Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Getting a Vox AC sound.

surfergirl

We have 2 or 3 songs I would like to have a AC sound for. Here are my 3 options.

1: I have a Vox VT40 that I could drag along. It weighs 20 lbs and take up space in the van.

2: A Wampler AC Pedal, $175. and up on Reverb.

3: A Joyo AC tone which I found for about $25. Including shipping.

I don't know anything about Joyo pedals, are they any good. I guess considering the price it's not much of a risk.

Jenny S.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would add the Tech 21 Liverpool pedal to the top of that list.

They make excellent stuff, it is probably the closest you will get to the real thing without lugging the real thing.

I did a local craigslist swap and ended up with a converted Hi Fi amp cloned with the circuit from the Top Cut channel of the original Vox AC15 from 1958.

The work is good, it is a sweet amp. Uses an EF86 preamp tube like the original. Same EL84s, same rectifier tube.

Probably not identical but it has that Vox tone.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

We have 2 or 3 songs I would like to have a AC sound for. Here are my 3 options.

1: I have a Vox VT40 that I could drag along. It weighs 20 lbs and take up space in the van.

2: A Wampler AC Pedal, $175. and up on Reverb.

3: A Joyo AC tone which I found for about $25. Including shipping.

I don't know anything about Joyo pedals, are they any good. I guess considering the price it's not much of a risk.

Try that Joyo AC Tone, especially as it's for three songs right now; if it's good enough, score! If it's almost good enough, flip it, trade it, give it to someone, or keep it as a sort of spare/back-up, and try the Wampler 30 Something/Ace 30. You've got that VT40 to compare the pedals with, right?

If you're not satisfied with either of those pedals, you can sell or trade 'em, and then lug the VT40 around.

I would add the Tech 21 Liverpool pedal to the top of that list.

They make excellent stuff...

TROOF.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

One of the coolest sounds I ever got in the shop was the Les Paul Special ( twin P90s) into the Wampler Ace Thirty Pedal into a 50 watt Boogie. But it wasn"t a sound I would have used at the time. Ace Thirty and Thirty Something are the same pedal. Korg sent Brian a cease and desist letter because they owned the Ace Thirty name. It was an old product I wasn"t familiar with. I think it may have been a combo organ.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

One of the coolest sounds I ever got in the shop was the Les Paul Special ( twin P90s) into the Wampler Ace Thirty Pedal into a 50 watt Boogie.

Oh, man!! I once plugged the P-90 "soap-bar" equipped Les Paul that I used to have, into an all-original, freshly NOS re-tubed '60s vintage Vox AC-50 head and 2x12 cab, and MAN, WHAT A SOUND!! Beautiful Big, fat, warm, rather round, super clean, but rich with subtle harmonic-overtones. It was... a bit more than I could afford. And it was largely a one sound kinda amp, but WHAT a sound! P-90s into a good Vox amp are BEAUTIFUL. :love::cool:

Korg sent Brian a cease and desist letter because they owned the Ace Thirty name. It was an old product I wasn"t familiar with. I think it may have been a combo organ.

Korg also owns Vox now, I believe... so it wasn't just the old product name they were trying to stop, it was the similarity to the name of a product that his pedal did a very good job of emulating.

Surfergirl, as others have mentioned, that Joyo sounds like the ticket for the price... I have Vox amps, and I have a Tech 21 Liverpool pedal that sounds just like them, so if you happen upon one of those it's a great option.

On a similar note, I love this Lovepedal JTM pedal I bought in one of his flash sales for very cheap... it makes my Supros sound like Marshal JTMs... makes me very happy.

You might also consider an all in one pedal unit where you will nit be limited in either features or in this case Amp and Cab modelling.

I have a Boss GT 100, and a Zoom G1X Four both have plenty of amp patches.

Overall far better vfm than a mass of pedalunits.

Col

I order the Joyo from Aliexpress. I missed out on the $25, but got it for $30. with free shipping. There where some great options, but my budget for this year kinda made it an easy decision.

Bestaluck! Keep us posted!

And that's a GREAT deal!

I order the Joyo from Aliexpress. I missed out on the $25, but got it for $30. with free shipping. There where some great options, but my budget for this year kinda made it an easy decision.

Have fun with your new pedal!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

So, surfergirl- Checking out some videos of that Joyo AC Tone pedal, it sure sounds good and has some great features! I'm impressed! ESPECIALLY for that low price!

Here's a good one I ran across:

[video:youtube]

This one is interesting and might be helpful and useful, too:

Its controls are apparently VERY interactive; just small adjustments here and there can make huge differences, going from a sound I don't like, to a sound that I like very much. Of course, someone else might have the exact opposite preferences! You might have a LOT of knob-twiddling ahead of you. :crazy: But, it will be time well spent!

I have to wonder, if you might want to try that pedal in your amps effects-loop, as well as the more usual placement in line in front of the amps input.

And, you have a Keeley compressor pedal, right? Experiment with that, in front of or even after the Joyo AC Tone.

Man, this is making me want a Twelve-String Electric plugged into one of my compressor pedals and a Vox amp or pedal like this... !! :rawk:

Bestaluck, and enjoy! And mos def keep us posted!

Keep us posted on how well the new pedal works out! I think you made the right decision and look forward to your review...Have fun with it! :thu:

Take care, Larryz

@Caevan, yes I do have the Keeley compressor. I will work with it to see where it fits best. I probably won't get it for a few weeks. I guess they close for a week for spring festival, and when they get back they will probably be backed up with orders.

Jenny S.

• 1 month later...
Apparently they were backup with everything going on, but it finally arrived a week ago. I'm a little overwhelmed by by the 6 knobs, may take some experimenting on my part. I'm going to try it in different places, right now the only sure thing is the Tremolo and delay in the loop. I'm working a non music side project for the next few weeks, so will be a while till I figure it out.
Jenny S.

Apparently they were backup with everything going on, but it finally arrived a week ago. I'm a little overwhelmed by by the 6 knobs, may take some experimenting on my part. I'm going to try it in different places, right now the only sure thing is the Tremolo and delay in the loop. I'm working a non music side project for the next few weeks, so will be a while till I figure it out.

This video is interesting and might be helpful and useful to you, as well.

Its controls are apparently VERY interactive; just small adjustments here and there can make huge differences, going from a sound I don't like, to a sound that I like very much. Of course, someone else might have the exact opposite preferences! You might have a LOT of knob-twiddling ahead of you. :crazy: But, it will be time well spent!

Bestaluck, and enjoy! And mos def keep us posted!