Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stolen Guitar Justice

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Great to hear-except for making my blood freeze.

Several of my guitars, along with other valuables, are in a storage unit.

They are supposed to be safe.

guess not.

Storage in US? Your title shows Japan. I wouldn't worry too much if they are stored in Japan.

Storage units are not secure. I would advise caution.

My sister had her unit broken into. Not much that was valuable and viable but her stuff was left strewn about.

Camoflage and inconvenience are your friends at storage units.

You could go to the front counter at your local police station and inquire regarding stats on breakins at storage units.

For one idea, get an old, broken refrigerator off craigslist. Free section probably has something. Gut it, remove innards to make space. Put guitars inside, put in corner with door facing one wall, pile other stuff around it.

No longer obvious, too much work. Risky to stay and take everything apart hoping you have something good in the old refrigerator. Much lower possibility of theft.

Probably sounds crazy but in some areas, theft is rampant.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I know a guy with probably a million dollars worth of vintage guitars at this point... he keeps them in gun safes... nobody is getting in to those, and nobody is moving those things in a hurry. A simple motion activated camera pointed at them from a hidden spot is extra security... he gets an alert on his phone if anybody enters the room.

I have a storage unit I keep for my family that has some gear I don't use much in it. It's a climate controlled place only accessible from the inside... you have to use a code to enter, and walk through a gauntlet of cameras... there's cameras in every hallway. No thefts... even when people forget to lock their units. The guy who runs it and his son are great people and play guitar and they now allow bands to rent the units as practice rooms, which is something needed around here...

But the open air storage units? Bad news... any time my parents rented one of those within the first few days it was broken into and anything valuable/sellable was taken... it was obvious to me that it was the employees who were always overly interested in what was being loaded in that did it.

Great to hear-except for making my blood freeze.

Several of my guitars, along with other valuables, are in a storage unit.

They are supposed to be safe.

guess not.

Storage in US? Your title shows Japan. I wouldn't worry too much if they are stored in Japan.

Storage units are not secure. I would advise caution.

My sister had her unit broken into. Not much that was valuable and viable but her stuff was left strewn about.

Camoflage and inconvenience are your friends at storage units.

You could go to the front counter at your local police station and inquire regarding stats on breakins at storage units.

For one idea, get an old, broken refrigerator off craigslist. Free section probably has something. Gut it, remove innards to make space. Put guitars inside, put in corner with door facing one wall, pile other stuff around it.

No longer obvious, too much work. Risky to stay and take everything apart hoping you have something good in the old refrigerator. Much lower possibility of theft.

Probably sounds crazy but in some areas, theft is rampant.

Um...ya-I wouldn`t worry about Japan either. Unfortunately that`s not the case.

With the limited spaces in Japan, it would be physically impossible to have all my possessions here,

unless I paid double rent. My things in the U.S. were at my parents` place, but due to several factors which I`m not going to get into,

That place became unavailable. I had to do something with limited time and no way to be there personally.

It`s stressing me out on multiple levels, not the least of which is that I have to pay by credit card, and my CC company

fell prey to a bigger company. They have basically shut down all international connections, which means that someone with access to the U.S.

banking system has to help me pay for the storage unit. Thanks to `money laundering` and `financing terrorism` paranoia-which of course rarely catches the

real bad guys but makes life a headache for everybody else-international money orders have also become basically impossible.

I have to either link to someone`s U.S. bank account or give them my CC details and send cash to them so the can make a payment.

At least the unit is in an affluent area, far from the big city. There are things from many countries that can`t be replaced in it.

Welcome to my nightmare.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491