Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

73/76 key ultimate gig-board

Still a niche in the market in my view. Here"s the spec for the ultimate all in one gig board (in my opinion)

- 73/76 keys with decent semi-weighted keyboard (think Roland VR, EP, Yamaha NP etc)

- vast repertoire of bread and butter sounds

- ability to split/layer up to 16 with overlapping zones

- useful features like usb audio recording, 16 track sequencer, samples pads etc

- two pairs of stereo outputs for routing different layers/zones as required

- XLR outs for sending stereo piano direct to the desk

- internal power supply with C14 connection

- weight kept at 10kg if possible

There are a variety of contenders out there that meet some of the above criteria but lack the full zoning and feature set needed, eg

Roland FA07

Korg Krome EX 73

Roland Juno DS76

There are others that meet some other features but lack the flexibility to be an all in one gig board, eg

Korg Vox Continental 73 - nice weight, great design, XLR outs but minimal zoning capability and external power supply

Kurzweil Artis 7 - nice zoning, internal AC but weight creeping up to 12kg and basic feature set

Roland VR730 - great action, weight and sounds with battery powered option but again lacking in zoning features

I feel we are getting closer to a manufacturer bringing out the ultimate lightweight all round gig board that isn"t red, Swedish and overpriced (again, in my opinion!)

I suspect I will end up just going the two keyboard route with one of the above 73/76ers and the Kross 61 but we shall see

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weight challenges internal PSU. That 10kg/22lb maximum does limit the choices. I think Electro 73 just makes it under 22lb with an internal PSU, but fails on zoning and other characteristics. Almost all other 73/76s have external power supplies, or are heavy (Montage, Fantom), or hammer-action (Korg SV, GrandStage, Kronos, Yamaha CP73).

On a broader note, I would disagree with some of your priorities. If it's a "gig machine", why is USB recording so important? You could argue the same about a sequencer (depending on the nature of your performance). I would say that a full organ model with 9 drawbars, percussion and C/V rank higher than XLR outs (which can be easily added with a DI box).

And I'm not sure we're getting closer to your spec. Look at the newcomers on the scene: Yamaha CP and YC, Korg SV2, for example, aren't 16-part multitimbral, but they're great gig machines - depending on the gig.

Cheers, Mike.

Weight challenges internal PSU. That 10kg/22lb maximum does limit the choices. I think Electro 73 just makes it under 22lb with an internal PSU, but fails on zoning and other characteristics. Almost all other 73/76s have external power supplies, or are heavy (Montage, Fantom), or hammer-action (Korg SV, GrandStage, Kronos, Yamaha CP73).

On a broader note, I would disagree with some of your priorities. If it's a "gig machine", why is USB recording so important? You could argue the same about a sequencer (depending on the nature of your performance). I would say that a full organ model with 9 drawbars, percussion and C/V rank higher than XLR outs (which can be easily added with a DI box).

And I'm not sure we're getting closer to your spec. Look at the newcomers on the scene: Yamaha CP and YC, Korg SV2, for example, aren't 16-part multitimbral, but they're great gig machines - depending on the gig.

Cheers, Mike.

Can"t disagree with your valid points Mike. I like XLRs built in for reasons of convenience. I"ll take your point about usb recording but I do think a sequencer is handy, particularly in the wedding band context.

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

And I guess it depends on what you qualify as 16 part multi-timbral. With keyboards like the MODX that has 8 oscillators per sound or the Korg Pa arranger series with 24 highly configurable oscillators per patch, there's a fuckton of things you can do with just a few patches, just takes more internal programming.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

In my view, the hindering factor in most all in one 73/76 boards is the organ.

FA-07 - great bread and butter sounds (EPs are meh), supernatural synth engine sounds good, is plenty deep for most gigging players and is simple enough to use, 16 parts is great, sample pads are amazing. Action and organ sounds suck = no thanks.

MODX: Pretty much same as above. Element level editing and the superknob possibilities make it the most flexible keyboard I"ve owned (I can pull off live tricks on that that I couldn"t do on anything else I"ve played before), but I just do not enjoy the action or organs.

Forte 7: Same as above. It"s a weighted 76 which gives it + marks, and VAST is stupidly deep. Again, the organ let"s it down (though better than the Roland)

Kronos: CX-3 engine will do most gigs well, but still not quite there for picky people. Can get good results with if you a run a sub out into a vent and then back in. Probably closest to best all in one.

Nord Electro: Sample synth is limited. ROMpler sounds aren"t great.

