Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone want to help this person with their MOXF8?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand her frustration. My church has one, and I hate it. You turn it on, and hit a note, expecting it to start with piano, and it is some really loud obnoxious pattern. My Yamaha MM8 you start it up, and get the piano right away.

I have no idea why Yamaha decided to do something different.

As far as helping with it, I have not spent enough time with it to be even slightly comfortable

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Oh my goodness. A Craigslist post for the ages.

As much as I want to laugh at this person, we all can have our tech troubles. A drummer I work with and I were trying to set up another drummer's electronic sample pad for a low-volume living room rehearsal. We got the green light to borrow the pad, but neither of us had ever used it before, so there was a lot of trial and error with which cable goes where, how to find a kit that sounded right, how to trigger crash cymbals, how to activate the attached kick trigger, etc.

Then as we were scrolling through sample sets, one of them started looping a very loud montuno groove, with congas, guiro, salsa piano, the whole bit. The two of us, two grown men in our 30s and 40s, one of whom is a technology professional, could not figure out how to make it stop. We had to power the thing down and turn it back on again. It was truly a sight to behold.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Wonder what older Yams she found so much easier? My experience historically they've all been pretty challenging to work with. I've had a DX7, an S-80 and an MOXF8 which has been relegated in my rig to the role of strictly a bottom-board/controller for the piano parts in my Korg Kronos' combis, with the Korg as my sole sound source. I actually miss some of the sounds on the MOXF8, a few of them (notably sax) I think are superior to those on the Kronos, but for me the simplicity of this setup makes it worth the compromise.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

I can understand her frustration. My church has one, and I hate it. You turn it on, and hit a note, expecting it to start with piano, and it is some really loud obnoxious pattern.

Yes, I remember my first experience with the MO-X. I plugged it in, turned it on, hit a note, and heard a "loud obnoxious pattern" -- and because I didn't yet know what front panel button did what, I couldn't stop it! I had to pull the plug, so to speak, to get it to shut up. Not a great first impression. Kind of like going up to a pretty girl, starting a conversation, and having her belch in return.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)