Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

[OT] Advice for Jazz in Paris?

In the city of light in February and hoping to catch some jazz. Unfortunately, it would be a weeknight (possibly a Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday) as my two weekends are taken.

Are there clubs you would recommend? I expect to be in/near the 3rd arrondisement but willing to travel. I am particularly hopeful to hear jazz on violin or guitar or accordian, but really anything with the French flair would be a delight. Thanks in advance for any advice you might offer. ð

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife and I asked for directions to a jazz club when we were in Paris on our honeymoon back in May. We found a cozy little cabaret (well, "restaurant with an upright piano") not far from Notre Dame, but it wasn't so much jazz as showtunes and classical piano. Unamplified, though, and very impressive! If I can remember the name of it I'll edit this post.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Well

There are three very nice jazz clubs IMO

Sunset/Sunside is one with twi separate stages and it brings the best of the French and American jazz. I saw there Jackie Terrasson a month ago and countless others over my visits in Paris

Not far from them (they reside on the same building one is ground floor and the other is basement) you can find Le Dudc Des Lombards with equally good program

They both have quite helpful sites.

They all are in Chatelet area in the heart of the city centre

Have a good visit

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Yes that's right, the New Morning is the most famous Jazz club in Paris, but big acts play there very often, and then you have to book tickets in advance, otherwise the place is very quickly full and you'll not get in if you go there spontaneously. But it's worth checking it in any case!

When I worked in Paris doing Intl. Banking Software support I always stayed at the Meridien hotel that always had great Jazz, like 2+ hours of solo pianists back to back sort of Jazz..was a while ago though...but looks like they still do!

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-information/parmd-le-meridien-etoile/

https://www.jazzclub-paris.com/

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Nice link there. I see that Rick Margitza plays every Monday at a place called "La Gare." Rick is a great sax player, he worked with Miles Davis among many others, and has recorded over 10 CDs as a leader. This club appears to be in the 19th arrondissement, not too far from the 3rd â google says 15 minutes of walking and a 10-minute subway ride.

One thing about Rick (or, I would guess, many other jazz musicians in Paris), however - I would not expect to hear jazz with a "French flair" on violin or guitar or accordian. Tusker, I might be wrong but it sounds like you want to hear "Gypsy Jazz" a la Django Reinhardt & Stephane Grappelli? I don't know the scene in Paris but I'll guess that might be hard to come by unless you find a place more oriented to entertaining tourists, sort of like hearing New Orleans jazz in New Orleans.

I saw Magrizza a couple months ago in Sunside. Certainly not your average 'French Jazz musette' player ;) He was playing with Ben Sidran. Very nice player and looked very humble
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Here I am playing with Rick 30 years ago!! I'm doing synth pads behind Eliane Elias. Dig the hair â yes, definitely the 80s! This was a shoot for a Japanese video disk.

That's Lincoln Goines on bass and Steve Ferrone on drums. Sorry to say I don't remember the guitarist's name - he was added just for this shoot.

[video:youtube]

Here I am playing with Rick 30 years ago!! I'm doing synth pads behind Eliane Elias. Dig the hair â yes, definitely the 80s! This was a shoot for a Japanese video disk.

That's Lincoln Goines on bass and Steve Ferrone on drums. Sorry to say I don't remember the guitarist's name - he was added just for this shoot.

Sweet! Love Elaine Elias. Her Waltz for Debby was on frequent rotation in our family car trips when my daughter was little. And my daughter (now flown off) would know the song was about her. Ha! Reeze, you are deep man. :thu: What a breath of experiences you have had! No question Rick Margitza would be fun to see. I'll take a look.

I live near NYC and think myself incredibly lucky to able to regularly see players like Barry Harris, Vincent Herring, Fred Hersch, etc. Great players steeped in American jazz vocabulary are blowing the roof off the usual places on any given week. You probably know exactly what that feels like. I'm just looking for something different. :)

Now I know what you meant by your original post. Yes, hearing Rick in Paris might not be much different than what you can hear almost any night in NYC! Good luck, I hope you find some good sounds while you're there!

PS - if you ever see Eliane play and talk to her at the meet & greet, make sure you say her name right! She hates it when people call her ELAINE. It's ELIANE â (EL-EE-AH-NEE)!! :)