Stage 2/3 73/76: Overall most fun and playable all in one IMO, but 2 x synth parts can be very limiting compared to everything else above.

If Yamaha really have nailed the organs in the YC-61...if they make a YC-73 and include an update that turns it into a fully fledged 8 OP FM synth on top, they"ve pretty much done it. Aftertouch would be a nice bonus, but many gigging players don"t use it.

I do often think we"re the minority when it comes to things like this. I know many players in successful bands who use a VR-09 and don"t give a second thought about the C/V/rotary issues, or that it doesn"t have 16 parts. Similarly, I know many guys who just get Nords because everyone else has them. I was at a keyboard workshop once and the guy leading it said companies sell so many of their lower-mid ranged instruments because most players don"t go any deeper than the presets.

TLDR: We"re the minority, and our desert island keyboards might be overkill for many players.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

S- 73/76 keys with decent semi-weighted keyboard (think Roland VR, EP, Yamaha NP etc)

- vast repertoire of bread and butter sounds

- ability to split/layer up to 16 with overlapping zones

- useful features like usb audio recording, 16 track sequencer, samples pads etc

- two pairs of stereo outputs for routing different layers/zones as required

- XLR outs for sending stereo piano direct to the desk

- internal power supply with C14 connection

- weight kept at 10kg if possible

There are a variety of contenders out there that meet some of the above criteria but lack the full zoning and feature set needed, eg

Roland FA07

Korg Krome EX 73

Roland Juno DS76

I think...

FA-07 meets everything except the XLR outs and internal power supply.

Krome meets everything except the XLR outs and internal power supply, second stereo out, trigger pads

DS76 meets everything except the XLR outs and internal power supply, second stereo out, 16 track sequencer.

Actions are a question mark.

BTW, Kurzweil Artis 7 you mentioned is only 4 zone.

I don't use a sequencer and don't need 16-part multi-timbality... I'd much rather have aftertouch. Just to point out that everyone's wish list will be different. Another example... in my case, if I had to use just one board, I'd want to easily be able to change sounds on either side of a split on the fly, so I could basically operate it as if it were two keyboards. That's a challenge. I posted about it at https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2939701 (which could probably use an update).

If you pick something with halfway decent MIDI functionality, you can quality organ at minimal weight... Viscount Legend EXP, an iPad with B-3X, Gemini module, etc. That's a plus for a board like the MODX7 which has enough free panel space to place it, even to velcro it down and leave it vabled up so it still moves and sets up like a single board.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

my .2 cents:

Available now. New or used.

Mystery Board

Length: 1,234 mm (48-9/16")Depth: 456 mm (17-15/16") Height: 138 mm (5-7/16")

Weight:

13.0 kg (28 lb, 11 oz)

Specifications:

Keyboard - 76 Keys Organ, Initial Touch/Aftertouch

Joystick

6 Control knobs (Assignable)

9 Control sliders (Assignable), Cross Fader

3 Articulation Switches

Display: Main Display : TFT Color Wide VGA LCD Touch Screen | Sub Display: OLED (Live Control view)

Display Size: Main Display : 800 x 480 dots (9 inch) | Sub Display: 589 x 48 dots

AWM Stereo Sampling,

Polyphony: 256 (max.) (128 for Preset Voice + 128 for Expansion Voice)

Number Of Voices: 1,652 Voices + 58 Drum/SFX Kits

Voice Compatibility: XG GS GM GM2

Keyboard Parts: Right 1, Right 2, Right 3, Left

Voice Expansion Memory: Approx. 1.8GB

Reverb: 59 Preset + 3 User

Chorus:107 Preset + 3 User

DSP: Variation: 358 Preset (with VCM) + 3 User | Insertion 1-28: 358 Preset (with VCM) + 10 User

Master Compressor: 5 Preset + 5 User

Master EQ: 5 Preset + 2 User

Part EQ: 28 Parts

Vocal Harmony Presets: Vocal Harmony: 54 | Synth Vocoder: 20

Vocal Effects: Mic Effect: Noise Gate, Compressor, 3 Band EQ | Vocal Effect: 23

Number of Preset Styles: 550

Featured Styles: 491 Pro, 39 Session, 10 Free Play, 10 DJ

Fingering Modes: Single Finger, Fingered, Fingered On Bass, Multi Finger, AI Fingered, Full Keyboard, AI Full Keyboard

Style Controls: INTRO x 3, MAIN VARIATION x 4, FILL x 4, BREAK, ENDING x 3

Compatibility: Style File Format (SFF), Style File Format GE (SFF GE)

