Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Basses you want, but do not need

Last weekend I attended a bass camp - I try and do those about twice a year, just to reinvigorate my interest in playing. One of the upsides is getting to play other people's basses :) Two in particular really struck my fancy:

1. Sire V8 (4-string): incredible neck, bit on the heavy side but what a load of bang for the buck!!!

2. Squier VM Jaguar: this one really, REALLY impressed me.

The Squier was a beater bass, complete with a "producer switch" and chopsticks taped to it by way of a Gary Willis ramp. But I'll be damned, it was an impressive bass. Especially through the all-tube preamp which our teacher had brought along. I was riffing on Sabbath and early Uriah Heep for about ten minutes before I realized where I was and why I was there. Which was NOT to riff on Sabbath and Heepsongs :D

Anyway, needless to say I now want one of those Jags. I definitely do not need it. Which basses are on your want-but-don't-need list?

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have several I want but don't need. Luckily they are not super expensive.

In truth, I only need one, my first and favorite 1991 MIM Fender P.

If you want the others your going to have to see my friend, Cole Dead Hans.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I had an opportunity to buy a vintage fretless Fender Precision a few years ago -- a '73, I think. But it was pretty expensive and frankly it would just sit around. I don't really play anything right now that suits it.
"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

This list could get so long...

Basses I WANT but don't need:

Rickenbacker 4001 or 4003 or Cheyenne or...

Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Noel Redding signature model Jazz Bass

Schecter Elite 5

Carvinâ¦

Godin Freeway

Music Man Stingray 5

Rockbeach

Reverend

Basses that I "need"

Fretless 5 string version of:

Any of the above

Tom Clement

Godin A5

Kubicki X Factor

a good acoustic bass

What I REALLY need:

More time to play what I already have

More talent

More Money

... and a fretless 5 string

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Count me in for a Sire Marcus Miller...I'd have to look a little closer to decide on which version, I think they're up to the V10. I'd like a 5-String since I don't own one and don't feel comfortable when I pick one up.

Next, a pre-fender (18V) Kubicki Ex Factor.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

This list could get so long...

Basses I WANT but don't need:

Rickenbacker 4001 or 4003 or Cheyenne or...

Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Noel Redding signature model Jazz Bass

Schecter Elite 5

Carvinâ¦

Godin Freeway

Music Man Stingray 5

No,

Rockbeach

Reverend

Basses that I "need"

Fretless 5 string version of:

Any of the above

Tom Clement

Godin A5

Kubicki X Factor

a good acoustic bass

What I REALLY need:

More time to play what I already have

More talent

More Money

... and a fretless 5 string

No, you need a Music Man Stingray 5. Take it from me.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Another bass that I'd like but don't need is an early 70's Ricky 4001 to replace the one I sold. Blonde, please.

I'd hang it above the couch and gaze longingly at it every day.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

• 1 month later...

I've been watching a lot of Rocket Scientists videos in anticipation of seeing them at Progstock next month. Don Schiff has me wanting a NS Stick. Not that I have the coordination to play it properly.

Fretted:

[video:youtube]

and fretless:

[video:youtube]

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

• 2 weeks later...

I want a solid body U-Bass so I can cut most of the body off and bolt it to the top horn of my Strat.

Hillbilly double neck?

I have 2 more or less P basses, one is a Peavey Fury from the 80's and the other is a parts bass - Warmoth J neck with ebony board, Alder P body, EMG PA and Schaller bridge and tuners.

I want to make it fretless and tune it to BEAD with Rotosound Tru Bass strings.

I've had all sorts of fun stuff but I made it go away. 8 string, vintage Klira "Beatle" bass with the cool lower point, various hollow and solid body abominations. I don't miss any of them.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Speaking as someone who has owned over 150 basses (I'm not bragging, more of an admittance of a severe problem), the only basses I want happen to be ones that I've sold. In particular a 69 jazz, 74 p bass, and a 73 Ric 4001, all of which all sounded magical to my ears and on tape.

Surprisingly I currently own one bass, a Sadowsky RV5PJ.

effvxot7u6.jpg

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

• 3 months later...

I"ve been playing the same 2004 Mexican Fender Jazz since I was a teenager, and though I"ve done a few mods over the years (hipshot tuner, Badass bridge, and, uh, black replacement pickguard) it really does everything I need. Since most of my gigs are on keys these days, I haven"t been able to justify any other purchases.

That said, I"ve wanted a Rickenbacker since I was a young lad. I stumbled on a fretless Japanese Fender at my local guitar store that really connected with me. And, for the love of god, a P-bass.

Actually, there"s a local luthier in my town that makes 'Ithacasters,' which as you might surmise are Fender clones. My local shop had one of his p-bass models in that I fell in love with â turquoise finish, metallic gold pickguard, flatwounds (as is my preference), and a tone knob that took it all the way from pillowy Jamerson to gritty Entwistle. A little too rich for my blood, though, seeing as I just bought myself a new organ...

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Have seen this thread title, and considered the snarky "All of them!" response, but realistically, I really don't need anything, so have very little desire to even look. I try to keep up with what's new, but, for my needs, I have 5 basses, a guitar, a drumset, keys, and tons of other stuff, so even lists of "I want" rarely interest me.

That said, I really miss my fretless Ibanez Musician ... Also, maybe an Epiphone Embassy...and, maybe a Dingwall Super J and/or a Super P... and........................ ;)

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.