were a home team from my childhood, but because they were the only NFL team that's guaranteed not to relocate. Now that the Rams have returned to LA, they're my second favorite team.

I'm a bit unusual in that I don't hate division rivals. My favorite NBA teams are the Suns and Lakers, for example; and even though the Dodgers are my favorite MLB team, I also like the Giants. As I result, I'm happy to give respect to the 49ers. Even as far back as the John Brodie days, they were a worthy adversary for the Rams; and since the Joe Montana/Steve Young era, they've eclipsed the Rams as the team most likely to dominate the NFC West, not to mention the times they've dominated the entire league.

We do tend, in these annual NFL threads, to focus on the teams we're fans of; and up until now, we haven't had much participation from 49ers fans. You're welcome, of course, to stick around and change that. ;)

Best,

Geoff

I hate football fans on Facebook. Fans groups suck. People are assholes to players. I or my kids never played pro ball but my kids know and played with kids in the NFL. Those guys are people"s kids. Mean people suck.

That"s all.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Small world. My dad was a faculty member, briefly, at UW before landing at ASU. We left the Madison area for good after the '69-'70 academic year.
My dad was also a faculty member at UW. We moved to Madison in '61, I left in '67, but my parents stayed there until the end of their lives. Once a Badger, always a Badger. My ex-wife was also a Madisonian. Even though she's lived in St. Louis since the early 70's, she never took to the football Cardinals nor the Rams. She rooted for the Packers in the championship game. It's been an unusual year for football.

I hate football fans on Facebook. Fans groups suck. People are assholes to players. I or my kids never played pro ball but my kids know and played with kids in the NFL. Those guys are people"s kids. Mean people suck.

That"s all.

You're right. Those guys are people"s kids. I wish people would treat others with more kindness.

I really appreciate that aspect of this forum. It's certainly an oasis of civility and kindness.

Best,

Geoff

I'm glad Eli Manning decided to hang up his cleats and retire rather than go to another team and/or be a backup/mentor.

Eli should be relatively healthy. He has plenty life left to live. With two (2) Super Bowl rings and about 57k passing yards, his ticket to Canton has been punched.

However, the season isn't quite over yet. Next week, there's going to be a showdown in Miami between the Chiefs and 49ers. I'm expecting a great game. I still think the Chiefs will win the Lombardi trophy. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I was in a Chicago Bears Facebook group, and there was a decent amount of analysis and strategy and intelligence, but there was definitely some of the "_____ sucks! Get rid of him!" thing, which is so banal and useless and mean and knee-jerk. No one gets anything out of posts like that, and it just brings down the collective intelligence of the group.

I'm glad Eli Manning decided to hang up his cleats and retire rather than go to another team and/or be a backup/mentor.

Eli should be relatively healthy. He has plenty life left to live. With two (2) Super Bowl rings and about 57k passing yards, his ticket to Canton has been punched.

However, the season isn't quite over yet. Next week, there's going to be a showdown in Miami between the Chiefs and 49ers. I'm expecting a great game. I still think the Chiefs will win the Lombardi trophy. :cool:

I wasn't surprised that he retired either, and it's a good move for him. I suppose he could be a mentor in some capacity.

And I often have a feeling about who is going to win, but really, I have no idea for this upcoming Super Bowl. Two really good teams going at it. Not sure at all. And I kinda like both teams as well, so there's that.

I really admire Eli Manning's clutch playing in two playoff runs (when it mattered most to his team), his character, and his quiet leadership. He was everything a Giants fan could possibly ask for.

But I also watched him enough to assess how good he was, outside of those 8 wonderful postseason games during his two Super Bowl runs. Regular season performance matters for HOF inclusion. He never finished in the top 5 in Passer Rating for a single season, a single stat which attempts to factor in multiple other stats to try to give a single measure of overall performance. Even worse, he only finished once in the top 10 in Passer Rating: he was 7th in 2011. He only once appeared in the top 5 in yards per attempt - also in 2011, when he was 4th. He never finished higher than 9th in passing completion percentage. He comes in stronger for total passing yards, with 3 "top 5" finishes - he was 4th in 2011, and 5th in 2 other years, but never in the top 3.

The career passing yards stat is misleading. The game has changed: in 1990 only one QB passed for over 4000 yards, but in 2019 eleven QBs did this. If you were to consider Eli as still active, then 5 of the top 8 in career passing yards are still active. Outside of Tom Brady, I would not consider any of them better than Elway (#9), Montana (#20), or Unitas (#21). And the stats support this.

Perhaps Eli Manning had similar value for the Giants as what Paul O'Neill had for the Yankees baseball team (but without O'Neill's temper!). They were both very good players who came through in the clutch, the kind of players that sports fans pray will be on their team, because they are the type of players who help win championships. But I would not vote for either one to be in the HOF for their respective sports.

report-chargers-have-moved-on-from-qb-philip-rivers

The few games I watched Rivers play this season led me to believe it's time for him to hang up his cleats. Nevermind that he messed up my Fantasy Football numbers too. :laugh:

The TD-INT stat is a telling one. But, to see Rivers throw those horrible passes that became INTs was painful to watch. His arm strength isn't the same either.

Rivers could very well have another 1-2 years left to play while a team grooms their future QB. I wouldn't a expect a playoff caliber season though. :cool:

PD

It's been hard to focus on football after the helicopter crash that killed Kobe Bryant, his daughter, and seven other passenger's last Sunday before the Pro Bowl.

Regardless, the Super Bowl will happen just two days from now. Most of the hoopla running up to the event has been eclipsed, or at least toned down because of the tragedy.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of those affected.

Best,

Geoff

Loca, La Tortura, Rabiosa, Whenever Wherever, Hips... Shakira has had some of the most enduring Latin tracks... ever. As a DJ I can safely mix her into practically any kind of night and get great response.

It will be interesting to see what kind of show she puts on. For a pop star she's getting up there... but no matter what, I'll be into it.

This game looks almost like a pick 'em. KC favored by 1 to 1 1/2... Should be great.

Between the two (2) teams:

The 49ers defense and running game could keep it close.

But, I'm expecting the Chiefs to come out in attack mode, get an early lead and never look back.

Either way, I expect Super Bowl LIV to be a good game. :cool:

PD

This game looks almost like a pick 'em. KC favored by 1 to 1 1/2... Should be great.
Latest line today is Chiefs by 1 1/2 ... down from 2 points a few days ago. Yeah, should be a great game. But to quote Fats Waller "one never knows, do one?"

According to ESPN's Around the Horn, top five passing offenses have met top five passing defenses 14 times in past Super Bowls; and top five passing defenses have a record of 9-5 in those games. That favors the 49ers in this game.

That said, Patrick Mahomes could be above average among the quarterbacks of top five passing offenses that have made the Super Bowl. (Of course, that list should include Elway, Young, Rodgers, Manning, Marino, Montana, Brady, Favre, etc., so it's hard to say for sure.) If so, perhaps the Chiefs will prevail; but considering the stat I opened with, I've got to think their odds are 50/50 at best.

Here's another stat: the 49ers have 57 sacks. In the last 15 years, six teams have entered the Super Bowl with 55 sacks or more. All six teams have won.

Best,

Geoff