Number Of Multipad Banks: 448 Banks x 4 Pads

Recording Tracks: 16

Recording Modes: Quick Recording, Multi Track Recording, Step Recording

Data format: SMF (Format 0, Format 1) , XF

Audio Recorder: WAV (44.1 kHz, 16 bit, stereo), approx. 0.8 GB (80 minutes) per Song

Registration Buttons:

Score Display Function

Lyrics Display Function

Metronome

Transpose

Octave Button

Internal Memory 58GB

External Drives: USB FLash Drives

Headphones Socket

Headphones Socket

Microphone Connection: Yes (Combo Jack) , Phantom Power (+48V) available

MIDI: MIDI A (IN/OUT) , MIDI B (IN/OUT)

Aux In: L/L+R, R

Digital Out:Yes (coaxial)

Line Outputs: MAIN (L/L+R, R) , SUB (1, 2) , SUB (3, 4 / AUX OUT)

USB To Device: Yes (x 3)

USB To Host

LAN COnnection: Yes (*) , Standards: IEEE802.11b/g/n (IEEE802.11n 5GHz: not compatible)

A tiny bit heavy for OP, but 32 MIDI channels. Has excellent pianos, good drawbar organ; in fact, sound palette and quality state of the art. No organic on-board synth, but easy access to variety of parameters. Runs about 4K.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

I feel the same way but probably because it is the most important of the instruments to me. My wish is for Crumar to put the Gemini module into the Seven with a SW keybed and 9 drawbars. The only needed sound that is missing is a saxophone. I've gave up waiting for that . I was hoping that Crumar would make a DX9 drawbar unit with VB3 contained in it then you could just slap that onto any k/b but it looks like i have given up on that Idea as well.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

To cover synth, orchestral, organs, acoustic and electric pianos, I think you will need at least 2 keyboards -- a piano action and a synth / organ action.

Kronos 61 + Nord Stage 2 HA76 is my most efficient gigging combo. To play chords, notes and one-shot samples with my feet, I love using an FCB1010...

Then you can augment as needed -- Vent, tube preamp, personal monitor mix, Minitaur for analog bass, external rack FX, USB breath controller, etc. All pre-wired on a "pedalboard".

Hard to beat as far as flexibility, variety, performance, cost, ease-of-use, and setup / breakdown. We have so many options nowadays.

Yep, it's got to have two keybeds for me too. I usually have the Numa Compact 2 lower and the MODX7 upper on a two-tier Invisible Stand for gigs. Pretty lightweight and quite comprehensive soundset. MODX7's action is low-meh quality, but the organ I've tweaked with the new Rotary2 effect just kills! LOVE it. Compact2's action is polarizing at best but I've come to rather like it. I use the aftertouch at nearly every show...for vibrato on clavs and flute noises. MODX7 supports and responds to aftertouch via midi, and Compact2 is an pretty good two-zone controller. I'm really digging my current rig. Not a one-board does it all, but two that do almost everything. An iPad does my samples, sequencing, and tracks when needed, both of these boards do midi and audio over USB...just awesome.

BTW, VR09 fixed the Rotary & C/V issues almost two years ago with the last firmware update. Its really a darn good organ/synth machine. Also rather marginal action with no aftertouch, but it is super fast for synth leads and that cool quick trigger on organ.

Yep, it's got to have two keybeds for me too. I usually have the Numa Compact 2 lower and the MODX7 upper on a two-tier Invisible Stand for gigs.

Funny, that's the EXACT setup I had for last night's gig, a combination that I'd never used before. It worked out pretty well.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I own the FA-07 and it is my most used board outside of the home.

I also own the Kurzweil Forte 7 which is more of what I consider to be my "76 ultimate gig board" for me. I just don't schlep it everywhere I go.

FA-07 takeaways:

Action/Layout - GREAT. FOR THE MONEY. I think it's very usable for it's purpose and I think the action is really good for its price range. I prefer this action to other FA-06, Krome or MODX keybeds for me. Sample pads are great. Screen is good. Build quality is plastic. Line lump external power supply, the knobs and buttons and connectors are all cheap. I have no expectation that it will not be broken in 7 years and I don't ever expect to pass it on to my kids. I'll keep it till it dies and leave it at the curb for zero resale value having gotten my money's worth out of it. But those keys feel pretty good to me for a midrange build/budget. I think this is a much more feature full instrument that Juno stuff.

Synths - EXCELLENT. Really, if you want to layer and split and have really good super natural synth tones, in my opinion, this is the one you want on your list for the budget range you are describing. There is no shortage of synth sounds and Axial add ons to keep you going for this class of product. Pads, leads, synth bass.

DX Pianos and FM style sounds - EXCELLENT - lots of good stuff here

Strings - EXCELLENT - for gigging purposes, you have a lot to worth with here.

Acoustic Sounds - GOOD - you just have to find them - but some good usable percussions, hits, flute, accordion, brass, upright bass, it's there and there are some good some bad. Take the time to dig through it and there are some good offerings here.

Acoustic Piano - OK. The Roland SN pianos aren't really my thing. They don't suck. They're fine for gigging. I prefer most of Roland's competition personally for acoustic piano, but you also can't make an instrument without some usable piano patches. And they seem fine enough for other people I play with.

EP - Rhodes, Wurly, Clav - WEAK - Like the acoustic pianos, you have to have some usable things here and there are some good sounds for tunes I play, but this is a category where I may likely prefer an external option like a second board, module, iPad app, etc. to be a lot more convincing.

Organs - POOR. There are actually some usable organ presets here that you can fall back to, but it's not really a clonewheel. You may likely want something to give you drawbar control, chorus, vibrato and more leslie control at the minimum. I can still jump into these presets for a cover tune, but you won't really "play organ" on it. Anything will be an improvement here - get an XK-1 or Nord as a second keyboard, MIDI a Gemini or Viscount Module, get BX-3 on iPad or Vent the organ on the sub out. I am now using BX-3 for iPad. If I am just playing "Sweet Caroline" at 1am to close a bar down, a preset is fine otherwise.

I'm pretty pleased with this for some of the things you asked for - splits, layering, connectivity.

I may demote it further in 2020 to just use it as a rehearsal and jam session board that truly lives in the trunk of my car only and pick up a Jupiter X as my "gig" synth. Everything else here I believe to be accurate - it has a lot of features and a good keybed for the money.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Ah, the Genos ^^^

Quite a board, no doubt about it!

This is the Tyros successor right?

If I had a spare £3000, and wanted the best arranger keyboard, I wouldn"t hesitate. Alas...

I just listened to a Genos demo. Wow, very nice! If that keyboard could be done as an ensemble instrument, i.e. limited recording capabilities, simple sequencer/patterns, same sound set and $3kish price tag, I think Yamaha would have wide-coverage performance keyboard of note. Right now the MODX7 ticks many boxes for the OP, though a Kurz PC3 variant as a 76 would also come close. Unfortunately the MODX doesn't have a full-function organ model, and likely won't get one. The Fantom 7 is coming into focus as the closest thing right now to a Genos (less the extensive 'band in a box'), and it's much more likely than the MODX to have a full-function Tonewheel model added this year. With the extensive Axial expansions, plus new sounds in 1.5 (I have the beta installed) - including SN, the Fantom is poised to be a monster work horse. Unfortunately, like the Kronos 73 (which would be also a fantastic choice), the Fantom exceeds the weight limit proposed. I suspect there will be an FA07 replacement that's a Fantom redux that will fit the OP's request well. It may take awhile, though.. :idk:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Is the MODX7 action really that bad? I was going to order it tomorrow over the FA-07 but now this thread has me leery. I"ve got to play it 3 hours per day. My requirements are good pianos, EPs, acoustic guitar, and brass (mainly a lead trumpet). Organ is not a priority. I need multiple split points (at least 3, preferably 4), and the ability to turn off MIDI input on channels 5/6/7/8/9/10/14/15/16, which are used for sequences in my rack modules. I still want MIDI Out access to any of those module channels or my iPad, from the keyboard.

Thoughts?

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I just listened to a Genos demo. Wow, very nice! If that keyboard could be done as an ensemble instrument, i.e. limited recording capabilities, simple sequencer/patterns, same sound set and $3kish price tag

To get the price down, you need to make sure you're taking out hardware, not just software. So maybe what we really want here is closer to a PSRSX900 with 76 keys and aftertouch, etc.

Unfortunately the MODX doesn't have a full-function organ model

or, from the OP's wish list, extra outs, XLRs, sample pads, full sequencer (though it does have some now), and full 16 zones (well kinda... it can do 8 internal and 8 external).

Is the MODX7 action really that bad? I was going to order it tomorrow over the FA-07 but now this thread has me leery. I"ve got to play it 3 hours per day. My requirements are good pianos, EPs, acoustic guitar, and brass (mainly a lead trumpet). Organ is not a priority. I need multiple split points (at least 3, preferably 4), and the ability to turn off MIDI input on channels 5/6/7/8/9/10/14/15/16, which are used for sequences in my rack modules. I still want MIDI Out access to any of those module channels or my iPad, from the keyboard.

MODX7 action is quite poor for piano, but I"m not sure FA-07 is necessarily better. It's overall feel is nicely more substantial, but it's also less even in its response from front to back, so pick your poison.

re: turning off MIDI input on some channels on any of the boards in question... for stopping them from sounding, worst case, you can assign them to a silent/muted patch.

If you want to address the board's 5-pin DIN MIDI Out and USB MIDI Out simultaneously, that could be problematic on the MODX.

I guess the Krome EX and Juno DS76 are probably out based on action. Maybe Kurzweil Artis 7 is worth a look.

It's not that hard to find a perfect Genos under 4k. It has the scarlet "A" letter, after all. 32 MIDI channels, who knew? It already has all those arranger buttons, which can be configured all sorts of ways, including to external MIDI. The Montage is way ahead as a sampler or audio interface, but way behind as a controller. The genos is meant for live play and controlling alot of instruments.

Chuck, I am salivating to hear you review a Genos. Seriously.

It looks like the ultimate mainboard for a live rig, so long as it's augmented with analog and a second bed like the Numa, or whatever.

28 lbs. I don't think anything more armed for live action is availble at such a weight. It has a vocoder onboard with phantom mic power. For live synth tweaking, you add a Virus TI, or JP8080, or a crave, whatever. I did not see if it has any CV capability. Knowing Yamaha I suspect it can't. So maybe ideal would be a second board that does like the SLmk3 or something.

Or just do a VIRUS TI as second 61 note board. 1300 on used market now. Fantastic action. 16 Channels, incredible effects for the whole stage.

Genos/Virus TI Ohhhhhh yeah. Stand back.

You could score a war on the fly with those two, LOL.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

To cover synth, orchestral, organs, acoustic and electric pianos, I think you will need at least 2 keyboards -- a piano action and a synth / organ action.

That´s not urgently true,- matter of practice instead.

Ask a guy like David Sancious, covering every keyboard part imaginable on a single (heavy) weighted keyboard controller like Peavey DPM C8, Yammi KX88 and Korg Kronos 88.

A.C.

It depends on your style and repertoire. Certain organ techniques can be impossible (at least for most mortals) on a hammer action, or painful and even blood-inducing.

[

MODX7 action is quite poor for piano, but I"m not sure FA-07 is necessarily better. It's overall feel is nicely more substantial, but it's also less even in its response from front to back, so pick your poison.

re: turning off MIDI input on some channels on any of the boards in question... for stopping them from sounding, worst case, you can assign them to a silent/muted patch.

If you want to address the board's 5-pin DIN MIDI Out and USB MIDI Out simultaneously, that could be problematic on the MODX.

I guess the Krome EX and Juno DS76 are probably out based on action. Maybe Kurzweil Artis 7 is worth a look.

I"m fine with a synth action. Are either close to a TP/9S in feel? Can either do at least 3 splits?

No music stores carry the Krome or Juno DS76 around here. Guitar Center had a Kross. What a cheap, awful action on that one, like on a $79 keyboard from Walmart. Artis is too heavy - I want an under-20lbs board. And I"ve lost my faith in Kurzweil the company. Never again, unless it"s a Proteus-like rack module with a collection of their greatest patches.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Another Roland FA-07 user here. I normally use it in a two KB setup.

I would not be averse to using the FA-07 as a single KB solution in a pinch.

I agree with brotha Jeff's assessment of the FA-07 sounds and features. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

It depends on your style and repertoire. Certain organ techniques can be impossible (at least for most mortals) on a hammer action, or painful and even blood-inducing.

Just a minor pushback on this, and maybe grist for another thread, but: For the small subset of players who come to organ "through" a weighted/HA rompler, with no reference for the correct action, it's not at all impossible or even painful to accomplish smears, repeated notes, or other organ-specific techniques on weighted keys. It is a little like how some guitar players use tremolo picking to "play" the echo they hear on recordings, before they learn that the sounds they are hearing are made with an outboard effect.

I'm not saying they are the same. Things definitely change once you get your hands on the real thing, and it's nigh on impossible to go back once you've "graduated." But it is definitely more than possible to move "forward" through HA on the journey to legit action, and I would even go so far as to say it's possible for many players taking a "legit" approach to their organ playing, to stay at the HA-stage throughout their development, without visits to the ER as a result.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I"m fine with a synth action. Are either close to a TP/9S in feel? Can either do at least 3 splits?

No music stores carry the Krome or Juno DS76 around here. Guitar Center had a Kross. What a cheap, awful action on that one

I believe the Krome and Juno DS76 can both do 16-way splits. Neither feels like a TP/9S. In fact, they feel more like that Kross. (The Krome uses the same action as the Kross; I think the Juno is in the same general vicinity.)

ETA: Actually my comment applies to the Juno DS61. I have not played the 76, and do not know whether it has the same action as the 61, or if it has the better action of the FA-07.

No, I"m asking between the MODX7 and the FA-07, Scott. Are either of them close to a TP/9S? Will either of these do the splits and MIDI channel assignments I described? I"m pretty much down to those two boards. Unless I"m completely overlooking another board with similar capabilities, under 20lbs.

Thanks, Scott, or anyone else who knows.

No, I"m asking between the MODX7 and the FA-07, Scott. Are either of them close to a TP/9S? Will either of these do the splits and MIDI channel assignments I described? I"m pretty much down to those two boards. Unless I"m completely overlooking another board with similar capabilities, under 20lbs.

MODX7 definitely does not feel like a TP/9S, I have both (the Fatar in the Numa Compact 2X). I played the FA-07 only for a little while some time ago, so I don't want to say for sure, but I don't think it felt as good as my Numa.

FA-07 splits 16 ways, MODX splits 8 ways internal plus 8 ways external.

MODX will not respond to MIDI on any channel that you haven't assigned an internal sound (part) to. I don't know how the FA handles that. As I said earlier, worst case, you could assign a silent/muted patch to a channel, but hopefully there's a better way, because even assigning a silent patch may affect your polyphony.

Sending out the MODX MIDI and USB ports simultaneously could be an issue. It usually only sends out one at a time, but it is possible to do some external redirection to get around that. See https://www.yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/modx-midi-usb-and-midi-5-pin-simultaneously (and also the other posts linked to from there). This may or may not address what you need to do.

The other variable (besides action and MIDI capabilities) would be the actual sounds. You said you need "good pianos, EPs, acoustic guitar, and brass (mainly a lead trumpet)." The Roland has their recent SuperNatural piano and EP (though personally, I'm so-so on the SN piano and not at all a fan of the EPs). The stock acoustic guitar and brass sounds come from the XV-5080 (so about 20 years old), though you can improve that selection with the freely downloadable SRX-based expansions. Yamaha's sound set is generally more modern, though which is better can be subjective. One big difference, though, is that the MODX also gives you a gigabyte of space for loading new samples, so you can get other pianos and EPs for it (including Busch's nice Purgatory Creek EPs).

It's not an easy choice. Off-hand, I'd say FA is simpler (well, depending on what you're trying to do), has the advantages of a VA engine and a clonewheel engine, and a stereo assignable auxiliary output (to which you could send the organ to get a better rotary sim out of it), and can split/layer 16 sounds (internal or external) instead of 8 of each, has a full sequencer, lets you assign multiple sounds to a MIDI channel, has sample trigger pads, and arguably might have the better action. That's a lot of advantages. But personally, I think Yamaha tends to sound better, it has better seamless patch transitions, it has a DX7-compatible FM synth, the ability to load in new sample sets, the ability to put two insert effects on a sound instead of one, touchscreen interface... each has a lot to offer.

I used to feel differently, but 73/76 key boards feel very awkward to me, for several reasons.

A) Middle-C isn't in the right place. I always do a double-take when I sit down, and it feels weird. Where-as 61 keys feel more natural coming from a full 88keys.

B) very few vintage keyboards use it. DX7 is the biggie, and I'm know there are a few others. But Organs are usually 5 octaves (61), as are many Wurli's and other vintage mainstays.

C) 61 with two octave transpose buttons puts you one button press away from a full 7 octaves. A 6 octave board doesn't really help with that.

This last one really is the kicker. I don't really find much advantage to subtracting ONE octave if I plan on having to use octave shift buttons. There's something very simple and intuitive about having a board that just shaves off an octave from either end, with one button press to get back each octave. And if you're looking to cut down on size/weight, 6 octaves is still fairly substantial, 5octaves suddenly puts it in a smaller class. Typically you can fly with a 61 without paying for oversize/weight baggage.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?